DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

No, most of them never shut the fuck up about it

Ain't that the truth, I have three friends who are obsessed with Nascar, much to my dismay.  God forbid I want to watch New Japan on Axs TV (why is this not on my TV yet?  Stupid Comcast) they bitch about it.

But given all the shit I've had to hear about being a wrestling fan it's hard to put it out there you're a wrestling fan and not feel self-conscious about it.  Even at work where half the guys are mainstream wrestling fans, I just don't want to talk to them about it.  I've heard way too much about it being fake and full of rapists/murders/roided guys to feel fully comfortable about it.

I just get tired of explaining that there never were two Ultimate Warriors.

• Like 2

"Fake" doesn't bother me personally as much as "gay" does. Not just because it's super weak to use that word as a legitimate pejorative in 2015, but because sometimes, well, things look a little gay.

"Why don't they just wear pants?"

"Well, they've worn trunks for centuries"

"Yeah, but like, why don't they just start wearing pants?"

I'm a pretty unashamed wrestling fan. I feel like people need to know the shit I'm into up front. They're not dicks about it to my face. Don't care if they think I want to plow Randy Orton, it'd probably just dislocate his shoulder anyway

I mean, I work in a normal office job and have a giant picture of Pentagon JR on my wall right above my goddamned inbox.

• Like 3

It always amazes that NASCAR is able to sell ads at the rate that they do. NASCAR fans have a negative stereotype in pop culture, a worse stereotype than even wrestling fans. 

No way does NASCAR have a worse stigma than pro wrestling. Madison Avenue thinks both fanbases are hicks but they think wrestling fans are dumb hicks because, in their mind, we think it's real.  I don't watch NASCAR but I imagine they get better advertisers than Raw.

I work in an office and there's another wrestling fan in my department.  Neither of us mention our fandom to anybody.  You think NASCAR fans do that?

Wasn't there a study that most wrestling fans are high school graduates who make less than $50,000/year and NASCAR fans have a surprisingly higher rate of college grads who can get eyeballs on Network TV weekly.

I don't think wrestling fans are seen as hicks these days so much as they're seen as slackers. Otaku, if you weeeell. Then you have the PG-era paradox of a show aimed largely at kids that runs late night. What's USA to do, run toy commercials at 10 PM?

NASCAR fans are hicks, and hicks spend lots of money on beer and tools and giant pick-up trucks...

It always amazes that NASCAR is able to sell ads at the rate that they do. NASCAR fans have a negative stereotype in pop culture, a worse stereotype than even wrestling fans. 

No way does NASCAR have a worse stigma than pro wrestling. Madison Avenue thinks both fanbases are hicks but they think wrestling fans are dumb hicks because, in their mind, we think it's real.  I don't watch NASCAR but I imagine they get better advertisers than Raw.

I work in an office and there's another wrestling fan in my department.  Neither of us mention our fandom to anybody.  You think NASCAR fans do that?

Can you imagine what an IWC equivalent of NASCAR would be? I mean, the IWC is bad enough, but the idea of a INASCARC makes me cringe. 

• Like 2

Can you imagine what an IWC equivalent of NASCAR would be? I mean, the IWC is bad enough, but the idea of a INASCARC makes me cringe. 

reddit.com/r/NASCAR would be the logical place

Does anyone else think it's a little sad that some wrestling fans actually hide their fandom from others? Fuck that shit, let your wrestling flag fly, who cares what your co-workers think? You might be surprised at the results. I used to be that way, and then I decided it's not something that's worth hiding because it's a big part of me - and I come to find out that most of my co-workers actually like wrestling, or used to in the past and me talking about it with the other handful of people at work that DON'T hide it has made them interested again.

If you hide that from people, that you aren't giving them a chance to come out and admit they're wrestling fans. I get why people hide it, I really do, but it's just stupid. Most people I know that like stuff like anime and MLP or whatever don't hide it, they're unabashed about their love for that particular interest.

• Like 3

I work in a comic store, so I don't mind if people here know I'm into wrestling. I have several regular customers who like to talk about wrestling with me, and that's way more preferable than the ones who want to talk about Carnage and fucking Spawn like it's still 1993.

• Like 6

Depends on the person but how can it be sad if you hide your wrestling fandom?  If there's other common interests for people to talk about then it might not be needed to mention wrestling.  In my case I did express my wrestling fandom in the past with mixed results.  After the Benoit incident for the people I come across it wasn't worth bringing up.  But overtime I just found it's easier to just express interests in other things that others like (video games, superhero stuff, etc.) and that works just fine.

I will say though that it might be more acceptable now than it was even 5 years ago.  New Day's references to memes and the like certainly help their case.  Xavier's UpUpDownDown channel is starting to cross over into the video game industry, and it appears to be an organic crossover at that.  Lucha Underground is cool and can draw people in with the wrestling plus cool shit they do.  And NXT has the cool factor going on, it's a matter of time before people start to pay more attention to that.  And if they don't care for the wrestling part, they just hype them on the stuff they reference and they might be more receptive to it.  But again, depends on the person and how they work around it.

I remember in the mid 90s, I finally convinced myself it was OK to be upfront about my wrestling fandom. I was in middle school at the time, and got ragged on pretty hard by a few people for wearing Wrestling shirts to school. Cut to a few years later, and one of the guys who used to go at me the most for liking Wrestling was at school wearing a "Macho Man" WCW shirt. It was then I kinda realized some people are just assholes and will use whatever they can to get at you. People like all sorts of weird shit, no shame in being proud of what you enjoy.