DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions IX

Dolfan in NYC

Sounds like Jericho was Roman's idea.

I think Ambrose should have his own crack at finding a partner. What meth addicted hobo will Ambrose find?

If Sandman isn't in jail he's got to be Dean's first choice.

Even if Sandman IS in jail, he's still gotta be Dean's first pick.

They could do a whole segment of Dean driving a garbage truck through the Cobb County Police Department wall, and Sandman hitching a ride in the back.  Dean has the back loaded with beer and cigarettes, so Sandman can train on the way to the show.  

• Like 8

Sounds like Jericho was Roman's idea.

I think Ambrose should have his own crack at finding a partner. What meth addicted hobo will Ambrose find?

If Sandman isn't in jail he's got to be Dean's first choice.

Even if Sandman IS in jail, he's still gotta be Dean's first pick.

They could do a whole segment of Dean driving a garbage truck through the Cobb County Police Department wall, and Sandman hitching a ride in the back.  Dean has the back loaded with beer and cigarettes, so Sandman can train on the way to the show.  

This is why the internet should book all wrestling.

Reigns is solid in-ring, but dude is so sympathetic right now and easy to root for. This is going to sound ridiculous, but after getting shit on because the company was stupid enough to bring Bryan back at the same time as him to getting hit in the head with briefcases and booed or met with indifference because he was booked like garbage, he's maybe the most sympathetic babyface in the company and almost totally because of inside baseball-type stuff. 

When he says stuff like, "fans don't even know what makes a good worker because they never wrestled" or "I'm just trying to entertain and fans are chucking stuff at my head," I feel so bad for him because I can sense the sincere frustration. He tries, he works hard, he's improving, and it feels like everyone craps on him. Fuck it, I want him to overcome and be champ. He's had to put up with a lot of garbage this past year. 

It's all this that would make a heel turn 100% believable.  Because who wouldn't get tired of the drama and bullshit at some point?  Reigns can't help that Vince screwed the pooch pre-WM and then had to work a feud with Big Show (and even then, Reigns had a good match at Extreme Rules with Show).  It's not his fault that because Creative can't figure out how to book Ambrose, naysayers assume they still team up just to get him some face pops.  And top it all off, wackos are literally coming for his head and jumping in the ring with him.  You add the in-ring stories of Bray chasing after him and Ambrose being his true-blue friend who always gets them into trouble?  Yeah, a future meltdown makes sense.  Who knowS if they'll go that way, but the seeds are planted to do that if they're so inclined.  He'd be a sympathetic tweener/heel.

At what point does the talent start to fell unsafe in the ring? This is embarrassing for a company as big as the WWE. I think they need to start training MMA fighters/legit tough guys as refs, and just let them go to town on these idiots. Didn't watch a second of this show, but I thought I'd rant a little anyway.

A little overreaction.  Fans run into the action in sports all the time.  Happened yesterday in the NFL, happens in MLB, tennis, etc.  You don't need the national guard standing out there shoulder to shoulder, you just need to deal with the dummies that do this sort of thing in a harsh manner. 

I bet Ric Flair cried out every ounce of alcohol that was in his body last night.

So why should we watch RAW tonight? The main event of the next PPV is between two guys who will probably be on the show a grand total of two times over the next month. Kane is back, Jericho is back, Cena has a title again. 

All I want to see is New Day.

• Like 1

I bet Ric Flair cried out every ounce of alcohol that was in his body last night.

So why should we watch RAW tonight? The main event of the next PPV is between two guys who will probably be on the show a grand total of two times over the next month. Kane is back, Jericho is back, Cena has a title again. 

All I want to see is New Day.

That's the answer to "Why should we watch WWE?".....New Day baby.  

I know we keep talking about waiting for the inevitable turn (since it is wrestling). But I still dig that Ambrose and Reigns are two dudes who are friends who can work shit out.

What i'm struggling with is why they're upset they lost.  Sure, competitive athlete wants to win at everything he does, but they've already said this match wasn't going to be the end of the feud.  And there aren't any stakes to be lost by Jericho getting pinned/submitted.  Maybe if it was an Ambreigns can't be friends anymore if you lose the match or custody on a pole match.  But it was just a regular 6 man.  Now if they are building up to a stipulation laden match at Survivor Series or something and then Jericho costs them again after pleading with them to give him another chance, then we have something.

I know we keep talking about waiting for the inevitable turn (since it is wrestling). But I still dig that Ambrose and Reigns are two dudes who are friends who can work shit out.

What i'm struggling with is why they're upset they lost.  Sure, competitive athlete wants to win at everything he does

You just answered your own question.  Hyper-competitive people take any sort of loss personally. 

Keep in mind that Wyatts/Shield-Lite is essentially an extension of the blood feud they've had going for three years now.  They've said it themselves--they're WWE's Hatfields vs McCoys.  They'll never get along, and they'll always take their losses personally.

