DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: KENNY OMEGA vs. BARON CORBIN

RIPPA

[MM16] 1st RD - KENNY OMEGA vs. BARON CORBIN  

123 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I like Kenny well enough, but Crush was my favourite wrestler as a child and Corbin is my favourite now. Big, metal-as-fuck looking hosses ARE pro wrestling. The fact that Baron's made huge strides towards actually being good is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

That's not bad, but your heart just doesn't seem to be in it with this matchup. I'm sure you will show up strong when it comes time to vote for some doofus having an ok year.

I don't have a lot of time today. Also, I have no concept of Omega other than poor man's Prince Devitt mixed with Spirit Squad member.

I'm torn on Omega.

I can recognize that he's really good, but his shtick kills me. But he's almost good enough to transcend it.

I need to think about this one some more. 

I love Baron Corbin. I was probably the first one on his hype train and I've enjoyed the extra company since that train got rolling. He's improved dramatically and his heel persona is amazeballs. I can't pick against my boy now, even if he's going to lose.

Haven't voted yet, as I want to check out some more Omega before doing so, but from what I've seen, his schtick (to use someone else's word) comes off weird to me. Maybe it is his association with the Bucks, but it seems more like a nice guy playing a heel.

Corbin is, as Scott Hall pointed out, just a dick. There's more authenticity to his gimmick.

My conundrum with Omega is this: I'm not really a fan of his act, but at the same time, I can't argue that he isn't in masterful control of that act. Much like the Young Bucks (another incredibly divisive act), he strikes me as a guy who's incredibly self-aware and purposeful in how he chooses to deploy his antics. And you kinda have to respect the effort it takes to refine an act like that, even if the act itself isn't your cup of tea.

I voted for Corbin and here is my argument.

Omega has a higher ceiling.  When he's good he can actually be borderline great.  I loved him in matches v. Mike Bailey, Dorada, and yes even Tanahashi.  

Corbin is middling, but improving.  I've liked several of his matches to one degree or another, but loved none of them.

That said when Corbin stinks he just stinks.  He's a big oafish dude, it's going to happen.  When Omega stinks he's insufferable trash and it makes you mad because you know he's capable of being really good.  And he stinks a lot of the time.  

I mean I get the fact that Omega and Young Bucks New Day Tribute Act is very much in keeping with a youth culture built around YouTube stars, animated GIF lol'ing, and the bastard children of "U mad!" memes, but usually it just trolls me out of giving a fuck.  So I went with Corbin

I may be giving too much weight to Omega having two really good matches in the last two months (KUSHIDA and Tanahashi) and his upside being huge for the rest of 2016.  But I think he's clearly a really good wrestler whereas Corbin is just potentially becoming a good wrestler, and Omega's schtick never bothered me.  Also "the smart marks are gonna take away a star" is just as good a line as "Go back to Ring of Honor".

In all seriousness, we through out the term 'playing wrestler' a lot but to me, Kenny embodies that meme.  He's playing around being a wrestler with super exagerated emotional displays and pulling out stuff because he can.  I feel nothing watching him other than annoyance that a person with such physical tools has all the emotional maturity of a kid watching Sponge Bob.  Like honestly, when I heard the Cleaner nickname, I pictured the Harvey Keitel character from Pulp Fiction who came in and fixed things with a detached cool energy.  I did not picture him having an actual broom sweeping the floor.  There is nothing cool about Kenny, everything is too damn manic.

Baron despite being unpolished (let me wreck him for you discerning watchers - he misses clotheslines ALL the time in transition) at least doesn't come off like he's tonally inconsistant.  He works his position on the card, he works his gimmick and he works to his physical tools.  None of things Kenny does and I value them higher than the amount of physical skills a guy doesn't use effectively. 

Top Three Baron Corbin moments -

1) Selling being unconscious (specifically waking up) after Joe's Kokina Clutch

2) The stretch run of the Rhyno/Corbin - American Alpha match, taking a Chaos Theory from Gable (who face it, is small) and the tilt-a-whirl end of days

3) Suckering in Johnny Gargano into chasing him into the ring for the finish

He's got more brains than we give him credit for, Kenny couldn't be dumber.

• Like 2

I like Omega for the most part, but I've found his NJPW run to be underwhelming, but Corbin has been exceeding my expectations.  Corbin gets my vote, because he's been one of the best parts of my favorite wrestling show.  Omega has been just a dude in a promotion I like.