DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

How/why does Xavier Woods go by Austin Creed on Up Up Down Down? Is it to distance him from the heel character?

How/why does Xavier Woods go by Austin Creed on Up Up Down Down? Is it to distance him from the heel character?

That was his gimmick name on the indies and is something that WWE hans't tradmarked. If his WWE career ends tomorrow UUDD will continue with its host as Austin Creed instead of him  forcing to re-brand himself.

It's also his XBox gamertag/ PSN name. 

Tong-po is the chillest motherfucker I've had the pleasure of listening and watching.

Plus, I kinda want to see his arcade cabinet. 32,000 games, free to play? I want Tong Po to be my friend, sweets.

MAME cabinets are the bees knees.  I used to have one that I got from Dream Arcades, but sold it to finance my move to Marysville with my now-wife.  Worth it, but I do miss it.

That was his gimmick name on the indies and is something that WWE hans't tradmarked. If his WWE career ends tomorrow UUDD will continue with its host as Austin Creed instead of him forcing to re-brand himself.

It's also his XBox gamertag/ PSN name.

Ah, this makes the most sense. Thanks!

I do not hide my wrestling fandom from anyone.  At one point, my company was in talks with our biggest client about merging companies.  This client was such a big deal that the first time he visited our office the one boss (who earlier in the day told me I was taking the meeting too seriously) showed up with a paint can and brush and said "I'm just going to touch up these walls a bit".  Anyway, the client knew I was a wrestling fan and he had been back in his day, too, so I tried to bring it up whenever he came to visit.  

The day of our biggest meeting we started with five of us from our company and him in our conference room before breaking off into 1-on-1 meetings.  The boss welcomed him and the client said, "Before we get started, I just wanted to offer my condolences to Jeff (me) on the passing of Captain Lou Albano yesterday."  I lowered my sleeve to show him I was wearing a rubber band around my wrist in memory of the good Captain and he pointed at it saying, "That is the greatest thing I've ever seen".  

We got the deal.

• Like 13

Whenever someone says you should always be proud of being a wrestling fan, I think of those Dave Chappelle "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong" sketches. It's not right for every person, in every situation, social setting, etc.

• Like 4

I do not hide my wrestling fandom from anyone.  At one point, my company was in talks with our biggest client about merging companies.  This client was such a big deal that the first time he visited our office the one boss (who earlier in the day told me I was taking the meeting too seriously) showed up with a paint can and brush and said "I'm just going to touch up these walls a bit".  Anyway, the client knew I was a wrestling fan and he had been back in his day, too, so I tried to bring it up whenever he came to visit.  

The day of our biggest meeting we started with five of us from our company and him in our conference room before breaking off into 1-on-1 meetings.  The boss welcomed him and the client said, "Before we get started, I just wanted to offer my condolences to Jeff (me) on the passing of Captain Lou Albano yesterday."  I lowered my sleeve to show him I was wearing a rubber band around my wrist in memory of the good Captain and he pointed at it saying, "That is the greatest thing I've ever seen".  

We got the deal.

Magnificent

I like being the "wrestling guy" in my group of friends. Most of my friends were fans as kids and fell off the bandwagon but still follow casually and will ask me questions. I'm the one hardcore fan in most of my friend circles and in many cases I'm also the only black guy so I have double token status.

• Like 3

When I met my girlfriend, she told me she was into those 'ghost hunter' shows. She explained to me that she knew it was a work (she didn't use that term - i wonder if ghost show fans have their own smart mark forums) but she enjoyed it anyway. I told her I was into wrestling and it was an easy comparison. 

That was 10 months ago. Yesterday she beat me on WWE2k15. Ok, she was Brock Lesnar with 3 finishers and I was General Adnan, but still, she's come a long way. 

You have defiled the great General Adnan

• Like 1

Literally the only times in real life I can remember wrestling coming up in the last decade is when The Rock does something or when someone dies. I don't hide being a fan but it never comes up so I doubt most people I know would know that I'm a fan unless they're also a fan.

It was a much bigger decision in the late 90's when it would come up ALL THE TIME and you had to decide whether or not to join in on the discussion.

The downside of my wrestling fandom is that I'm tagged by my friends in every wrestling related item on Facebook. I have over 800 "friends" in the book, and roughly about 30% of them gave me a "sorry for your loss/lost(!)" when Roddy Piper died. Now no one is allowed to post in my wall...

What's so strange about the perceptions of wrestling and its fans is the epicenter of the sport is in the major cities. WWE could sell out MSG in 5 minutes for a major event. 

Nascar has the reputation it has because most of its fan base is a 1,000 miles away from Madison Avenue. 

I also think that most people don't get wrestling. They just can't grasp that the audience is in on it and it is being viewed as entertainment.  

I don't know how many punk shows I've been to where the conversation turns to nerding out about wrestling. Two friends of mine actually have a band named Dino Bravo and come out wearing fake belts; one of them dressed up as old school CM Punk with the track shorts one year for Halloween. It was super spot-on.

Different topic, but if you're familiar with the show @Midnight on Comedy Central Ron Funches was dressed as Ric Flair (Halloween episode)  He did one helluva job in his impressions, did some of Flair's famous lines including "Meeeaaaannn...Whoo..by God...Gene!"  Really fun show, worth checking out.

Different topic, but if you're familiar with the show @Midnight on Comedy Central Ron Funches was dressed as Ric Flair (Halloween episode) He did one helluva job in his impressions, did some of Flair's famous lines including "Meeeaaaannn...Whoo..by God...Gene!" Really fun show, worth checking out.

He's also shouted out the Young Bucks. By name. By their individual names. He's a major mark.

• Like 2

Different topic, but if you're familiar with the show @Midnight on Comedy Central Ron Funches was dressed as Ric Flair (Halloween episode) He did one helluva job in his impressions, did some of Flair's famous lines including "Meeeaaaannn...Whoo..by God...Gene!" Really fun show, worth checking out.

He's also shouted out the Young Bucks. By name. By their individual names. He's a major mark.

Yeah. If you follow his twitter it's all wrestling. He's also been to a lot of PWG shows.

Checked his Twitter and would gladly follow him.  Except he posts a ton about that Undateable show and I don't want that clogging up my timeline.  But cool to see him get some love from the wrestlers, and he said WWE gave him tickets for HIAC.  Dude's got a good thing going.

Just watched Flair/HBK. Say what you will about Ric Flair right now (and I still love the guy), but if you didn't at least have to hold back a tear and claim that the room got a little dusty or at the very least saw your a bit of your childhood die a tad when HBK finally put him down, you're not a wrestling fan in my opinion. I'm pretty tolerant of every position anyone can have in the realm of wrestling but I'm gonna stand firm on that one.

• Like 1

Just watched Flair/HBK. Say what you will about Ric Flair right now (and I still love the guy), but if you didn't at least have to hold back a tear and claim that the room got a little dusty or at the very least saw your a bit of your childhood die a tad when HBK finally put him down, you're not a wrestling fan in my opinion. I'm pretty tolerant of every position anyone can have in the realm of wrestling but I'm gonna stand firm on that one.

The story is a masterpiece. Part of me wished Flair could have pulled it off just so he could have had that one last moment. But everything about that match is great.

The story is a masterpiece. Part of me wished Flair could have pulled it off just so he could have had that one last moment. But everything about that match is great.

It's one of those matches that I could nitpick to death but I just don't care b/c of who is in it. Flair was just such a huge part of my childhood that the match always gets me. Unless he goes full Benoit, that match will always draw a tear from me.