DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: KENNY OMEGA vs. BARON CORBIN

RIPPA

[MM16] 1st RD - KENNY OMEGA vs. BARON CORBIN  

123 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Corbin would be one of those that if we ever did a FutureStars tournament would be high. He has a pretty good setup, and legitimately seems dickish, so makes a great natural heel. However, Omega has stepped it up Brian Pillman style, if Brian Pillman was a good Japan-style heel. Corbin's a couple years out from a good run though.

Membership in the Bullet Club has done wonders for Omega's mean streak, but I really didn't mind the goofy otaku gimmick.  At least Omega knew that comedy had a place in pro wrasslin.

I like the stuff I've seen from Corbin this year, but Omega's run as BC Enforcer has been really fun to watch.

Corbin's improvement has been outstanding, and more then anything to me has shown how valuable Albert/A-Train/Bernard/Tensai can be as the main trainer since it seemed like he just took giant steps forward as soon as DeMott is gone.

But this was a shit draw for him, as Omega might legitimately have taken the most steps forward to becoming a superstar of anyone in wrestling this year, with matches that were pretty kickass.

I didn't know so many people here were so high on Omega here. I voted for Corbin, not because he is my favourite wrestler but because I can't stand Omega while Corbin actually entertains me in his simplistic approach.

Omega's matches, for the longest time, all seemed to run together in one blur of being the same. Taking over as BC leader has made him change it up but he still annoys me. Corbin has gone from "This guy is terrible" to "Wow! This guy is going to be HUGE!" in an amazingly short amount of time

James

• Like 1

Gah, I accidentally voted for Corbin.

There is always one

At least I accidentally voted for one I still liked, so I'm cool with either.  Now if I accidentally voted against Bayley, well shit I really done fucked up.

my favorite kenny omega match is the one where he injured marufuji's shoulder and then kept hitting him right in the injured shoulder

dude is a great athlete, and I wish he'd go away. Him ascending to a upper card role in NJPW is basically going to keep me from watching NJPW for however long he's there.

Corbin, meanwhile, has improved greatly, is having some good-to-great hoss fights, and has one of the best characters in NXT. Turning Go Away Heat against the crowd like he's done is really, really fun to watch.

and he's never like revved up his wrist for a kitten-soft face rake

People will bring up the Joe match and some of his other singles matches in support of Corbin, but I would argue his best performances were in the Dusty Classic.  He was the MVP of that tournament in my mind.  

Corbin/Rhyno vs American Alpha was the best match in the voting period for everyone involved.

I like Corbin but,

3be0d8f33aa8766d72c2032f2d0c6a76.gif

Game over man.

And this is why I won't vote for the goof.  Seriously what in the hell is this?  Take your goofy chainsaw arm shit and cut your own head off. 

• Like 2

The Joe match, the recent and excellent Gargano match, and yeah, definitely the Dusty Classic have shown Corbin can be a smart, really damn good worker. But Kenny Omega is on another level in my mind. Unique nerdy jock charisma, some low end MOTYCs, and a bunch of fun tag matches make this a pretty easy choice.

If Corbin keeps on developing on this curve, he could be a strong candidate next year. If he avoids injury, Omega will have had a full year at the top of New Japan's card, so he too could be an even stronger candidate. Basically, the future is bright for both of these mugs.

People will bring up the Joe match and some of his other singles matches in support of Corbin, but I would argue his best performances were in the Dusty Classic.  He was the MVP of that tournament in my mind.  

Corbin/Rhyno vs American Alpha was the best match in the voting period for everyone involved.

Man I don't know. I feel like Corbin was the worst guy in that match, which is by no means a knock on him. All four killed it.

Speaking of which where the hell was Rhyno in this tournament? His NXT run was great, especially since he was there to get other people over.

I don't want to punch Kenny Omega, but I do kind of want Baron Corbin to punch him.

A good start, but I'm going to need more from you. This is an uphill battle!

Omega is just the sort of Indy geek that Corbin would bypass through his expert Fetching-Demott-Gatorade skills?