DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions IX

Dolfan in NYC

Meltzer says Sting's injury is significant, but doesn't have any details.

Someone on another board said it looked like a back/spinal injury, but noted they were speculating.  Whatever happened, it looked bad.

Weird because, to me at least, a Buckle Bomb looks like one of the least hurty moves out there.

I dont give a shit if Vince is soured on the idea I wanna see Sting vs Taker at Cowboy Stadium in Takers retirement match.

After tonight, I have no desire to see Sting wrestle again.  I'm hoping he's okay, but at this point in his life, there's no sense risking it when he's looking like he's one bad bump away from being permanently fucked.

It's like when Ricky Steamboat came back for those few matches, and he was great, and then he kept going.  And then he went one time too many and the Nexus put him in the hospital.  And Steamboat then was almost the same age Sting is now.  

If Sting wouldn't take such stupid bumps for his age, it would be fine. The announcer's table spot, diving off the top rope to the outside, etc. are all risky moves, but then you have a guy who's almost 60 doing them and the risk factor increases a lot more. If he just wrestled a normal match, we wouldn't even be talking like this.

Whoever booked that women's match is a genius.  Got all the babyface on Charlotte and Nikki could totally work heel.  Plus, if you want to break up PCB, you can have a multi-person match where Paige sneaks Charlotte's bad knee to take the title.

Looking at other sites, am I the only one that got what they were going for?  I thought it was pretty clear that Charlotte "hurt" her knee on the fall to the outside. Everybody seems confused why Nikki dominated the match.

For those saying "wrestlers should go to town on rail-jumpers," please keep in mind that it's 2015, and both cameras and lawyers are everywhere.

Yeah, back in the days of the territories, the cops would play ball with you if you comped them and/or paid them to moonlight as security, but WWE is too big and too public to get away with that. If WWE talent attack someone not presenting a danger, (like the dude today,) they're looking at a 6 figure payout.

Hogan is persona non grata, Ronda Rousey is legally prohibited from appearing by UFC AND shooting a movie in Tunisia for a month, and who knows if The Rock will be able to fit it into his schedule (though the rumor of him vs. HHH persists). The biggest money match they can do, especially in Texas, would be Austin/Lesnar. That, along with a Taker match, are the only big "legends" matches I can think of. They're all getting too old, and I have a feeling that Sting getting apparently legit hurt tonight is going to be another one of those things, like the Lawler heart attack, that starts to push Vince out of featuring the old timers so heavily. And who knows, that might mean having to take WM out of stadiums in a few years-- but the audience needs to be conditioned to believe that the current, full-time roster are big stars (outside of Cena, obviously).

Actually, come to think of it, Cena/Taker has never been done on PPV, so that might do a pretty solid number. Plus Taker is from Texas. It would've been hotter when he still had the streak, but I think people would dig it.

• Like 1

To all the people who hated seeing Chris Jericho come back: whom would you rather have had in that spot? Especially considering that the entire point of the Mysterious Third Guy was that they were gonna be the loser in the match. He got thrown around like a ragdoll and lost by submission to a brand-new debuting rookie. What other former world champions are currently employed here that would be a good fit for doing that job?

For those saying "wrestlers should go to town on rail-jumpers," please keep in mind that it's 2015, and both cameras and lawyers are everywhere.

Yeah, back in the days of the territories, the cops would play ball with you if you comped them and/or paid them to moonlight as security, but WWE is too big and too public to get away with that. If WWE talent attack someone not presenting a danger, (like the dude today,) they're looking at a 6 figure payout.

I dunno if the law is the same in every state; but to the best of my knowledge, in most places you're automatically considered a potential threat to the performers if you jump the rail.

Really entertaining show, overall. Solid B+. 

Best match was Cena-Seth. Hopefully, we see the return of Cena's US open challenge, which was a real highlight of Raw every week.  Sting-Seth was good, too, but Sting needs to be done, especially if he was seriously injured. 

It'll be interesting to see where the whole Jericho thing leads. For a brief moment, I thought ReignBros were going to attack him after the match. 

Owens-Ryback was solid, and I thought Ryback may have been legit injured, for a minute. 

Nikki-Charlotte was Nikki's best match in a long time. I'm thinking Paige turns, soon, and we'll see her feud with Charlotte. 

New Day were great, as always, but the Dudley's have definitely seen better days. I did enjoy them putting poor Xavier through the table, though. 

Dolph-Rusev was ok, for what it was. I think we'll see Rusev cast Summer aside, and go on his own until Lana returns to her rightful place as his manager. I'm over Ziggler. Time for something new with him. Maybe a full fledged heel turn. 

