DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

My buddy Mike Hayes summed up TNA bette than anyone could have imagined the other day

"I was never really into TNA but where they are now in comparison to their peak is just depressing. It's like seeing the girl that played Laurie on "That 70s Show" show go from pretty hot to looking like a meth addict

James

On 6/24/2016 at 11:54 AM, RIPPA said:

And this now shows you why TNA wants to sign all their people to exclusive deals where they control their indy bookings

The wrestlers already check their indy dates with TNA ahead of time to make sure there aren't any conflicts.  This all would've played out exactly the same even if the bookings went through TNA cause TNA is a disorganized mess and does everything last minute.

And costing him a payday isn't a great strategy to get Galloway to re-sign either.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh the irony of using That 70s Show for that metaphor

At least he referred to the product in whole when speaking of Laurie, as opposed to that one specific episode of Impact being all about Donna's bra.

• Like 1

So in Canada, on The Fight Network we get a weekly show called "TNA's Greatest Matches" and this week it was a spotlight on Awesome Kong matches and somehow, of the matches they chose, they had a Sojo Bolt-Kong match with a really blatant botch early on by Bolt where she tries to jump on the turnbuckle, trips, then kinda falls onto it before righting herself; they had a cage match where Angelina Love pretty clearly gets concussed and just lays in the ring for a while while the ref and Taylor Wilde talk to her, then awkwardly try to wrestle around it, before hotshotting the ending; and then they have a Tara-Kong-ODB 3-way match which has a moment where Tara gets involved with a fan (later revealed to be MMA fighter Kim Couture, and not part of an angle), they cut to a shot of security dragging Tara away saying loudly "Not here!" while the two wrestlers in the ring stop wrestling and watch as Tara is taken to the back, the announcers try to not talk about it while talking about it, the match resumes awkwardly because Tara isn't there, eventually she comes back and the announcers just say " Now Tara is back"  and never explain where she went or what happened.  And these three are on a show called "TNA's Greatest Matches"!!

• Like 2

On 6/24/2016 at 5:03 PM, DTTW said:

I know TNA is more popular in the UK, but is it really enough to warrant the cost of bringing over multiple talent for an indy show? Are they going to draw 1000+ because TNA talent are on a card? Sabu comes around town frequently and he isn't drawing 300+ and he's probably a bigger star than the modern TNA roster. I'm not being snarky, but I know a promoter blew $4500 on a show with some name talent and they barely drew 300 people and the promoter wasn't exactly excited about the turn out. How is this situation supposed to be profitable?

Southside generally draw decent decent crowds, 400+, and they'll run a few shows over that period with those guys. There's also a good chance that other UK promotions will use them at the same time, so the promoters will share the flight costs. I know the Southside owner is good friends with the PCW owner, they often book the same guys.

• Like 2

So I listened to the 45 minute rant from Cornette on Vince Russo and yep it is classic Corny for all his greatness and faults.  Apparently Russo is telling people that he basically went behind Dixie Carter's back to talk to execs from Destination America and POP TV that you are getting screwed with TNA.   So it is basically Cornette going through his entire history with TNA and how Russo weaseled his way into the power of the company no matter how many times he was out of the picture.  If you want to listen to Cornette say "I told you so" in his usual offensive over the top way then I guess this is for you.    And probably 95% of what he is saying is true but it is hard to swallow when he has to call Dixie Carter the C word a couple dozen times

• Like 2

Am I the only one overly hyped for the final battle between Brother Nero and Matt Hardy that is happening in Matt's backyard?  Matt Hardy's accent is my favorite thing in wrestling, but his gardener setting up the yard for Massacre might surpass that.  Feud of the year.  I'm not kidding.

• Like 4

Funny this is TNA for you story...Nothing was on TV this morning so I put TNA Xplosion on before I went out. There's a recap video of who's going to be the next entrant in the TNA Hall of Fame as the rosters on the stage and Dixie Carter comes out for the inductee reveal. This is meant to be a surprise till the viewer finds out. Nope. The HOF entrant is spoilt by a graphic as soon as the rewind video starts telling you XXX HOF Announcement. I haven't spoit this for those who don't know and I'm not aware how far we are into tapings.

On 24 June 2016 at 4:54 PM, RIPPA said:

TNA dicking over UK feds again

And then Meltzer from the WON boards

Cltl-A2WIAASShW.jpg

On 24 June 2016 at 5:03 PM, DTTW said:

I know TNA is more popular in the UK, but is it really enough to warrant the cost of bringing over multiple talent for an indy show? Are they going to draw 1000+ because TNA talent are on a card? Sabu comes around town frequently and he isn't drawing 300+ and he's probably a bigger star than the modern TNA roster. I'm not being snarky, but I know a promoter blew $4500 on a show with some name talent and they barely drew 300 people and the promoter wasn't exactly excited about the turn out. How is this situation supposed to be profitable?

On 24 June 2016 at 11:11 PM, RIPPA said:

Side tangent - TNA's two biggest sources of money right now are from India and the UK

The pound cratering sure isn't gonna help

This and the UK EU Referendum results. Sorry y'all!

9 hours ago, eastcoast_joe said:

Am I the only one overly hyped for the final battle between Brother Nero and Matt Hardy that is happening in Matt's backyard?  Matt Hardy's accent is my favorite thing in wrestling, but his gardener setting up the yard for Massacre might surpass that.  Feud of the year.  I'm not kidding.

I guess you aren't reading the entire thread dedicated to the Hardy feud

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eastcoast_joe said:

Well, I feel better knowing one is here ... I'm still not seeing it anywhere though, but I'm also not the savviest message board user.

It's on the main pro wrestling page...under the pinned discussion/photo/gif threads

4 hours ago, eastcoast_joe said:

Well, I feel better knowing one is here ... I'm still not seeing it anywhere though, but I'm also not the savviest message board user.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5070-the-hardys-not-really-dumpster-fire-but-kinda-sad-but-kinda-awesome-thread/

On 6/30/2016 at 5:54 PM, hammerva said:

So I listened to the 45 minute rant from Cornette on Vince Russo and yep it is classic Corny for all his greatness and faults.  Apparently Russo is telling people that he basically went behind Dixie Carter's back to talk to execs from Destination America and POP TV that you are getting screwed with TNA.   So it is basically Cornette going through his entire history with TNA and how Russo weaseled his way into the power of the company no matter how many times he was out of the picture.  If you want to listen to Cornette say "I told you so" in his usual offensive over the top way then I guess this is for you.    And probably 95% of what he is saying is true but it is hard to swallow when he has to call Dixie Carter the C word a couple dozen times

Jim Cornette is a 60 year old virgin angry at every woman who has rebuked his advances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Jim Cornette is a 60 year old virgin angry at every woman who has rebuked his advances.

I doubt it would have gotten to that point. More than likely, Cornette would have sought the services of a prostitute long before, then strangle her in a fit of rage. He discovers he enjoys the rush of killing a woman, so he seeks out other prostitutes to fufill his murderous, sexual desires. 

• Like 4