DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

Question -- Does anyone on here follow any other leagues aside from the EPL?

I know ReiseReise follows Bundesliga, but aside from that I'm not sure if anyone follows MLS aside from their local clubs.

Inb4 "NO, LOL THE EPL IS THE MOST WELL ROUNDED OUT LEAGURE IN SOCER."

Seriously though...

I used to follow Spain really closely before the Pep era hit its stride but it got pretty boring after that. Atletico winning was a nice change but seems a one off. Bundesliga was an easy watch in Canada back in the GolTV days but it's now hidden in SportsNet's awful $20/month channel. I'm going to pass on that.

• Like 1

I know ReiseReise follows Bundesliga, but aside from that I'm not sure if anyone follows MLS aside from their local clubs.

Seriously though...

Does the Championship count? The push for the Prem always fascinates me, especially this time of the season as the homestretch heats up.

I tend to follow Allsvenskan (Swedish top flight), heavily rooting for IFK Gothenburg. They have come back into top ranks over the last couple of years, getting edged out of the championship last year but winning back to back Cups. I have a pretty tough time seeing actual matches, but always check out results and table from up north.

Half-time in EL. Sevilla, Dortmund and Liverpool seem like locks for the next round. There's still little doubt regarding Fenerbahce and Shakthar. But their opponents need two goals to eliminate both respectively.

The Championship Playoff always brings the excitement and high drama. Who could forget Watford's amazing semifinal vs Leicester City where Watford saves a penalty and rub down the field to score a game winner at the final whistle.

• Like 1

Seriously though...

Been folowing MLS and Metro since the league began in 1996 and have been an ESC member since 2001. Also follow NASL since I go to Cosmos games. Would like to get into the NWSL but it's impossible for me to get to Sky Blue games via public trans and the games are rarely televised.

Seriously though...

I closely follow the Eredivisie (Dutch roots), usually catch the Ajax match on the week plus any other match ups between teams competing for the other CL spot/Europa League places.   Sometimes I'll watch the Jong Ajax matches in Eerste Divisie.

I casually follow Bundesliga. Don't get to see too many games, but DW television has their Kick Off show that airs twice a week, which mostly sticks to covering the top flight division. Sometimes they cover the 2nd division, the national teams- men's and women's, and they do Europa and Champions league mentions as needed, but yeah usually it's all Bundesliga.

The Monday episodes give highlights of the round and full scores. The Thursday shows preview upcoming matchups. In the offseason you get good stuff like the Your Story episode, which was an unnarrated doc featuring different people around the world watching the World Cup Final.

I used to follow Spain really closely before the Pep era hit its stride but it got pretty boring after that. Atletico winning was a nice change but seems a one off. Bundesliga was an easy watch in Canada back in the GolTV days but it's now hidden in SportsNet's awful $20/month channel. I'm going to pass on that.

I would love to see the subscriber numbers for Sportsnet World. It's such an immense fucking ripoff.

CL Quarters:

Wolfsburg vs Real

Bayern vs Benfica

Barcelona vs Atletico

PSG vs ManCity

If I was a betting man, I'd think Real, Bayern and PSG def. making it through. Barca vs Atletico has been so close over the last few years, but I'd still say they are heavy favs.

EL:

Braga vs Shakhthar

Villareal vs Sparta Praha

Bilbao vs Sevilla

Dortmund vs Liverpool

All the talk will be on Dortmund vs Reds,but somehow I see Shahthar and one of the Spanish teams sneaking into the final. Sevilla, EL-experts, are the easy choice, but the other Spaniards performed strong aswell.

Guest Edwin

Interesting how both competitions end up with 3 La Liga clubs and 2 of them have to eliminate each other as they'll be playing against each other in both competitions...

Villarreal should do to Sparta Praha what Lazio didn't do in justice for that homeless lady their idiotic ultras pissed on.

It's come to this: SAVE US SPECIAL ONE!!!!! If he buys United and fires Van Gaal I will gladly vote for Trump (same applies for Hillary, Bernie or Cruz).

Guest Edwin

NYC vs. OC was intense again. Far from a good game, skill wise as both teams struggled to get any coordination going, but intense and entertaining.

I take it Stiven Mendoza is the MLS equivalent of Diego Costa, flop wise?