DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions IX

Dolfan in NYC

I was amused at just how nonplussed Ambrose and Reigns were about it all.  They turn around and see some whacko standing there, and they were just like "Eh."

They were so focused on wrestling the Wyatts, that they couldn't deal with this loser.  They needed to deal with Banannaramma Shottenheimer, so some skinny little fuck was not going to phase them.

Rollins's superplex into a Falcon Arrow in particular is the Davey Richardsiest thing on television nowadays. So, so shitty. Rollins just does a lot of stuff and thinks that's what makes good wrestling. Great athlete, terrible wrestler. 

Add to that his terrible mic skills and he's borderline unwatchable. Him being so heavily featured would make me stop watching RAW if I hadn't already figured out that just watching the few good segments on Youtube instead is a better idea than slogging through a full three-hour RAW. 

I know we keep talking about waiting for the inevitable turn (since it is wrestling). But I still dig that Ambrose and Reigns are two dudes who are friends who can work shit out.

• Like 5

They could clearly use enough force to protect themselves, but it would be very easy for them to exceed that scope and get sued.  Whether the crowd-jumper would be successful or not is an entirely different story, but beating the shit out of the guy easily would have opened themselves and the WWE up to liability.

This. Giving a rail-jumper the bum's rush is one thing. Explaining away 5 people stomping the shit out of a guy that never touched them as "self-defense" means a nice fat settlement for him, and that'd be even worse, because think about how many people might jump out of the crowd if there becomes a financial incentive to do so.

That's the type of shit Roman should've been doing on TV between the Rumble and Mania instead of cutting long, bad promos in front of the live crowd. Just plays way more to his strengths. And while I think Ambrose and Jericho could have some good matches, if they are indeed headed in that direction, I have to agree with whoever said a couple pages back that a reappearance of 2008 suit-wearing heel Jericho could possibly be the one to finally get Roman legitimately over as a big time babyface.

They could clearly use enough force to protect themselves, but it would be very easy for them to exceed that scope and get sued.  Whether the crowd-jumper would be successful or not is an entirely different story, but beating the shit out of the guy easily would have opened themselves and the WWE up to liability.

This. Giving a rail-jumper the bum's rush is one thing. Explaining away 5 people stomping the shit out of a guy that never touched them as "self-defense" means a nice fat settlement for him, and that'd be even worse, because think about how many people might jump out of the crowd if there becomes a financial incentive to do so.

People get fucked up all the time in public for no reason. Dimebag Darrell was murdered onstage! I think "we didnt know what he was capable of" would be a sufficient defense. They just had that crazy fucker who got shot at the performance center. I understand its a different time, and a publicly traded company, and all that, but I believe in the power of McDevitt.

Man, I don't know if six figures is worth getting the shit kicked out of me by Roman Reigns and Luke Harper. I'd have to think long and hard about that. I mean, I guess I could buy the new veneers I'd need after the ass-whooping with the settlement money, but nah, I'd rather keep my teeth and avoid a courtroom. 

I'm assuming that most people would also feel this way. 

People get fucked up all the time in public for no reason. Dimebag Darrell was murdered onstage! I think "we didnt know what he was capable of" would be a sufficient defense. They just had that crazy fucker who got shot at the performance center. I understand its a different time, and a publicly traded company, and all that, but I believe in the power of McDevitt.

It barely works for the police, and only if there isn't video showing it's bullshit.

Man, I don't know if six figures is worth getting the shit kicked out of me by Roman Reigns and Luke Harper. I'd have to think long and hard about that. I mean, I guess I could buy the new veneers I'd need after the ass-whooping with the settlement money, but nah, I'd rather keep my teeth and avoid a courtroom. 

I'm assuming that most people would also feel this way.

Ok. Assume 99% of people feel this way. In a crowd of 10,000, that leaves 100 people who want to take an asskicking in exchange for not having to work for a decade. What now?

Ok. Assume 99% of people feel this way. In a crowd of 10,000, that leaves 100 people who want to take an asskicking in exchange for not having to work for a decade. What now?

I'd assume higher numbers of people who feel the way I do (do we get even one hundred incidents like in a full year of WWE shows right now? I think extrapolating that number to one percent of all arenagoers if there were payouts to just a few guys is still tough to do) and lower payout. WWE is the type of company that goes head-to-head with people who actually have money; they'd hang railjumpers up in court for years and beat them into submission legally. Plus, if you're the type of dude that runs in to take an asskicking, you'll probably blow through that settlement money in WAY less than a decade.

