DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions IX

Dolfan in NYC

Seth needs to stop showing up in the all-white gear, because it reminds me of L.A. Park showing up in a white outfit in Mexico, which always turns into a bloodbath. this leads me to watching L.A. Park matches on youtube instead of the main event.

Speaking of L.A. Park, here he is making his entrance with a Michael Jackson impersonator.

• Like 5

Not sure if Sting was really hurt or not, but Bret Hart did a periscope where he kinda ripped Seth for injuring wrestlers (Cena).

Bret also speculated in the same interview that he suspects Hogan was glad Piper died because it took the attention off him that week. Which is a really shitty thing to say, particularly if you don't know that for a fact.

Yeah Bret basically has no tact whatsoever, and he's one of the most sanctimonious guys in the history of the business, especially in regards to his, "I never injured anyone and look down on anyone who has" shit.

• Like 1

I thought it was a fun show I didnt like Cena winning as I think Rollins should have a longer run as double champ maybe Rollins will regain the US title in two weeks at the MSG show or one could hope. But I did like both Rollins matches tonight. Sting looked great.

I enjoyed tonight's show. I wish Ryback got a better reign, but I dug the match with Owens and am happy to see Owens with a belt again. Now all I need is for Zayn to return and take it from him. Loved Charlotte winning the divas title. Her match was Nikki was pretty good and surpassed my expectations. Didn't care for Jericho being the mystery partner though he did well enough. I'm happy he was the one getting choked out by Strowman. I dug Cena/Seth way more this time around and was glad Cena won. Sting/Rollins was decent. I hope no one ever takes that damn table bump again. I like Kane, but I'm disappointing he returned, if only because I really wanted the belt off of Seth.

So WWE has buried Owens even further by giving him the most cursed title in the WWE. 

#blamekevindunn

In the novel Starship Troopers, Johnny Rico is given pips that the head of the school first wore, but since then has seen every other wearer die in battle. The head of the school says that he is giving them to Rico because he believes that Rico can break the streak of bad luck and return the pips to greatness.

So, HHH is the head of the school and Owens is Johnny Rico in our scenario...

• Like 2

Not sure if Sting was really hurt or not, but Bret Hart did a periscope where he kinda ripped Seth for injuring wrestlers (Cena).

I noticed on the first buckle bomb that Seth deliberately placed Sting gently into the turnbuckles.

The second time...not so much,

Looked a little too stiff to me, but I don't know.

For the record, I love Seth Rollins. Maybe my favorite guy in the company. He just needs to be a little more careful.

Whoever booked that women's match is a genius.  Got all the babyface on Charlotte and Nikki could totally work heel.  Plus, if you want to break up PCB, you can have a multi-person match where Paige sneaks Charlotte's bad knee to take the title.

Did Kofi and Bubba start shooting on each other?  Some real strange strike exchanges. 

I'm guessing that Sting was really hurt, some back spasms or something.  His head whipped pretty good.

I hope that the main show road agents have figured out that the women have their best matches when they are based around limbwork, especially because the women's extra flexibility means that many of those holds look nastier than when the men are using them. Nikki destroying the knee was fantastic tonight. Not on Sasha/Becky level, but damn good. 

• Like 1

I wasn't super hot on the show going in but I enjoyed it a lot.

Owens-Ryback was shockingly really good. I was actually expectif a good match, but not one built around limbwork. Well timed and executed comebacks. Finish worked too. Only problem was Owens no selling the press to the outside. Which...when Ryback has better selling, it's a problem.

Dolph vs. Rusev was okay. Good enough work and all but the chemistry isn't really there and I just don't care about this feud. Throw in the WWE upper midcard format and I tuned out. Dolph stopped improving in 2013 unfortunately and is going more Billy Gunn than HBK.

I enjoyed how stiff the tag titles match was. Lots of wicked strikes and hard throws. Fun surprise since 50% of the match have been actively terrible for years now. Kofi has become passable again in tag matches though and Devon seemed energized by the shot. Finish was the literal exact finish I expected and did what it needed too.

Divas title was Nikki finally getting to show how she's grown. Great performance fighting on top and using varied limbwork in a longer match while keeping it interesting. Crowd was hot for it too so I guess the Raw gambit paid off. Charlotte is still not great but it was still a very good match and a good moment. Love how kayfabe Charlotte is super used to going long and just outlasts Nikki and kills her with two big moves. All that time and her game wasn't ready for NXT level competition.

Fuck Chris Jericho. Yay Braun Strowman. Sox man was fine. I'm super jazzed that Strowman is the kind of old school rarely even leaves his feet monster heel you never get anymore. Roman starting to figure it out near the end only for Jericho to screw it up and die at the Black Sheep's hands worked for everyone really. Too many good guys to be bad. Too much 2015 Jericho to be great.

Cena vs. Seth was terrific. Spaced out big spots. Neither guy dropped all their bombs. Zero nerfed finishers. Indy Cena hitting everything crisp and awesome and in smart ways. Maybe my favourite big match this year even if it's not the best.

Then Seth and Sting had an actual miracle. Sting bumped like a lunatic and somehow Seth got the best Sting match since the 2012 Bobby Roode one. Shockingly great and with the perfect finish.

Sheamus was terrific. Egging Kane on to beat him up more only to get Chokeslammed for it. I would actually really prefer Sheamus on top to Rollins right now. I don't know what I did to deserve Rollins vs. Kane next month though. Is that the blood fare for Taker vs. Brock in the rematch of the greatest Hell in a Cell match ever? If so I accept with no small amount of hesitation.

Also can you imagine if Taker bleeds like the 02 Cell? Ahahahaha.

The double main events were good. Never thought Sting had a chance at winning but he did a great job and I wish he was going to work matches more often. Cena winning the title back makes taking it off him in the first place seem strange but I hope the US Open is back tomorrow.  Enjoyed Charlotte/Nikki for the most part though didn't love it being more of a 'Nikki dominates, Charlotte hits two moves and wins' type match. Did love Charlotte's consistent selling all throughout and in to the post match. Great job putting it over as a real moment too. Dudleys/New Day was pretty fun. Jericho as the mystery partner worked and made sense but the finish made him look dumb then the post-match was confusing. He's supposed to work Owens at MSG.. wouldn't mind that as an IC title feud.  Love the Brock Lesnar "Go to Hell" Tour. Should be an interesting podcast and very much looking forward to Lesnar/Undertaker in the Cell. Big fan of the exciting end to the show with the Return of the Demon. Kane's a great logical choice for Seth's next challenger to finally blowoff their long rivalry. I wonder if that will be in the Cell too.

One thing I've learned from his podcast is that Chris Jericho is a huge supporter of Roman Reigns. Perhaps he's going to try something as a heel to get people to cheer Roman?

That's one possibility.  It's the third well-documented time that Reigns has been screwed (Rollins @ WM, Wyatt @ MITB).  He's close to unlocking the prize and someone pulls the rug from underneath him.  They could do a double-turn with Reign finally being fed up and just destroying Jericho in the process, which would be deemed too much punishment for the crime.

Another possibility is that they have Ambrose feud with Jericho since it was Ambrose that called Jericho, separating AmbReigns and allowing Reigns to have a steel cage match with Bray at HiaC to finish that feud.  Have Reigns be all alone when he finally snaps and MDK Bray, then tells Ambrose to kiss off.

The problem is that Jericho's comebacks have gotten to the point of diminishing returns. Can you recall anybody getting further over after feuding with him the last 3-5 returns?

That's largely what WWE is, though. Rarely does anyone get further over in a feud with anyone else. Everyone just hovers around the same level.