DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2016 Hall of Fame

ChesterCopperpot

Wait, they're opening the WWE Hall of Fame museum in the same Amusement park as the Impact Zone?

Are they already done with the Warrior Award after one year?

I guess

It's weird - Meltzer was talking like the class in finalized but they haven't announced a celebrity inductee either so who knows (And it's possible the Warrior Award is where the the celebrity comes in)

The Celebrity award is/was supposed to be Regis. And the Warrior award doesn't necessarily have to be every year. 

Normally loathe to posting Meltz's WON passages, but this too good to skip. From his quickie Bossman bio:

Traylor was in particular lauded for never breaking the gimmick, which wasn’t easy in certain cases. Cornette was hilarious on promos and Traylor had to stand behind him and never crack a smile or show any emotion. At another point, Cornette, Traylor and the Midnight Express were in a cab taking them from the airport to the arena. They got to the arena parking lot, and the cab driver was getting their baggage when he accidentally slammed the door on Traylor’s hand. Traylor, knowing fans were watching, very calmly said, “Uh, brother, you mind opening this door for me? You closed it on my hand.” The cab driver opened the door and freaked out. Traylor told him, “Nah, I’m fine,” and no sold it all the way until he got in the building because of his gimmick. Then, when no fans could see him, he started screaming loudly in pain and cursing.
  • Like 3

That's awesome, lol.

I feel bad for WWE's PR department.  In one class, they've inducted a guy who got face reactions for playing a stereotypical pimp gimmick, guys who painted their faces with the confederate flag, and a guy who got over doing a crooked southern law enforcement gimmick.  Yeesh. 

(That said, I'm a big fan of Bossman and the Freebirds and they def deserve induction).

I heard that annecdote on Cornette's first RF shoot and I winced even then.

Also, fuck the PC brigade who are stating the obvious with these inductions for some degree of self-awareness-conscience-pleasing

I don't think it's the "PC brigade" so much as I think it's a section of wrestling fandom who are hell-bent on complaining about everything WWE does. 

I feel bad for WWE's PR department.  In one class, they've inducted a guy who got face reactions for playing a stereotypical pimp gimmick, guys who painted their faces with the confederate flag, and a guy who got over doing a crooked southern law enforcement gimmick.  Yeesh. 

Good thing the "real" media doesn't give one flying fuck about the WWE HOF.

I heard that annecdote on Cornette's first RF shoot and I winced even then.

Also, fuck the PC brigade who are stating the obvious with these inductions for some degree of self-awareness-conscience-pleasing

:rolleyes:

It's good that those who decry "political correctness" are so adamant about it.  That way, we all can easily know who the awful people are.

• Like 1

At the same time, don't expect everyone to be happy-dappy about these bad stereotypes being recognized in a positive manner.  I say this as someone who enjoyed the Godfather and Big Bossman because they were entertaining as can be.  I take no umbrage with any of them being inducted, even the Freebirds.  Wrestling-wise, they deserve it. But I sure as heck won't be cheering for anything confederate flag related.