Seriously, though, depending on the state, potential damages may be limited so as not to make things worthwhile for the rail jumper - and that's IF the court finds for them. It's just not a viable strategy even for total dumbasses. You'd be better off doing the old "knock down a jar of pickles for someone else to slip in" supermarket scam. 

I missed it live but from the clips I've seen I think that might have been Drake Younger. I know it doesn't make sense but it looked a bit like him and they have a similar looking tattoo in the same spot.

For those who missed Low-Ki coming in to tag with Reigns and Ambrose:

ElasticMemorableJaguarundi.gif

Looked more like Drake Younger, really.

I third the "Wait was that Drake Younger?" movement

drake_zps7hnladdd.png

• Like 2

I know we keep talking about waiting for the inevitable turn (since it is wrestling). But I still dig that Ambrose and Reigns are two dudes who are friends who can work shit out.

This. I like how even with the Shield split, they still look out for each other.

I just remembered my other takeaway from the Wyatts/Shield or Jericho match which is that Roman has gotten really, really good in ring this year. Going back to tags with Ambrose has allowed him to work the build stuff and not just be a hot tag this time and he's really been putting it together. His stuff all looks really good too and at a time when they're making 56 year olds take multiple Buckle Bombs in a match and indy offense has started seriously bleeding through, he stands out as a great asskicking power guy.

Basically now is the time for that main event push. So of course he's fucking around with Bray.

Reigns is solid in-ring, but dude is so sympathetic right now and easy to root for. This is going to sound ridiculous, but after getting shit on because the company was stupid enough to bring Bryan back at the same time as him to getting hit in the head with briefcases and booed or met with indifference because he was booked like garbage, he's maybe the most sympathetic babyface in the company and almost totally because of inside baseball-type stuff. 

When he says stuff like, "fans don't even know what makes a good worker because they never wrestled" or "I'm just trying to entertain and fans are chucking stuff at my head," I feel so bad for him because I can sense the sincere frustration. He tries, he works hard, he's improving, and it feels like everyone craps on him. Fuck it, I want him to overcome and be champ. He's had to put up with a lot of garbage this past year. 

• Like 1

Did anyone else catch Charlotte blowing off Paige's congrats so she could acknowledge the crowd? A wonderfully subtle moment there that the announcers totally missed.

If Xavier doesn't win Best Non-Wrestler in the WON Awards I'll shit in Piranesi's hat. At the rate he adds new shtick he can keep the trombone gimmick going for YEARS.

People really are stupid. "OMG STING IS ENHANCEMENT JPBBER TALENT" Yes, he's 56, in incredible shape and had a hell of a title match where he only lost by a flash pin after getting hurt, which totally makes him Frankie Williams 2000. Whatever floats your little hate boat. *pat pat*

• Like 5

Did anyone else catch Charlotte blowing off Paige's congrats so she could acknowledge the crowd? A wonderfully subtle moment there that the announcers totally missed.

If Xavier doesn't win Best Non-Wrestler in the WON Awards I'll shit in Piranesi's hat. At the rate he adds new shtick he can keep the trombone gimmick going for YEARS.

People really are stupid. "OMG STING IS ENHANCEMENT JPBBER TALENT" Yes, he's 56, in incredible shape and had a hell of a title match where he only lost by a flash pin after getting hurt, which totally makes him Frankie Williams 2000. Whatever floats your little hate boat. *pat pat*

I agree with all this but especially on Sting. Sting is 56, looked in better shape than he did at WrestleMania XXXI (he looked good there also), took some big bumps, gets badly hurt going on the information we do have but finishes the match. Respect.

Sounds like Jericho was Roman's idea.

I think Ambrose should have his own crack at finding a partner. What meth addicted hobo will Ambrose find?

If Sandman isn't in jail he's got to be Dean's first choice.

Even if Sandman IS in jail, he's still gotta be Dean's first pick.

• Like 2

Paige in general looked really disinterested in the whole celebration (even more disinterested than people mistakenly say Emma looks), to the point where I expected a turn right then, especially with how much Charlotte and Becky were celebrating together.

True, Jericho has a size disadvantage against The Black Sheep dude. But he's also won everything there is to be won multiple times and has a history with Bray. He has experience and is one of the craftiest wrestlers (kayfabe) ever. I'd want a Hall of Famer who gets by on guile to try and counter a dude who has put up with Bray's head games before and knows what to expect, especially in the ring with some big dude who hasn't even had a match yet.

• Like 1