DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

You heard that clearly. They most likely don't even know what it means and were just chanting something they heard on a Liga MX game they caught on Univision Deportes and thought it would be funny to replicate it without even knowing what it means.

They haven't lost to City yet. They could still salvage the season if they beat City on Sunday.

Man Utd can still finish Top 4 if they win that game; it's a crazy season and there's a lot of pressure on City tomorrow. Should be an interesting game to say the least.

On the other hand, if they lose to City, the top 4 is pretty much gone for the year, West Ham are favourites for 5th, and Southampton and Stoke are both hot on for 6th... and you got knocked out of Europe by Liverpool. Which, by ManU standards, is a fucking disaster.

Guest Edwin

Atlético lost 2-1 to Sporting today at the Molinón which pretty much ended any possible run at the title and just confirms Barça is winning the title again, although they had a pretty decent lead already. Griezmann got a beautiful free kick in the first half and then as usual Atleti parked the bus, got over confident and got outplayed in the second half and within 10 minutes Arnaldo Sanabria and Carlos Castro scored 2 for Sporting. Godín's presence was missed as he's out with an injury and Gímenez having to leave the game early was also notable.

Good thing Atleti are looking for a new 9 for next season which is what they really need as that has been their weakest area this season. There's rumors of Costa returning, Cavani, Slimani, Higuaín and Jovetić. If anything I hope it's Higuaín and not Costa returning. The selling point on Cavani is that he's not happy in France as he's playing as a back up to Zlatan, but Ibra is leaving this summer and there's a good chance Cavani will turn into their primary 9.

Time to focus on the Champions League and hopefully Godín will be back by then and Gímenez will be fit too as they will key on defense against Barça and the MSN.

So I'm reading the most recent book by the Secret Footballer, and he says he's going to reveal one of the big dirty secrets of how football is run. And then he says that the thing is, managers don't trust black players to have brains, and so any time there's a centre midfielder who's the game manager for the team, it's a white guy*. And when you look at the back four, the two centre backs are always either two white guys, or a white guy and a black guy - never two black guys. Black players are there to be good athletes who do as they're told, and stuck out on the wings to run really fast. And now I'm watching Match of the Day and almost every team is set up like the book says (West Ham have two black centre halves), and it's really freaking me out.

* Except Yaya Toure, who'd the exception that proves the rule, and he plays with guys like Nasri and Silva who do a lot of thinking for him. Although he seems to have forgotten that Samir Nasri is technically not a white man. Also, Gianelli Imbula wasn't in the Premier League when he wrote it, and he might be another exception.

Reports are coming out of Spain of Mourinho's agent claiming he's signed a pre-contract agreement with Manyoo and he gets paid copious amounts of money if he's not hired by the end of May and then again in June.

Bayern grinds out a win in Cologne, keeping Dortmund at bay. Hamburg's loss at home against Hoffenheim puts the former within the grasps of the relegation zone and the latter on the relegational play off rank. Hannover seems dead.

Who do you think gets relegated at seasons' end?

Tough call. Hannover seems to be a given. Frankfurt has looked awful aswell, they might turn it around with their new coach. 16th place (releg playoff) could be between Hoffenheim, Augsburg, Darmstadt and Bremen. Hamburg are on a good way to get involved aswell.

Edit: regarding "the secret footballer": While the idea that they lack intelligence is of course racist bs, I often had the impression of African National teams that they'd have their major weakness in tactical and disciplinary areas. Maybe it's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if clubs don't let them into those roles or give them training in those areas.

Reports are coming out of Spain of Mourinho's agent claiming he's signed a pre-contract agreement with Manyoo and he gets paid copious amounts of money if he's not hired by the end of May and then again in June.

I saw an interview with him yesterday and he said he's not interested in taking over a new team until July.

Leverkusen and Dortmund with wins today. Dortmund should be set for 2nd place, still only five points behind Bayern. Amazing seasons by both teams. Leverkusen is only two points behind a CL spot.

Augsburg and even Stuttgart, today's losing teams, are now more or less part of the fight survival.

• Like 1

One of the best and most influential figures not all of football.

I wish more athletes were as open and honest as Cruyff too. Dude gave no fucks and it was a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

Cruijff was also famous outside of soccer in The Netherlands and Dutch-speaking Belgium for his quote-worthy comments. I don’t know if any of those are known in English, so I’ll put up some of my own translations:

About football:

‘If we have the ball, them can’t score.’

‘The ball at least has to go between those two poles.’

‘If you can’t win, you have to make sure you don’t lose.’

‘Playing soccer is very simple, but the most difficult thing is to play soccer simply.’

‘The Italians can’t beat you, but you can lose to them.’

‘If the Italians get one chance, they score twice.’

‘If you play possession, you don’t have to defend, because there’s only one ball.’

‘If you see a player sprinting, he started too late.’

‘If you want to play faster, you could run faster, but essentially it’s the ball that controls the pace of the game.’

‘You play soccer with your head, because the ball is faster than your legs.’

‘You have to shoot or you can’t score.’

‘The simpler, the better. Because the fewer choices a player has, the greater the chance he’ll do the right thing.’

‘Soccer is meant to be played in a 4-3-3 system. You can’t play with two strikers, because then you get uneven numbers, which makes it impossible for a squad to function.’

‘Soccer is a game of mistakes: the ones who makes the least mistakes wins.’

--

Other quotes:

‘Every disadvantage gots its advantage.’

‘If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better.’

‘Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.’

‘A lot of the time, something has to happen before something happens.’

‘It’s better to fail with your own vision than with someone else’s.’

‘There’s only opportunity to be there at the right time. If you don’t, you’re either too early or too late.’

‘I’m against everything. Until I make a decision, which is when I’m for it. Seems logical to me.’

‘The truth is never just like what you think it’d be.’

‘You’ll only understand it when you comprehend it.’

‘The difficult thing about an easy game is to make a weak opponent play badly.’

About Zlatan Ibrahimovic: ‘For a bad player, he’s got a very good technique. For a good player, he’s got a bad technique.’

‘I rarely make mistakes, because I hate getting it wrong.’

‘I’m not a believer. In Spain, all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they get onto the pitch. If it works, it’d always be a draw.’

‘I love working as long as it’s work I love.’

• Like 4

So many wonderful techniques but my two favourite are the glorious first touch and beautiful finish at 5:18 and then the outside of the foot beauty from a terrible angle at 12:40.