Also not stated: The Wyatts OWN The Shield. Someone should calculate their overall record in their combination of matches. The original feud saw The Wyatts go 3-1, I believe. (With The Shield's victory being on Main Event and one of the wins coming because Evolution intervened in the match.) Bray won most of the matches against Dean in their singles feud, I believe? And in the newest incarnation of the feud, what is the record between the factions?

Funnily - Reigns is 4-2 in televised matches against the Wyatts in the most recent go around (assuming that is what you meant by newest incarnation - which I am going with is since MITB)

WINS

Reigns/Ambrose/Orton over Wyatts/Sheamus - RAW

Smackdown 8 Man (the one where all the heels turned on Rusev)

Summerslam (w/Ambrose)

Raw the next night (via DQ since Butterfly Slobbernocker showed up)

LOSS

to Bray Wyatt at Battleground

Last Night

As it stands now at PPVs:

Battleground: Bray wins dirty due to interference from Harper

SummerSlam: AmbReigns wins clean

Night of Champions: Wyatts win clean (Jericho messed up, but the Wyatts didn't cheat in any way)

That's as varied as you'll get.  If Ambrose goes off to fight Jericho, it really should lead to a HIAC match between Reigns and Wyatt one on one, with his frustration/anger finally erupting and Reigns kicking Wyatt's teeth down his gullet.

ETA:  RIPPA has it better covered than me. :)

I wonder how bad the Strowman vs. Rowan matches are gonna be when Rowan eventually returns to claim his spot in the Family.

Also, I just want to say, that I saw Shield/Wyatts at a house show in 2014 and they absolutely tore the house down, so I'm looking forward to some rematches when the Shield inevitably reunites.

Then again, I was shitfaced and wouldn't shut up about how I felt bad for Ryback because everyone else in the RybAxel/Usos/Rhodes Bros. match had a "cool dad" so my opinon may be a little skewed.

• Like 2

I'm assuming Jericho was the only credible partner they could find who was stupid and vain enough to want to fight the Wyatts. Reigns and Ambrose do not have a deep roster of friends to call upon. 

That guy in the crowd was about to do it for free

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood because of deadlines that crept up on me... Or, just maybe WWE has pushed me to the brink with their stupidity. There were some nice highlights last night, I can watch Owens and Ryback clubber each other for hours. Charlotte and Nikki was as good as any match that Nikki's in is going to be. That may be damning with faint praise, but Nikki just isn't that good, she isn't horrible and she used to be, but she's nowhere near as capable as Charlotte, who is still pretty green. Sasha and Becky are easily the two best on the main roster.

I much preferred the more toned-down Rollins that we had in the Shield to the ridiculous HBK-lite we have now with silly spot-fu and his mic work is regressing on a nightly basis. At the rate he's going, within a year he'll be making inarticulate grunts and assorted funny noises. Of course, they will still be delivered in that flat mid-western monotone so he'll still be putting people to sleep. I've gone from liking Dolph to hoping that I never have to see him again.

Now, they've always booked Ambrose as being "crazy"; that's fine, but "crazy" and "stupid" are not at all the same thing, so I imagine the conversation must have gone something like this:

RR: "That new Wyatt guy is a fuckin monster, we need a monster to fight a monster. Maybe someone like Big Cass or Baron Corbin from NXT..."

DA: "I've got our monster bro, they'll never see this one coming..."

RR: "Okay, cool; call your guy up..."

Sometime later...

DA: "Bro, he's in! We got our third man!"

RR: "Great, who'd ya get, Corbin? Cass? Or that guy that used to run with them, Rowan?"

DA: "Nah, they'd be expectin those guys... This will freak them out totally..."

RR: "Someone from Japan that they've never seen? "

DA: "Better than that! I got this little Canadian dude in his 40's who wears lifts in his boots so you can't tell he's only 5 '6. They'll never expect that!"

RR: "You're buying the beer tonight, believe THAT!"

Anyway, at least we can have Ambrose beat up Jericho for the next couple of months...

Well, THE MAN pulled it off, got completely outworked by a guy my age. Sting worked smarter, more effectively and even hit better (or at least more logical) high spots than Rollins did. Far too much of Rollins offense reminds me of a coked-up luchadore working the Saturday afternoon flea market crowd. Hmmm, what to do... Maybe I'll sommersault out of the ring for no apparent reason, that'll pop the crowd! Let's see, I've been working his legs the entire match, I know! Time for a series of drop-kicks!

Let's see, the last we heard of Kane he was getting his pasty ass a tan on the Hawaiian beach. What do you do when a colleague sends you an a nice little vacation? I guess the proper etiquette is to give him a huge chokeslam when next you see him. Unfortunate that Sheamus didn't shout out his new catchphrase "Are you not entertained?" The spectacle of the entire audience shouting back a resounding "No!" would have been a fitting close to this clusterfuck. Really nice way to maximize the use of Sting, instead of a build to a match against Trips, we have a blow off before the feud even starts... Who booked this shit?

• Like 2

In a just world, Ziggler and Rae Rae getting their asses kicked in mixed tag matches by Lana and Ru Ru until Christmas, then Rusev mega-babyface wins the Royal Rumble, and takes down whoever the champ is at WrestleMania.

• Like 5