DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I used to not really be that into the Stardust character, but seeing how committed Cody is to it (especially with some of the things he said, I think on Twitter, shortly after Dusty's passing) made me just loosen up and learn to enjoy it. Now I'm an even bigger fan after seeing that video. I too wish that the Cosmic Wasteland stable got off the ground. Having Stardust have two "henchmen" would be super old school fun and at least give the Ascension something to do.

It's odd how The Ascension were way over in NXT, but as soon as they showed up on the main roster, the "WWE Universe" greeted them with indifference.

Not really.

They got over in NXT as a goof.  The crowd was firmly against them, then one night noticed that Konnor yelled "Yah!" every time he made a strike and started chanting along with him.  So he got over sarcastically, really, then just sorta stayed over.  But it was never a "These guys are awesome, let's cheer for them" kind of way.

• Like 1

I used to not really be that into the Stardust character, but seeing how committed Cody is to it (especially with some of the things he said, I think on Twitter, shortly after Dusty's passing) made me just loosen up and learn to enjoy it. Now I'm an even bigger fan after seeing that video. I too wish that the Cosmic Wasteland stable got off the ground. Having Stardust have two "henchmen" would be super old school fun and at least give the Ascension something to do.

It's odd how The Ascension were way over in NXT, but as soon as they showed up on the main roster, the "WWE Universe" greeted them with indifference.

Over in NXT? Seems to me that the general consensus was that they pretty much sucked. They were pushed and pushed hard in NXT, but most people weren't buying it. NXT has so many successes that sometimes we tend to overlook their failures, the Ascension would certainly get my vote as dismal failures with perhaps the only worse one being this Drifter character... Oh, Bull was pretty bad too...

They were over and also sucked. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I think their only chance on main roster was going hard with faux-Road Warriors gimmick. Have them squash local jobbers most weeks and brag about how great they are, but then have them cheat like crazy to hang with real teams. I think that could've gotten somewhat over as a heel act. They don't have nearly enough talent to be "just another tag team."

Its pretty cool Amell and Stardust continue their feud to do these things for cancer fundraising. I wasn't a fan of the Stardust character at first either but they keep doing stuff like this I'll support when I can.

Cody is, at heart, a big honking goofball nerd. And I think he's more free to be himself as Stardust than he is at being Cody Rhodes. If that makes sense.

So..Vince McMahon originally wanted to fire Titus O'Neil over that incident, but HHH and Joey Mercury managed to talk him out of it.

Glad Joey Mercury's name turned up considering there were RUMBLINGZ~! a few weeks ago that he was either missing or in rehab.

• Like 2

Not really.

They got over in NXT as a goof.  The crowd was firmly against them, then one night noticed that Konnor yelled "Yah!" every time he made a strike and started chanting along with him.  So he got over sarcastically, really, then just sorta stayed over.  But it was never a "These guys are awesome, let's cheer for them" kind of way.

Ascension's biggest problem is that both Konnor and Viktor are completely miscast in the gimmick.  Viktor is a perfectly acceptable wrestler, but he's not really big and imposing enough to pull off the faux-Roadies gimmick.  And if you pay close attention to the NXT return matches they've had since getting brought up, Konnor has shown glimpses of having an actual personality/charisma that doesn't suit the gimmick.  Put both guys in a gimmick that better suits their strengths, and they might be an alright tag team.

I still maintain that the only talented one in the Ascension was the one who got fired for beating up them cops. And then didn't get fired from TNA for beating up them women.

The Ascension were over with Full Sail the same way Corbin was over when they counted the time on his squashes or how Tye Dillinger is now: No one really thought they were good, but they found a way to amuse themselves during their matches.

The Ascension were over with Full Sail the same way Corbin was over when they counted the time on his squashes or how Tye Dillinger is now: No one really thought they were good, but they found a way to amuse themselves during their matches.

The same way Hack Myers was over in ECW with the "Shah" chant.

I never saw the early Ascension stuff. Epico was certainly an interesting choice. Raquel Diaz really, really testing my "don't be a creep about the divas" rule. I also had absolutely no idea that Jason Jordan has been around that long, I'm glad he found something that seems to be catching on a little.

I kind of liked this version:

I F'N loved the Ascension (brought to you by White Wolf).

Even after they broke them up, they still held on to some of the mystique. Unfortunately, they really weren't that over back then. The drunk driving Brit who got fired was very unfortunate since (in hindsight) he was the last vestige of the old mystique.

It today's mind blown moment for me - I had no idea Kenneth Cameron/Bram was the same person

This is like last week when I discovered Elle King was Rob Schneider's daughter