DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - AUGUST

DEAN

The Cubs are going to win 5 straight world series...starting the year after Craig dies. It's just the nature of things. Also, they'll be the Chicago Goats by then due to some freaky goat lover buying the team and not knowing the history.

I guess the better question is why the Dodgers, with a multi quadrillion payroll, can be no hit two times in two weeks. . . .

Same way Johnny Vander Meer threw 2 in 5 days, because baseball is fucking awesome and hella weird.

I guess the better question is why the Dodgers, with a multi quadrillion payroll, can be no hit two times in two weeks. . . .

Same way Johnny Vander Meer threw 2 in 5 days, because baseball is fucking awesome and hella weird.

I thiught i heard someone say recently the second Van Der Meer no hitter was first name game at Ebbetts Field. (Didnt bother fact checking)

Mark Shapiro leaving the Cleveland Indians to become team president of Toronto Blue Jays.

This is the dumbass who traded Cliff Lee for Matt Laporta, let Omar Vizquel leave in free agency in the belief that Johnny Peralta would be a viable replacement, had to practically be forced at gunpoint to fire Eric Wedge as manager and when he did only wanted to talk about Wedge's one playoff appearance and refused to say anything negative about Wedge or the players he provided for him, and hasn't drafted an All-Star in the 1st round since C.C. Sabathia.

Have fun, Toronto.

Mark Shapiro leaving the Cleveland Indians to become team president of Toronto Blue Jays.

This is the dumbass who traded Cliff Lee for Matt Laporta, let Omar Vizquel leave in free agency in the belief that Johnny Peralta would be a viable replacement, had to practically be forced at gunpoint to fire Eric Wedge as manager and when he did only wanted to talk about Wedge's one playoff appearance and refused to say anything negative about Wedge or the players he provided for him, and hasn't drafted an All-Star in the 1st round since C.C. Sabathia.

Have fun, Toronto.

I don't know about the Wedge situation and I didn't dig through the other rounds of the drafts from 2002-2010(his tenure as GM) to see if drafted any All-Stars outside of round 1, but some of those other comments are either wrong or don't really make a lot of sense.  LaPorta was in the Sabathia trade that netted Michael Brantley.  Lee was traded with Ben Francisco for Jason Donald, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson and Carlos Carrasco.  Shapiro was also the guy that got Shin-Soo Choo for Ben Broussard; Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez; Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew; Travis Hafner for Ryan Drese and Einer Diaz; and Carlos Santana for Casey Blake(after getting 16 bWAR over 5 and half years out of Blake after picking him off the scrap heap).  Vizquel was 37 when Shapiro let him walk, he was worth 5 bWAR over the next three years versus the 8 bWAR Peralta posted in those same years.

I'm not an Indians or Blue Jays fan, but Toronto could have done much worse than tabbing Shapiro to take over Beeston's role.  I'm not even sure how we're supposed to judge a team president.  Shapiro had that role with the Indians for the last five years but personnel decisions seemed to belong to Chris Antonetti, I assume that stays the same with Anthopoulos in Toronto. It's not like they hired Ruben Amaro or Jack Zduriencik for the job.

Im sure he will be fine for the gig.  Alex will still be the man in charge of talent.  team president will be needed to be the go between to talk to the bean counters at Rogers for the future grass field that is supposed to be installed and the renovations that Paul Beeston wanted to get done to the Dome.  

• Like 1

I thiught i heard someone say recently the second Van Der Meer no hitter was first name game at Ebbetts Field. (Didnt bother fact checking)

Johnny Johnny Bo Bohnny Banana Fana Fo Fohnny Me My Mohnny pitched quite the game that night.

• Like 2

Fun fact: during Hart's last two years in Cleveland, their payrolls ranked 5th and 4th respectively.

During Shapiro's first year, it fell to 12th.

Since then, its broken the top 20 once - in 2008, when their payroll was exactly 20th.

When you have a cheap ownership group, you have to make do with what you have.

That's correct. The lighting was apparently pretty terrible.

Stop dangling false hope. You just know they're going to lose in game 7 of the WS to a walk-off balk or something. That would be the most amusing ending I can think of.

Stop dangling false hope. You just know they're going to lose in game 7 of the WS to a walk-off balk or something. That would be the most amusing ending I can think of.

Funniest one to actually happen is probably 1926 - Babe Ruth, the heavy version, getting thrown out stealing.