DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Before Foley: "I'd like to be a wrestler but I'm a fat slob with zero athletic skills so I guess I'll just stick to my job at the waste treatment plant."

After Foley: "Shit, I can do that.  Bring on the flaming tables!  I'M FUCKIN HARDCORE."

Yes I know it's not just Mick Foley and there's plenty of blame to go around, but I feel he brought the most attention to this style.

The difference is, of course, that Foley was a better athlete than he gives himself credit for, and was an absolute master of in-ring storytelling.

Sure, but those nuances are lost on guys who saw him fall off the cell, go through flaming tables, etc.  All they saw was the easy violence of it and thought "shit, I can do that."

Man, I loved Carlito. He was unmotivated I guess but he was awesome. He was better on the mic than almost anyone they currently have. We talk about "we can actually do a 20 minute promo segment without the crowd shitting on it?"  and I think Carlito is one of the few who can pull those off.

Yeah, I'd be fine with Carlito coming back and beating Cena.  If they play it up right, they could still have a pretty natural big match built up as guys who started at the same time, one clearly succeeded in the company more than the other, but the other having the one's number time and time again.

Pretty sure these guys are a few donuts short of a dozen to understand the nuances of anything. Or know what a nuance is.

They don't know it, but they're straight on what a "nuisance" is.

• Like 1

As much as they (rightfully) tout their ability to make their own stars, I do feel like having a WWE guy like Alberto in such a prominent role went a long way in getting WWE-only fans interested in LU. And it's not that I don't want to see ADR back in WWE, it's that I know it's a matter of time before his character becomes stagnant and he's JAG

So a wrestling fan dies and goes to heaven. When he gets there he sees a crazed guy throwing chairs, going crazy and calling Dusty an "egg sucking dog". So he says to St Peter " I can't believe Terry Funk has passed away". St Peter replies " Oh no, that's not Terry Funk that's God. He's just pretending he's Terry Funk!".

• Like 3

As much as they (rightfully) tout their ability to make their own stars, I do feel like having a WWE guy like Alberto in such a prominent role went a long way in getting WWE-only fans interested in LU. And it's not that I don't want to see ADR back in WWE, it's that I know it's a matter of time before his character becomes stagnant and he's JAG

I said that somewhat in jest. I do think - if they're not gonna give it to Ambrose or Owens who could both use the rub - it makes sense to have a big return to take it off Cena and I don't see "Medal" or "Cult of Personality" playing at HIAC, so...

If they don't put it on Kofi and have those guys Freebird the title, there's nothing else they can do that won't be disappointing outside of creating time travel and going back to get 1997 Bret Hart or 1979 Jim Breaks or 1988 Barry Windham or someone like that to win it in a long match.

If they don't put it on Kofi and have those guys Freebird the title, there's nothing else they can do that won't be disappointing outside of creating time travel and going back to get 1997 Bret Hart or 1979 Jim Breaks or 1988 Barry Windham or someone like that to win it in a long match.

So, now that 1988 Barry Windham has been mentioned, I demand someone make him wrestling now.

I said that somewhat in jest. I do think - if they're not gonna give it to Ambrose or Owens who could both use the rub - it makes sense to have a big return to take it off Cena and I don't see "Medal" or "Cult of Personality" playing at HIAC, so...

I didn't realize how much I'd mark out for Angle returning until you posted that. Like with Sting, can we just pretend that TNA never happened?