DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan's WCW Contract, Brother!

Honestly, that's a pretty hefty per diem when your trans and hotel expenses are all paid for. There's catering at the shows and I would imagine room service, so that $175 probably went up his nose, mostly.

What did Hogan tend to do at night once the show was over, anyway? I've never heard much talk of him being at the bar afterwards, or really hanging out with the boys in general.
I'm thinking a lot of nights resembling Herb Abrams death, except Hogan can't die because he sold his soul to the devil. That's how Hulkamania lives forever. Either that or writing bass lines for Metallica.
  • Like 1

Imagine for a second what Hogan might have asked for that WCW refused.

Hulk: "I want 25% of the gate when I'm on Nitro; 50% of all the merch; and what's that thing called where Kings get to sleep with all the chicks in their kingdom? I want that, with the Nitro Girls, brother."

Bischoff: "Hulk, we can't do that... "

Hulk: "Then gimme all that other stuff, brother."

WHATCHA GONNA DO, WHEN JUS PRIMAE NOCTIS RUNS WILD ON YOU?

• Like 3

I wonder how WCW would've turned out if they had given control to Paul Heyman instead of Eric Bischoff. 

you gotta remember that Bischoff had to regularly fight with the Turner execs. Heyman would've had to do the same, and he would've been worse at it.

I think this contract stemmed from Hulk putting out feelers to go back to Vince (watch the Bruce Prichard shoot with KC) in late 1997/early 1998. He had no intention to go back, he just did it to get more from Turner. When it comes to being the master of pro wrestling (from a paycheck POV)...there's Hulk then everyone else.

I wonder how WCW would've turned out if they had given control to Paul Heyman instead of Eric Bischoff. 

The best "What If..." is if Bischoff wasn't as great of a sychophant to the Exec's as he was, and the job went to JR or Shavonie as was expected (since they were higher in the pecking order).

JR had no shot at the job because he was too close to Watts.

I am curious about Tony running WCW. First thing that comes to mind is Tony would have probably continued the working relationship with Smokey Mountain and Cornette would not have worked for the WWF.

JR would've never put WCW on Monday Nights either. I imagine that under JR, WCW remains a Southern wrestling show on TBS every Saturday night. Jamie Kellner still shows up and decides to rebrand TBS in 2001 so who knows what WCW's ultimate fate would be. 

What happens to Hogan in this what if? Vince seemed pretty set with the New Generation stuff and was moving past Hogan by 1994. 

Someone gets desperate. Either Vince or Hogan and reaches out. I see a bunch of runs like Hogan had in WWE after the collapse of WCW where it works short term, fizzles out and he winds up butting heads with Vince.

Wrestling looks totally different today though if JR gets the gig. Steve Austin likely never gets fired, ditto for Foley. I can't even begin to guess what wrestling looks like today in that scenario.

Considering Turner was outright looking for someone in a non-wrestling role when they ended up picking Bischoff, I'm not entirely sure Ross or Schiavone would have ever actually been put in charge.  Bischoff's strength is that he wasn't from a pro wrestling background and was far enough removed from that bubble to have different ideas, which is exactly what they were looking for.

Even if Schiavone or Ross had gotten the spot, I'm not sure they would've been able to deal with the corporate structure or to be able to break outside WCW's usual boundaries, and the promotion might've died a quick death even with Ted Turner behind it.

As long as Turner was the final authority, WCW was safe, no matter the losses. But once the mergers started, first with Time Warner in 1995(?), then WCW had a target on its back. I don't know nearly enough about the period to say how much Hogan keeps it alive between 1995-2001, but Kellner probably pulls the plug if if WCW was turning a profit. But if it was in better financial shape, someone might have bought the company even without tv(and hell Fucient was going to by the mess if it still had tv). . . .

JR would've never put WCW on Monday Nights either. I imagine that under JR, WCW remains a Southern wrestling show on TBS every Saturday night. Jamie Kellner still shows up and decides to rebrand TBS in 2001 so who knows what WCW's ultimate fate would be. 

What happens to Hogan in this what if? Vince seemed pretty set with the New Generation stuff and was moving past Hogan by 1994. 

WCW would have had to have done a weekday show at some point or lose too much money.   I do think WCW would have stayed more Southern and regional, and lived within its means more.   Probably more emphasis on younger talent and less on imports.   I still think Kellner kills it in 2001, but it finds a buyer more easily- and would be a successful #2 fed right now.

Austin is probably remembered as Flair's replacement in the Horsemen, instead of being Stone Cold.  Smaller legacy but a damn good one.  Could see a 2000 Horsemen as Austin, Benoit, Malenko, and maybe Sean O'Haire.

Considering Turner was outright looking for someone in a non-wrestling role when they ended up picking Bischoff, I'm not entirely sure Ross or Schiavone would have ever actually been put in charge.  Bischoff's strength is that he wasn't from a pro wrestling background and was far enough removed from that bubble to have different ideas, which is exactly what they were looking for.

Even if Schiavone or Ross had gotten the spot, I'm not sure they would've been able to deal with the corporate structure or to be able to break outside WCW's usual boundaries, and the promotion might've died a quick death even with Ted Turner behind it.

Isn't Schiavone just as non-wrestling background as Bischoff is? The only difference is that Tony was actually good at being a pro-wrestling announcer. I think Schiavone wouldn't have lasted long but it is possible that he could've lasted with WCW till the bitter end.

I think they were looking for someone not as entrenched in their ways as Ross and Schivone were.  Yeah, Ross was head of broadcasting when Watts was fired and Bischoff took over, but he came up and learned most of his shit under Watts (something that didn't stop him from thriving in WWF).  Schivone was #2 behind Ross, and spent most of his time coming up under Crockett.  So those two guys were stuck in a regional mindset, while they wanted someone looking more national (although its not like Bischoff didn't learn his shit under Verne, so that should've said something there.)