DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just watched Flair/HBK. Say what you will about Ric Flair right now (and I still love the guy), but if you didn't at least have to hold back a tear and claim that the room got a little dusty or at the very least saw your a bit of your childhood die a tad when HBK finally put him down, you're not a wrestling fan in my opinion. I'm pretty tolerant of every position anyone can have in the realm of wrestling but I'm gonna stand firm on that one.

The story is a masterpiece. Part of me wished Flair could have pulled it off just so he could have had that one last moment. But everything about that match is great.

It's one of those matches that I could nitpick to death but I just don't care b/c of who is in it. Flair was just such a huge part of my childhood that the match always gets me. Unless he goes full Benoit, that match will always draw a tear from me.

You are both 100% correct. Man, everyone remembers Shawn mouthing "I love you", but I remember Ric clenching his fists yelling "C'mon!", something he did a thousand times easily, but that time, it felt like his last stand and I was like "ahh fuck"  before Sweet Chin Music even landed.

• Like 2

Just watched Flair/HBK. Say what you will about Ric Flair right now (and I still love the guy), but if you didn't at least have to hold back a tear and claim that the room got a little dusty or at the very least saw your a bit of your childhood die a tad when HBK finally put him down, you're not a wrestling fan in my opinion. I'm pretty tolerant of every position anyone can have in the realm of wrestling but I'm gonna stand firm on that one.

The story is a masterpiece. Part of me wished Flair could have pulled it off just so he could have had that one last moment. But everything about that match is great.

It's one of those matches that I could nitpick to death but I just don't care b/c of who is in it. Flair was just such a huge part of my childhood that the match always gets me. Unless he goes full Benoit, that match will always draw a tear from me.

You are both 100% correct. Man, everyone remembers Shawn mouthing "I love you", but I remember Ric clenching his fists yelling "C'mon!", something he did a thousand times easily, but that time, it felt like his last stand and I was like "ahh fuck"  before Sweet Chin Music even landed.

Flair ducks the kick, gets a backslide or inside cradle for the win. If the citrus bowl had a dome it would have blown off. Next night he still does his farewell because he was going out on top. It's a miracle the match even ended how it did considering HBK almost disembowled himself when he did that moonsalt and hit the table.

The end of Flair/Michaels is a thing of beauty though. Flair eats that last superkick and he is aware enough to kick but just doesn't, he knows he's beat and lays there crying as the ref counts 3. Him goading Shawn on was equivalent of "This is the only way it can end for me, don't you dare think you're winning any other way!". This isn't Flair losing ot Stng or Dusty so a small package win ain't happening, if Ric Flair was going down he was going down after 2 shots ot the face.

James

I don't think he needed any help with that...

One of my favorite Flair lines was in 02 when he was GM. Jericho accused him of having a midlife crisis and Flair dropped his coat and started yelling, "Mid.....Life....Crisis!!!.....Hell, I had that 10 years ago! I'm the boss!"

I feel like that's on you. I'd much rather reminisce about someone who's still alive than be all somber because they passed.

Edit: the banner ad for me is totally Alpha Brain right now.

• Like 1

I feel like that's on you. I'd much rather reminisce about someone who's still alive than be all somber because they passed.

Edit: the banner ad for me is totally Alpha Brain right now.

That is an excellent position for you to take.

Love Michaels/Flair. Favorite spot when Shawn stops his first Superkick attempt so Flair takes him down in to the figure four. "Michaels couldn't pull the trigger!! But the Nature Boy does!"

One of my all time favorite WWE music videos, wish they still made ones like this. Music fit perfect, awesome match.

• Like 2

I love emotional drama in matches, but I think that for me, two things hurt the match, one of which is a criticism for the match itself and one of which is just my personal tastes:

1. Shawn does a terrible job at drama like this. He's far too overwrought. You take someone like Dusty Rhodes and put him in Shawn's spot in that match and it doesn't come off as so self-aware that it's cheesy. It comes off as extremely authentic. I think Flair was great at it, but if I were going to make a list of wrestling's best natural actors, Flair would also be on that list and ranked very highly, like a top twenty-five sort of ranking. Michaels, on the other hand, is abysmal at communicating an emotional performance without making a Days of Our Lives actor say, "Whoa bud, I think you're overdoing things here."

2. I am not as invested in Flair's career as I needed to be to get all the way there. Personally, I started watching wrestling at about 1986 WWF when I was four and didn't see any other wrestling until AWA and WCW maybe a couple years later, so I have the strongest emotional connection to guys from that specific time and place. For me personally, you'd have to have Randy Savage in that Flair spot for it to connect with me in the way that it did for some of you. 

• Like 1

I think Shawn had the perfect finish for that part. I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted it to end with Flair tapping to the Scorpion. Maybe as an alternative Orton the Legend Killer RKO'ing him into retirement would have worked, but I think it worked out fine as is, especially with Shawn's number coming up 2 WrestleManias later.

It's a pretty joyless position to take.

I'm not a joyous person. I don't deal in emotions. I deal in facts.

That match was okay at best. Which is actually pretty good considering Ric Flair was legit 15 years past his "past his prime" point. 1988 Ric Flair would have made it a five star match. 1998 Ric Flair would have made it a four star match. 2008 Ric Flair made me kinda sad that this happened about 15 years too late. I wasn't sad he was retiring. I was happy. He should have retired a long time ago.

The build up was weird for me? I remember minutes before the show thinking "This is going to be the last match Flair ever wrestles" and realizing it would piss me off if he came back. The match was okay. The ending with Flair begging for more was great. The Raw afterwards was probably the most emotional moment in that shows history.

It definitely is the epitome of an angle I really didn't dig until the very end because the payoff was solid.

For me the best thing about that match was that, for one night only HBK brought back the Nature Boy. Instead of looking like a broken down shell of what he used to be, Flair looked like the Naitch of old thanks largely to Shawn carrying him masterfully.

• Like 1