DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've never watched the original series myself, but Netflix is reportedly working on trying to build a Gilmore Girls revival with four ninety minute episodes.

Now I am excited, especially since AS-P is writing the episodes. Finally legitimate closure!

James

Dudes, just a reminder that Homeland starts this weekend. 

As this past Sunday's episode started, I remember thinking "Hmm, they haven't touched on bipolar Carrie yet this season."

And then we got not only cryface Carrie, but off-her-meds-batshit-insane Carrie to boot. Awesome.

Oh, and in case y'all missed it, some artists hired to provide Arabic graffiti in the previous week's ep managed to punk/critique/burn the entire show in epic fashion:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/15/middleeast/homeland-grafitti-racist/

HA!  First two episode, I was thinking the same thing, "Oh, Carrie must be on the meds for good."  AND THEN.

Great episode but holy shit, what a bad plan.  "When I get too crazy, just give me a sedative and then my lithium."  Yeah, unless the dude has a tranquilizer dart, a Dexter-style syringe or mad sleeperhold skills, no.

So what you guys are saying is that I am the only person who regularly watched Rising Son. They tried their best to make Russell Wong a television action hero, they really did.

Nope. I remember. Though the movies were much better than the tv series were. But I thought at the time that Wong was going to be this big breakout star. Then I didn't see him again until Romeo Must Die

See I remember Highlander/Kung-Fu/Time Trax being advertised together. Oh well... if only Superforce could've lasted longer

James

Wow, someone else remembers Superforce existing.

I was about to say there were a couple different tiers of those weekend syndicated shows that came on Saturday afternoons on the local channels.  They got more low budget and forgettable and I remember Superforce and some other show about a mercenary team that came on right after it that were in the bottom level of action tv series.

Superforce was the one with Larry B. Scott as the hero's tech geek assistant right? That show was on point.

I'm really enjoying Blindspot even though I wish they had cast someone else besides Jaime Alexander.  Her acting isn't doing much for me.  Her acting range seems to consist of a blank, slightly nervous stare.  She's got that down, though.

• Like 1

I know I'm super behind and saying stuff that everyone already knows, but just finished season 1 of Rick & Morty and it was really fucking good.  

Just damn Hulu for not having season 2 up.

As this past Sunday's episode started, I remember thinking "Hmm, they haven't touched on bipolar Carrie yet this season."

And then we got not only cryface Carrie, but off-her-meds-batshit-insane Carrie to boot. Awesome.

Oh, and in case y'all missed it, some artists hired to provide Arabic graffiti in the previous week's ep managed to punk/critique/burn the entire show in epic fashion:

It is genuinely mind-boggling that NO ONE who works on a middle-east centred show like Homeland has even a basic knowledge of Arabic and could have spotted that long before it aired.

Which basically proves the artists' point, I guess. 

• Like 2

You're the Worst is very good, but very few people are watching it.  It's going to need to hold its critical praise.  At least it's on FXX, which should have zero expectations.  The finale of the first season was great.  Keep with it. 

Casual, one of those Hulu originals, kind of has that same vibe as You're The Worst.  I think I'll stick with it.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been fun, and that's all I really ask of it.  Not outstanding but good enough.

Everyone is getting hype for Jessica Jones, which has me pretty interested.  I know a bit about the character from summaries but it's pretty new for me.  The reviews of the pilot have been good.  It has some buzz.

Aziz Ansari's new show, Master of None, looks entertaining from its trailer.  I definitely check it out even though it felt like I seen the new girlfriend premise too many times now.  It's funny though, and I usually enjoy Aziz's humor.

On the fence about Supergirl...

That should hold me over for a bit.

Okay I am totally confused about what the fuck is going on in How To Get Away With Murder, but I am compelled to keep watching until the trainwreck season finale.

There is no spy vs. spy sub-plot in Scandal this season so fuck that show.

Re-watching The Sopranos. As a regular film and TV goer, what is the absolute, best acting I have ever seen? James Gandolfini at the end of The Sopranos’ Long Term Parking episode.

His eyes, man. His eyes. He never even had to say a word. It told the whole story. He gave up his soul for riches, freedom and power and a greedy wife…and then realized it ultimately meant nothing. But he can’t go back now. It’s too late.

That still gets to me. So many years later. The sadness and the horror. Gandolfini was an acting genius. He truly was.  You don't always have to be yelling and throwing things Pacino-style. Sometimes one look can tell an entire story.

Watched the first two eps of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend because (1) I am kind of a sucker for musicals and (2) Rachel Bloom is adorable. Loved the pilot, liked ep 2 but it went a little too far into cringe humor for me. (I tend to be sensitive about that; the first ep hit exactly the right balance for me without crossing the line). The numbers are not good at all, so I shall be shocked if it gets a back nine, but in the meantime it's darkly silly fun with pretty good songs.

You're the Worst is very good, but very few people are watching it.  It's going to need to hold its critical praise.  At least it's on FXX, which should have zero expectations.  The finale of the first season was great.  Keep with it. 

Casual, one of those Hulu originals, kind of has that same vibe as You're The Worst.  I think I'll stick with it.

I just finished the first season of You're The Worst. What an awesome show. I love that these two narcissistic people just make the lives of everyone in their orbits somehow even worse. The episode with Lindsay and Paul hanging out for the day was so truly heartbreaking. Paul's a dork but he's a really sweet, good-hearted person. I love that Lindsay is starting to realize that but gets sucked right into Gretchen's orbit and becomes a drug-addled creep in a few seconds.

The series reminds me a lot of High Fidelity. The characters are more glib and awful people, but it's still the general theme: self-centered, immature people realize they have to get on with their lives in some fashion.

You should watch Difficult People on Hulu. It's a lot like You're The Worst in terms of being about really shitty but hilarious people. Difficult People is like Seinfeld but more pop-cultural heavy.

It is genuinely mind-boggling that NO ONE who works on a middle-east centred show like Homeland has even a basic knowledge of Arabic and could have spotted that long before it aired.

Which basically proves the artists' point, I guess.

This wouldn't happen to The Brink.

Started binge watching New Girl last night. Fuck, this show is hilarious. I've always loved Zooey, but the supporting cast is great too. Especially Schmidt, he's probably my favorite.

Love that show. It starts off innocuously enough, but the longer it goes on, the more the characters show how weird and complex they are. Schmidt is the early MVP, but after a while Winston and Nick both become strong contenders. Slew of great guest stars and cameos as well.