DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Unfortunately I do. On the plus side, live games rarely aired in Canada at that point, so I never had my hero rip my heart out live on television for me.

tumblr_n4p0xpBnTG1qaorn7o1_400.gif

I prefer the version where they replaced the ball with the trophy, but I can't find it.

• Like 1

Just think, this could have been YOUR division 1 league in america. Eight Colored Zones on the field (with players limited to the zones they could be in), two goalmouths on either side.. The scary thing isn't that someone pitched this to the US Soccer Federation and it got a positive response. The scary thing is that this got a positive response from FIFA.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/02/league-1-america-soccer-revolution-never-was?CMP=share_btn_tw

Adam Johnson - not guilty.

DAFUQ?

Jury found Adam Johnson guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child, not guilty of a second charge of sexual activity. Johnson admitted grooming the girl and sexual activity. Scumbag.

Bayern losing in a surprise 1-2 home defeat to Mainz and Dortmund winning their away game as a nice little set up for making Dortmund v Bayern on Saturday mean something. Bayern losing two in a row while still competing for prizes hasn't happened far too often, though. Not getting my hopes too high.

Bremen and Hoffenheim with important wins. Bremen even went and battered Leverkusen 4-1 in an away game. The top is pretty much moving at a snail's pace, aside from Bayern and Dortmund. 3-8 have a realistic chance at CL spots.

Bottom five seem to settle for a thrilling relegational battle as every year.

Not that there was any REAL hope that it would happen, but the last two weeks have essentially killed off Arsenal's claim for any silverware this season.  Yeah, I know they're still in the FA Cup, but the loss to Swansea just had this certain "we've mentally given up on this season (and probably Arsène as well), fuck it all" vibe, the likes of which haven't been felt since the League Cup lost to Birmingham.  I will also find it hard to believe that Wenger stays on if the current trajectory is maintained - Özil and Sanchez are likely not long for this team if he leaves, as well.

Not envying the inevitable rebuild that awaits the club.  If we fall into a malaise such as that experienced by United post-Ferguson, it may take quite some time to recover.  I don't even know who I could see at the helm - Klopp was the most logical choice, but Liverpool got to him first.

Not following BPL as closely as I could. It seems, however, anyone can beat anyone. The top 5 teams have chances to extent their lead (mostly Leicester), take over the top (mostly Spurs and Arsenal right now) or just close the gap (both Manchester teams) time and again. They all fail on most instances, even at home against lower table teams. This is so astonishing to watch, yet so entertaining.

I still feel as if Leicester can get their break down any given day, starting a huge negative run, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that there longevity this season is sooo unexpected. Arsenal seem to be back to their usual ways as described by Nick Hornby, but since they are still in contention at the beginning of March, they should be taken seriously. Spurs would be this seasons big surprise if it wasn´t for Leicester with their huge unbeaten run. City is the most boring option, but are definetly still in it should they win the game they have in hand. Lots of good stuff.