DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

and before someone says "they would never do this shit to a main eventer," that's precisely the point. Big stars have special rules in every sport, but you have to set standards for your rank-and-file before they decide to fuck off and start doing whatever they want. 

I always suspected Titus had a learning disability when he went berserk over the term "washrag."

Learning disability? Come on.

I was joking. I respect you guys enough not to do emoticons. It was a joke based on how he reminded me of dimwitted middle school bullies I dealt with. 

I like him a lot in ring. 

There is also that thing where at some point when someone gets old they start getting having unpredictable mood swings as things start going off in their brains and who knows what sets them of.  70 isn't too young for that to start up.

Of course, that is a description of Vince at 40...so...with Vince, trying to diagnose what is "normal" what is "Vince normal" what is abnormal and what is "Vince abnormal" is probably impossible.

No, you cannot do that type of behavior to the average CEO, but this is Vince McMahon. I know it was a different time, but the guy asked for, and thenreceived the Doomsday Device from the LOD while out at a bar.

I think it was actually the Hart Attack from Bret and Anvil, wasn't it?

I'm not sure we can compare total divas to what happens between the white lines of RAW and Smackdown.  Total Divas is a reality show on E! and there has to be alcohol fueled drama to keep people like me watching. Vince has to allow the producers of the show to do what they feel would be best for ratings.  RAW/SD! is Vince's house and probably will be until the day he dies. I don't think Vince is above fucking around far from it but now he has mainstream media sources covering it, legit sponsor deals etc.. and he's the owner, he wants people to discuss the WWE as a professional organization..  shit like people tweeting out how seriously WWE is treating concussions, He loves that shit..

No, you cannot do that type of behavior to the average CEO, but this is Vince McMahon. I know it was a different time, but the guy asked for, and thenreceived the Doomsday Device from the LOD while out at a bar.

I believe the story goes that LOD did the spot, but did it gently as to not hurt him. Then Bret piped in that the Hart Foundation wouldn't take it easy on him, and proceeded to plaster him with the Hart Attack.

I believe the story goes that LOD did the spot, but did it gently as to not hurt him. Then Bret piped in that the Hart Foundation wouldn't take it easy on him, and proceeded to plaster him with the Hart Attack.

I'll be damned. Bret really did screw Bret.

On Bam Bam Bigelow's shoot, he said that Vince took the finishers from everyone in the bar (who was a Wrestler). It was right before he started needing the neck surgery... that he ended up getting several years afterwards.

I posted this over on PWO, but I'm going to do here too, because this feels reactionary in the fact it was done at all, but very offputting in the delivery to me.

Did people see the Post article with Titus' text to the company released?

There's something hugely messed up there.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/10/fans-call-vince-mcmahon-a-racist-for-suspending-black-wrestler/

But WWE later blasted the racism allegations, claiming O’Neil’s punishment had nothing to do with the color of his skin.

“The suspension of Titus O’Neil had nothing to do with race and everything to do with unprofessional conduct,” they said in a statement.

The company claimed O’Neil even “acknowledged the gravity of his mistake” in a text message.

“I feel like sh** now so if you have to let me go, I understand. Stupid mistake,” he wrote, according to WWE.

They're putting his text message out there instead of some sort of more formal statement from him, and they didn't edit it or really sanitize it at all. I don't think he sent that text message on the idea that it'd be used as WWE's defense in the New York Post, and given the casual language, it paints him as all the more unprofessional, even in admitting his mistake. They had total control on what they could have sent and they specifically framed it the way that they did.

I'm lacking a background in this, but would a sports team ever do this in this way? 

• Like 1

I posted this over on PWO, but I'm going to do here too, because this feels reactionary in the fact it was done at all, but very offputting in the delivery to me.

Did people see the Post article with Titus' text to the company released?

There's something hugely messed up there.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/10/fans-call-vince-mcmahon-a-racist-for-suspending-black-wrestler/

But WWE later blasted the racism allegations, claiming O’Neil’s punishment had nothing to do with the color of his skin.

“The suspension of Titus O’Neil had nothing to do with race and everything to do with unprofessional conduct,” they said in a statement.

The company claimed O’Neil even “acknowledged the gravity of his mistake” in a text message.

“I feel like sh** now so if you have to let me go, I understand. Stupid mistake,” he wrote, according to WWE.

They're putting his text message out there instead of some sort of more formal statement from him, and they didn't edit it or really sanitize it at all. I don't think he sent that text message on the idea that it'd be used as WWE's defense in the New York Post, and given the casual language, it paints him as all the more unprofessional, even in admitting his mistake. They had total control on what they could have sent and they specifically framed it the way that they did.

I'm lacking a background in this, but would a sports team ever do this in this way?

Yes see Red Sox, Boston

• Like 1

Titus does the wrestling as a side gig. He's going to be on an episode of Tanked in April where he gets this custom tank for his office (Florida Gator themed). He has a sports management company so he could probably walk away if he wanted to.

Tanked has been hot garbage ever since they switched to "all celebrities, every episode."