DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - AUGUST

DEAN

Thanks to Dave Dombrowski?

That and they've shown some promise in the past week. I am personally looking to 2016 and seeing how we can put ourselves in contention. 

One thing that has been brought up that I've been mulling over is, what do you do with Hanley and Panda's contracts in the off season? Hanley is a terrible defensive outfielder and Panda is just terrible this year. Hanley might work at 1st or as a DH but I like Travis Shaw at 1st and Papi isn't moving from the DH spot until he retires. Jackie Bradley has come to life as of late so if I'm the Sox, I play a Betts/Bradley/Castillo outfield in 2016. If you can find a way to move Hanley and Panda, you open a lot of options up. 

In an ideal world, here's my starting 9 in 2016:

C - Christian Vasquez

1B - Travis Shaw

2B - Dustin Pedroia

SS - Xander Bogaerts

3B - Brock Holt

RF - Rusney Castillo

CF - Jackie Bradley Jr.

LF - Mookie Betts

DH - David Ortiz

That team won't win you the division but you can't focus on that right now. The Sox NEED to focus on pitching and use our current parts out in the field. We have a solid core, if they ever build around it. 

I really hope Dombrowski finds a way to unload Hanley and Panda without giving up our core. Cherington really fucked us over with those deals. 

The Boston sports media is trying to push the narrative that the Red Sox have a shot at the wild card.

Yeah, that's not happening. They're 7.5 games back. Toronto leads the wild card by 4 and Texas and Anaheim are tied for the second wild card.

The Boston sports media is trying to push the narrative that the Red Sox have a shot at the wild card.

Yeah, that's not happening. They're 7.5 games back. Toronto leads the wild card by 4 and Texas and Anaheim are tied for the second wild card.

Yeah, I'm looking towards 2016 at this point. 

The Boston sports media though seems trapped in that pre-2004 mentality of the Sox being the perpetual underdogs who need to rise from the ashes. The Impossible Dream Part II, this is not. 

yeah, that's a bit ambitious. They'd only need to pass at least 2/5ths of their division first.

It's cool that the Royals actually won a game in Boston this year as opposed to last year where they got swept and Raul Ibanez had to remind them that other teams thought they were good.

Around baseball: it seems like the heat is getting to a bunch of people because there's been a splurt of ejections over the last week or so. And nobody got ejected for fighting or hitting a guy with a pitch. Just stuff like Brad Ausmus disputing a replay, Francona mad about a neighborhood play, Matt Carpenter arguing strikes, Loney spiking his helmet post strikeout, and Doug Eddings ejecting Fredi Gonzalez.

edit: and Lloyd got ejected because his reliever was really shitty. Speaking of that: Fernando Rodney got DFAed. The Mariners bullpen is fucking horrid. Rob Rasmussen is a walking dispenser of free runs.

The Royals come back from down 6-4 with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-6. Junichi Tazawa's ineffectiveness trumped the Royals 3rd base coach overdosing on insanity peppers.

Summary of that inning:

• Omar Infante triples to left, is thrown out at home plate trying to score an inside the park home run. 1 out.
  • Drew Butera single to right.
  • Alcides Escobar single to right, Butera to 2nd.
  • Ben Zobrist lines out to short, 2 outs.
  • Lorenzo Cain singles to right, Butera to 3rd/Escobar to 2nd.
  • Eric Hosmer singles to left, Butera/Escobar score, Cain to 3rd. Tie game.
  • Kendrys Morales walks, Hosmer takes 2nd on indifference.
  • Mike Moustakas double to right field, Cain/Hosmer score, Morales is out at Home. 8-6.

So, 6 hits, 4 runs, and the first and third outs came at home plate. Including trying to induce an Omar Infante inside the park home run. Although the official reasoning is that Omar scores if not for the incredible throw. Which is sorta like saying "they had to really bring it to cause our bad decision to backfire". I think if they sent Gordon in Game 7, the offseason is dedicated to people insisting the Giants got lucky when they threw him out.

Tazawa was hilariously ineffective today. Like "belt-high forkball" bad.

The Royals come back from down 6-4 with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-6. Junichi Tazawa's ineffectiveness trumped the Royals 3rd base coach overdosing on insanity peppers.

Summary of that inning:

• Omar Infante triples to left, is thrown out at home plate trying to score an inside the park home run. 1 out.
  • Drew Butera single to right.
  • Alcides Escobar single to right, Butera to 2nd.
  • Ben Zobrist lines out to short, 2 outs.
  • Lorenzo Cain singles to right, Butera to 3rd/Escobar to 2nd.
  • Eric Hosmer singles to left, Butera/Escobar score, Cain to 3rd. Tie game.
  • Kendrys Morales walks, Hosmer takes 2nd on indifference.
  • Mike Moustakas double to right field, Cain/Hosmer score, Morales is out at Home. 8-6.

So, 6 hits, 4 runs, and the first and third outs came at home plate. Including trying to induce an Omar Infante inside the park home run. Although the official reasoning is that Omar scores if not for the incredible throw. Which is sorta like saying "they had to really bring it to cause our bad decision to backfire". I think if they sent Gordon in Game 7, the offseason is dedicated to people insisting the Giants got lucky when they threw him out.

Tazawa was hilariously ineffective today. Like "belt-high forkball" bad.

I came thisclose to driving to Boston to the game today. 

I'm glad I didn't, what a fucking miserable 9th inning. 

I'm not sure I can remember a Cubs team I ever loved as much as this one. I mean yeah, it's not a perfect team, but they do a lot of stuff I love, they can hit a ton of homers, they seemingly are having a blast out there playing, and they find ways to win close games. It's so easy to get behind this team, and every once in a while you look at the standings and realize how good they've been and dream.

6 out of the division and 2.5 back on the Pirates is probably too much overcome for the Division but.... It is possible. And I don't think either the Cards or Pirates would want to deal with Arrieta twice in a short series. 

It will end in a tie with both teams agreeing each other is the best in their respective leagues and splitting everything. They will then announce they're combining into one giant team and moving to Hokkaido, Japan.

It will end in a tie with both teams agreeing each other is the best in their respective leagues and splitting everything. They will then announce they're combining into one giant team and moving to Hokkaido, Japan.

Well Hokkaido is world renown for it's many soap factories. 

From my experience, St. Louis is spending way too much time preparing ourselves for losing another World Series to the Royals, all the while not even contemplating the meltdown that would happen if the Cubs beat the Cardinals in the NLDS (or heaven forbid, the wild card game).