DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The same was said of Villarreal (not Valencia, dur) though, with the Yellow Submarines only allowing 35 goals in the league compared to Sevilla's 50. I think a frontline of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino and an in-form Lallana would give 99% of sides in the world trouble, Sevilla included. It's the back end that worries me. Sakho and Lovren had finally seemed to gel and was the first CB pairing since Agger/Skrtel that had any consistency, then Sakho's ban. Now it's Old Man Kolo and Lovren as the likely pairing. Yikes. Moreno is a wildcard every match, and he's playing against his old team. The central midfield pairing will be interesting too. Should be Can and Milner. They can be got at too.

Good point. Liverpool are definetly in the final for a reason and they´ve progressively gotten better in the competition. They edged out Augsburg barely in a two very close matchups. Then they easily dispatched Manchester. After that they played a very clever game in Dortmund and had an emphatic comeback win against them at Anfield. They steamrolled Villareal at home after an open match with a very last minute loss against the strongest home-team of the competition. Winning the final would be a good way to top off their international campaign.

Sevilla are just another level in the EL in the last few years, though. Even if they don´t pummel every opponent, they simply seem to get into grind-mode in every round, simply doing enough to get the results they need. Until their streak ends once and for all, we will probably always have to consider Sevilla favourites in Euroleague. This time it´s a little closer than the years before, though. And thinking about how close the actual results of the previous two Euro League finals were, this actually says a lot about how exciting this final COULD be.

• Like 1

So I was at the Emirates yesterday and now I've had time to reflect. 

The atmosphere is usually a bit tense, bit nervous, and if we don't score straight away we're screaming obscenities at Giroud (not me, though, i love that good looking bastard). Yesterday the atmosphere was really positive from the start. Everybody was joking around,

Can't believe what happened with Spurs. We came into the ground resigned to 3rd, just wanted to enjoy the day and give Arteta, Rosicky & Flamini a good send-off. As the goals were going in at St James' we couldn't process it. How could this be happening? Is this an elaborate wind-up? When Spurs got a goal back and Mitrovic was sent off, we feared the worst. How could they not beat a relegated team that were a man down? Especially when Spurs have been decent at coming back from behind, late on too. 

I know we didn't win shit this season, and we're disappointed our title fight went tits-up, but when we've been getting grief all year from spurs fans, telling us its their year, tides have changed, new era, london is white and blue... You can't blame us for celebrating. Especially since it's Spurs' best premier league season ever and we STILL finished above them. Anyway, the atmosphere carried on way into the night and despite the beers I'm feeling pretty decent today. 

• Like 1

United/Bournemouth rescheduled for tomorrow night (Tuesday). All ticket-holders will be admitted free and have their money refunded.

Sheffield Wednesday (won the first leg 2-0 vs Brighton) and Hull (won 3-0 at Derby) are in pole position for the promotion final.

Sign I am bringing to RBA on Wednesday: "Bring Back 3 Points From The Bronx or Don't Waste Your Time Giving Us an Apology". And yes I will be at The Place Across the Street AKA YSv 2.0 on Saturday.

According to the Guardian, Brighton would be the first team since WWI to lose only five regular season games all season and not get promoted to the top flight at the end of it. There's harsh and then there's THAT.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

United/Bournemouth rescheduled for tomorrow night (Tuesday). All ticket-holders will be admitted free and have their money refunded.

Sheffield Wednesday (won the first leg 2-0 vs Brighton) and Hull (won 3-0 at Derby) are in pole position for the promotion final.

All Yorkshire final? Get in! There should be four or five Yorkshire teams in the Prem, get rid of all of those Lancastrians and Southerners.

• Like 1

Hull are doing their damnedest to let Derby back into the tie. Currently 0-2 (3-2 total on aggregate, no away goals rule), still in the first half.

Also, this.

Hull are through to Wembley by the skin of their teeth, losing by that 0-2 scoreline. Derby went out on their shield tonight. It's Tigers/Owls in the YORKSHIRE DERBY next Saturday.

United winning 3-0 but LVG may have shat the bed in the process, playing all of his starters 3 nights from the FA Cup final...

Just read an article that Aston Villa could be sold soon, for around sixty million pounds. Given the kind of money that flies around in top level football, and how long they were a Premier League team, I found that number shockingly low even if they do have a lot of work ahead of them.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused as to how the Champions League spots would go for example if Liverpool were to win today.  Do they move Manchester City out of the CL or does England get five teams?  What would happen if Liverpool were already qualified because of how they finished?  Would Sevilla go in this hypothetical case because they are the runners up or would no one go from the Europa League?

6 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I'm a bit confused as to how the Champions League spots would go for example if Liverpool were to win today.  Do they move Manchester City out of the CL or does England get five teams?  What would happen if Liverpool were already qualified because of how they finished?  Would Sevilla go in this hypothetical case because they are the runners up or would no one go from the Europa League?

BBC:

Fifth-placed Manchester United have sealed a place in the Europa League group stages.

The Europa League place that Manchester City secured by winning the Capital One Cup transfers to the sixth-placed team in the Premier League, meaning Southampton are also assured of a place in the third qualifying round.

If Crystal Palace win the FA Cup, they will enter the Europa League at the group stage. Seventh-placed West Ham will enter at the third qualifying round, with Southampton moving into the group stage.

If Liverpool win the Europa League, they will qualify for the Champions League group stage.

There are no longer any Fair Play places allocated to the Europa League.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Just read an article that Aston Villa could be sold soon, for around sixty million pounds. Given the kind of money that flies around in top level football, and how long they were a Premier League team, I found that number shockingly low even if they do have a lot of work ahead of them.

That's like $100 million US. I'm going to start a gofundme campaign to get 100 million people to pledge $2 each so we can buy the team and have a $100 million transfer budget. It's basically the plot of UHF only for real.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

That's like $100 million US. I'm going to start a gofundme campaign to get 100 million people to pledge $2 each so we can buy the team and have a $100 million transfer budget. It's basically the plot of UHF only for real.

There's no way 100 million people are going to pass the Fit and Proper Persons test.

• Like 1