DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Someone a page or three back remarked about WM being in Minneapolis next year, but I kept thinking it was supposed to be returning to Ford Field. So in searching for news about this, I came across a WWE.com article about dream locations for WM, and this was part of the list...

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/9-potential-wrestlemania-venues/page-9

With the continuous work they're doing on the stadium, that would be amazing, but the University and Brothers of the Holy Cross refused to even let U2 hold a free concert in Notre Dame Stadium at the height of U2's popularity, so this would never happen. Plus, with the weather off Lake Michigan, the weather could be below zero at WM time, or pleasantly spring-like. We have the most shitty-unpredictable weather here. That said, Notre Dame was a longtime venue for WWF events and I believe one of the first closed-circuit locations for early WWF PPVs. I never knew what the backstory to that was, but I imagine it had to do with someone in the front office being an ND fan.

Anyway, what would be a dream location for WM in the US or Canada? Most of the locations in the article were scattered around the world, but if they could get around the weather perils, Soldier Field in Chicago would be a great location, but part of that is just me really wanting an NXT show at the All-State Arena.

Just to clarify this again - Mania isn't confirmed for Minneapolis next year.

For whatever reason - the WWE changed it's mind and opened the bidding up.

Orlando - during Rumble week - announced that they were bidding for Mania 2017

• Like 1

I wouldn't call that a dream location. I would actually call that a dump, and have when I went there for bowl games.

First - they just renovated it (supposedly that is why they are bidding again)

Second - no one was implying it was a Dream Location. Craig set up the story by saying that 2017 was in Minnesota. I was correcting that part

I live in the northeast, so I know the weather conditions wouldn't be ideal, but from a visual standpoint, it would be cool as hell to see a WM in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park. I was surprised they would take a chance with MetLife Stadium, with no dome, in March for WM29.

I wouldn't call that a dream location. I would actually call that a dump, and have when I went there for bowl games.

First - they just renovated it (supposedly that is why they are bidding again)

Second - no one was implying it was a Dream Location. Craig set up the story by saying that 2017 was in Minnesota. I was correcting that part

FWIW, I mentioned that someone else said that, and I was searching for clarification because I also heard Ford Field in Detroit.

I live in the northeast, so I know the weather conditions wouldn't be ideal, but from a visual standpoint, it would be cool as hell to see a WM in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park. I was surprised they would take a chance with MetLife Stadium, with no dome, in March for WM29.

Well they could do it at Yankee Stadium if they did an old school start time of say 4pm for the east coast. But the logistics of that many people trying to leave Yankee Stadium at 11:30 at night would be an absolute nightmare on the highway and the subways around the stadium. Anyone who's been to a game knows what they're like on a regular night.

So Ryback tweeted out a joke about Punk's back surgery, which he very well could have caused, a few days after Bryan's retirement.  

Yeah, fuck that guy.

Ryback's most likely setting up a heel turn as his babyface character isn't going anywhere. Ryback is actually pretty good at many things, but the fuckin' Secret shit was terrible and fucked up his character. He's better as a meathead heel.

#TweetAndDelete - no big shocker there.

So Ryback tweeted out a joke about Punk's back surgery, which he very well could have caused, a few days after Bryan's retirement.  

Yeah, fuck that guy.

Ryback comes off as an insecure, sensitive guy.  Everyone needs to watch that Table for 3 with him and Daniel Bryan where Bryan just needles him relentless in a joking matter and Ryback takes it so seriously.  I'm guessing Ryback took that Punk thrashing on the Colt podcast hard.  Continuing to bring it up I think just makes him look worse.

• Like 1

If Orlando, I would assume it would be Bright House Stadium and not the Citrus Bowl.

Newish building, holds about 45k for UCF football and clearly they have business dealings with UCF considering they're using the campus arena for NXT. Since Orlando has become WWE South for their operations, I wouldn't be stunned.

Yeah - the stories about when Orlando bid seemed confused on where it is the Citrus Bowl or not.

So report that as fact. Others just say the Citrus Bowl is what hosted the last Mania.

I blame PWI

Mark Nulty, who had been around the wrestling business for a number of decades in different positions, most notably doing commentary and ring announcing as well as heading up the WrestlingClassics.com website, passed away yesterday following a quiet battle with cancer.

According to his long-time friend Paul Herzog, who publicly announced the news, Nulty was diagnosed with stage-4 lung cancer after a recurring cough, despite not being a smoker.  This began an ongoing battle as the cancer spread despite rounds of chemotherapy.  It spread to his brain and Nulty quietly, and not in pain, passed away.

Nulty was broke into the business in Joe Blanchard's Southwest Championship Wrestling as a TV host and ring announcer.  He went on to work for World Class Championship Wrestling.  Nulty appeared as an ring announcer for a number of promotions over the years and handled commentary on Ring of Honor DVD releases for several years of the promotion. 

He was a historian in his own right and hosted a number of shoot interview DVDs that he sold through the WrestlingClassics website.

Our deepest condolences to Nulty's friends and family.

I wish WWE would bring 'Mania to Ohio, but I understand the weather is too volatile in March/April to risk holding it at an open stadium it's Ohio.

Oh, and I love Ryback trolling CM Punk. I'm sure the thin-skinned Punk will block him.

FTFY

• Like 1