The Kane return was well done, and I have the feeling this may lead to the reformation of Team Hell No, very soon. 

Watched the matches I wanted to see, Cena vs. Rollins, Rollins vs. Sting and the Wyatt Family vs. Ambrose/Reigns/Jericho.

Great match between Cena vs. Rollins. I can’t remember seeing a bad Cena/Rollins singles match. Not sure I prefer this one to the SummerSlam match or the other way around. Rollins vs. Sting was Sting’s best match in ages. Sting did more than I expected with the bump through the Spanish announce tables, the plancha from the top rope and the buckle bombs, second of which hurt Sting. Hope Sting’s okay. I really enjoyed The Wyatt Family vs. Ambrose/Reigns/Jericho. I wish it was Luke Harper getting the bigger push and not Braun Strowman. I do like Strowman using the head and arm choke, should be his main finish.

I’m already looking forward to Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker in Hell in a Cell for a number of reasons. The Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker’s Hell in a Cell match at No Mercy 2002 is a top three Hell in a Cell match and one of the best matches both have ever had. The two have great chemistry with each other. The SummerSlam 20015 match is in my top five WWE matches this year. I like the match either the same or a little bit more on repeat viewings. It’s the biggest Hell in a Cell match since The Undertaker vs. Triple H at WrestleMania XXVIII. Hope the match doesn’t have outside interference like recent ones have.

I'm another one that enjoyed Nikki/Charlotte. Nikki was definitely MVP and I'm glad that they were given time to actually tell a story. Nikki has improved so much, since the Bella's first showed up.

Man, I hope Sting is okay. That was scary.

To all the people who hated seeing Chris Jericho come back: whom would you rather have had in that spot? Especially considering that the entire point of the Mysterious Third Guy was that they were gonna be the loser in the match. He got thrown around like a ragdoll and lost by submission to a brand-new debuting rookie. What other former world champions are currently employed here that would be a good fit for doing that job?

As I said on Twitter - the WWE picked someone who made me actually wish Kane or Randy Orton was the partner. HEY! They both fit all the criteria you mention. In fact even better since both are bigger and it would have made for a more impressive sight with Buckleberry Stonewash

• Like 3

I dont give a shit if Vince is soured on the idea I wanna see Sting vs Taker at Cowboy Stadium in Takers retirement match.

After tonight, I have no desire to see Sting wrestle again.  I'm hoping he's okay, but at this point in his life, there's no sense risking it when he's looking like he's one bad bump away from being permanently fucked.

It's like when Ricky Steamboat came back for those few matches, and he was great, and then he kept going.  And then he went one time too many and the Nexus put him in the hospital.  And Steamboat then was almost the same age Sting is now.  

Steamboat did pretty well all things considered. But it was a bad David Otunga spinebuster that planted him on his head that gave him a bruised brain and put him in the hospital. That's more on WWE being like "Hey Ricky, go in there with some unsafe rookies and take all their finishers". We should all be lucky that a green Ryback back then wasn't doing the Shell Shock.

I really hope Sting isn't seriously hurt. Sting is 56 but he bumps like he's still in his 30's. I still was hoping he would win the title. Sting with the WWE Title should have happened in 2001-2002. We could have had Sting/Rock, Sting/Austin, Sting/Flair in a good match. But stubborn/man of principals he just wouldn't do it. You know, if Sting can have that one last match at this point I don't want to see Sting/Taker. I want to see Sting/Rock. I know that's a match Rock always wanted. But we just have to hope he didn't end it all last night.

As for the show, I thought it peaked with the Diva's match. I was estatic to see Owens win the IC Title. Dolph/Rusev was all right up until the stupid ending. Dolph really is becoming Billy Gunn and the more he does the more I'm gonna hate him. New Day/Dudley's was fun. I think the Bubba/Kofi thing started when Kofi slapped the back of Devon's head. Woods was so awesome though. Had I not fallen asleep soon after the PPV, I was tempted to watch Hook because of him.

Nikki/Charlotte was good but it proved that monday night was just so stupid. Charlotte should have won it back then. I was amused at Nikki wrestling the match like Ric Flair and Charlotte doing an unintentional Sting impersonation. I'm glad Nat'ch got this moment with her considering all that's happened in his life in the last couple years. But I really wish Charlotte would go back to being Charlotte and not have to do all Ric's spots. I'm waiting for when she turns heel for the first Flair flop and Flair slam off the top rope she does.

After that I steadily lost interest. Jericho as the third man was a joke. But at least Ogre looked strong. The end game of The Wyatts is for him to be the new monster to face Cena in the next year.