DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/14/16

victor

* Heath Slater, Adam Rose, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas defeated Goldust, Jack Swagger, Zack Ryder and Damien Sandow

This is like the 2016 version of Italian Stallion, Rocky King and The Mulkeys vs. George South, The Cruel Connection and The Golden Terror.

Poor Fandango, couldn't even make it into that match.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the issue is for the elevation to take hold, Kalisto needed to successfully defend the title at least a few times. True, he isn't a hot act - and this is not the way to make him one. Now you've just made Del Rio, carefully built up since his return, look like a chump. Hurts both guys. Also, everyone hates this booking because nobody wanted to see Del Rio return at all, let alone have a stranglehold on one of the single titles for months.

In this vein, if the goal of putting the US title on ADR in the first place was to make him into a serious upper midcard heel, then he shouldn't have lost all these matches to Kalisto, including one for the title.

If they'd soured on ADR and were trying to turn Kalisto into the new Rey Jr., then he shouldn't have lost the damn title the Smackdown after he won it on Raw. This isn't a "hot feud", this is shitty booking that helps literally no one.

• Like 5

I mean, they wonder why viewership is down. It's because not one of these assholes, Roman Reigns and if they're not careful, Brock Lesnar, are anything special or worth watching. Why would you even bother liking any of these dorks when they always look weak as shit or you can't trust that someone is actually strong based on one or two shows.

In this case, Kalisto just looks like someone who got lucky, but isn't really any good.

The total lack of any sense of history this company has, which is goddamn ironic considering the WWE Network is RIGHT THERE, is frustrating. Jesus, even go back and look at the feud between 1-2-3 Kid and Razor Ramon. Many of us knew 1-2-3 Kid could go, whether if you saw him wrestle elsewhere or his matches in WWE, namely the match against Bret Hart, but really, he was a jobber until the Razor Ramon feud made him. There's shitloads of examples for the writing and booking staff to borrow from and their total reluctance to re-use any past storyline is insane considering that the likely biggest movie of all time, is as close to a re-make of an earlier entry in that series as you can get.

So...Alberto can beat Cena, Swagger and Kalisto clean....then joins the League of Nations and somehow loses that skill. Needs help beating a guy, when he already beat him WITHOUT help just weeks ago.

Yeah, normally I applaud screw jobs because they help keep workers looking strong in defeat, but a bullshit screw job on a guy that Del Rio has beaten clean before that costs Kalisto a title he's barely held for a day does not make either guy shine.

* Heath Slater, Adam Rose, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas defeated Goldust, Jack Swagger, Zack Ryder and Damien Sandow

This is like the 2016 version of Italian Stallion, Rocky King and The Mulkeys vs. George South, The Cruel Connection and The Golden Terror.

Poor Fandango, couldn't even make it into that match.

I'm curious to see if they have this new team become a thing, and what they'd be called. Still like the Outcasts better, as a whole.

I would guess it's to set up a decisive win on a bigger stage, but... because WWE Cage Matches don't prevent interference (in fact, they encourage it) there's not really a stip match they can go to that can say 'Feud over, this guy's better than that guy' short of HiaC. Which is too big of a match for a midcard deal.

To me, its simply going backward to put the strap back on Del Rio when WWE desperately needs to make new interesting stars.  Del Rio clearly is never going to move the needle so there is no point in advancing the dead on arrival League of Nations group or even stalling Kalisto's elevation if it proves to be a brief respite until the Royal Rumble.  Del Rio is like Teflon in that they have pushed him so hard over and over and nothing sticks to him.  All the accolades they've wasted on him (Royal Rumble winner, Money in the Bank Winner, Beating John Cena, World Titles) and he's still barely over.

I was suprised they put the belt on Kalisto in the first place.  I figured they'd wait until Royal Rumble to pull the trigger, just to have a bigger stage for the moment.  I guess they thought it would have the same reaction as Reigns winning the WHC on the 12/14 RAW, but that was a perfect storm of things coming together at exactly the right time.  And as much as we rag on him, Sheamus isn't actually hated and he didn't mail in any of his matches with Reigns.  Del Rio has often been a zombie in the ring since his return and any momentmum he had was killed with that MexAmerica garbage.  It didn't benefit anyone to do it right then.

I can usually let flaky booking slide if I can at least see what they were trying to accomplish, however misguided.  I don't get this decision at all.

Unless Kalisto is hurt and we haven't heard about it yet.

Kalisto dropping the belt back is a real "fuck you WWE" moment. I guess he got too big of a pop for winning and it threatened Roman's spot or something. God this company is clueless.

Say what you will about the stupidity of 50/50 booking the US title back to ADR, but the part I bolded in there is really dumb and the worst kind of tin foil hat thinking.

• Like 4

George South and the Cruel Connection? Were the Gladiators busy?

It is stll backwards to announce it because people aren't going to tune in to see a heel win back his title after a day.  Actually putting the belt on Kalisto in that scenario would have been a good decision because it becomes an event rather than a return to the status quo. 

George South and the Cruel Connection? Were the Gladiators busy?

Wasn't George South one of the Cruel Connection?

Kalisto dropping the belt back is a real "fuck you WWE" moment. I guess he got too big of a pop for winning and it threatened Roman's spot or something. God this company is clueless.

Say what you will about the stupidity of 50/50 booking the US title back to ADR, but the part I bolded in there is really dumb and the worst kind of tin foil hat thinking.

It was tongue in cheek. I know that's not the reason Kalisto lost, but there's a good argument to be made that's the reason Ambrose had his legs cut out, Cesaro was never given a run as a face after Mania 30, and Orton's return was botched when he was red hot with the RKO vines. IMO other babyfaces have been purposely kept cool to keep Roman as the man. Whether or not it's the right call it's obvious that's it has happened so I made a joke about it in this instance.

It was tongue in cheek. I know that's not the reason Kalisto lost, but there's a good argument to be made that's the reason Ambrose had his legs cut out, Cesaro was never given a run as a face after Mania 30, and Orton's return was botched when he was red hot with the RKO vines. IMO other babyfaces have been purposely kept cool to keep Roman as the man. Whether or not it's the right call it's obvious that's it has happened so I made a joke about it in this instance.

You could *maybe* make that argument for Ambrose, but Cesaro was never even close to Reigns's level of popularity, and the idea that they purposely sabotaged Orton is just ridiculous.

So no, it isn't "obvious."