DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2016 Hall of Fame

ChesterCopperpot

I think we should start a Twitter campaign to open a Referee's Wing. First inductee, Tommy Young.

If not him, my vote would be for Charles "L'il Naitch " Robinson.

Earl Hebner? When his TNA run is done, obviously. 

He was a significant referee in WWE kayfabe land. 

Putting Seth Rollins in that Sting package was a real kick in the dick.

Sting has repeatedly put Rollins over as the best in-ring performer he's ever wrestled. I'm 99% sure that Sting approves.

Sting puts over everyone, though. That's his thing. It's just a real kick in the balls when Seth Rollins, the guy who ended his career being careless, is in his HOF package saying "Oh I was such a big fan of his as kid". Fuck off, Seth. 

Also, and this probably isn't actually relevant, but he was a god awful ref. Telegraphing finishes with a slower count, stealing the spotlight.

10000% agreed. He was fucking terrible. Not only did he telegraph all of his pins, but also telegraphed all of his bumps, was almost always in the way, and just generally shitty. I can't believe I bought into the "he's the best ref ever" shit WWE was feeding me as a kid. He ruined every big match looking back. He was just so bad. His "I'm distracted so I didn't see this" shit was the worst.

I'd love to see Lex Luger get inducted this year along with Sting. It seems unlikely but he's one I've always hoped for as one of my favorite legends. Luger and Sid are maybe my top two most wanted inductions currently. I'm another that's been hoping each year for Cyndi Lauper to get her induction but figure Lemmy gets this year's as well. I could see Stan Hansen being an outside shot of getting in. If they do a diva induction, I think Jacqueline's a solid choice of the ones mentioned. Should be a pretty top class for as big as this WM is expected to be attendance wise.

Putting Seth Rollins in that Sting package was a real kick in the dick.

Sting has repeatedly put Rollins over as the best in-ring performer he's ever wrestled. I'm 99% sure that Sting approves.

Sting puts over everyone, though. That's his thing. It's just a real kick in the balls when Seth Rollins, the guy who ended his career being careless, is in his HOF package saying "Oh I was such a big fan of his as kid". Fuck off, Seth. 

Also, and this probably isn't actually relevant, but he was a god awful ref. Telegraphing finishes with a slower count, stealing the spotlight.

10000% agreed. He was fucking terrible. Not only did he telegraph all of his pins, but also telegraphed all of his bumps, was almost always in the way, and just generally shitty. I can't believe I bought into the "he's the best ref ever" shit WWE was feeding me as a kid. He ruined every big match looking back. He was just so bad. His "I'm distracted so I didn't see this" shit was the worst.

I was always annoyed that he would get physical with the wrestlers. Like Triple H would be holding the ropes on an abdominal stretch and Hebner would KICK HIS FUCKING HAND rather than apply the 5 count and DQ the guy.

It's pretty much standard refereeing these days, sadly.  I did the spot numerous times - it just sort of became part of the standard abdominal stretch hold spot.   The workers expected you to do it.

However, I only did a Hebner count once in my career - and that was after I took a bump through a barbed-wire board.  (It was Canada.)

The term "referee's discretion" covers so much stuff.

It's my second least favorite ref spot.

Number one (and it's my last favorite spot, period) is the sunset flip from outside, heel grand the ropes to prevent bring brought into the pin, ref instead of breaking the hold by the face instead helps him for no salient fucking reason by logging the heels hands off the rope then goes into the count.

I hated it when I was 8 years old. I still hate it.

• Like 2

It's my second least favorite ref spot.

Number one (and it's my last favorite spot, period) is the sunset flip from outside, heel grand the ropes to prevent bring brought into the pin, ref instead of breaking the hold by the face instead helps him for no salient fucking reason by logging the heels hands off the rope then goes into the count.

I hated it when I was 8 years old. I still hate it.

Did that one too, same reasoning.  I regret nothing.  It got a pop. 

• Like 1

Since I don't watch the shows and follow only online, and am a pretty cynical person, I was thinking that the Warrior Award was an illusion to a hall of famer that drops dead only months after being inducted. . . . 

I could be mistaken but what I recall Warrior saying in his speech was that the WWE Hall of Fame should have a spot/award to recognize some of the hard-working staff members behind the scenes, like Jimmy Miranda.