DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - AUGUST

DEAN

Are you in Chicago or anywhere that is a Chicago Cubs territory? If so, then no, unless you want to jump through hoops by using a VPN to make it look like you don't live in the US so MLB.tv actually works. By all accounts, it's worth it if you live in an area that can use it. Otherwise Cubs games are blacked out. Now, if you want to watch other teams play, then yes, it's worth it.

I'm in the ass end of the state.  Cardinals territory, but it's sort of this weird middle ground.  The NFL, for example, is super inconsistent on whether we get Bears or Rams games.

The Cubs shouldn't be blacked out, but i'm not sure I want to trust it without knowing for sure.   

Ha.  I'm one county off from being in Cards-only black out territory.  What a joke.  I guess I will continue to watch them for free on this nifty little thing called the internets.

I really can't wait for the cable companies to die.

• Like 1

God what an ugly ugly map.

Stupid various shades of green - for a minute I was like "Why the fuck are people in Mississippi subjected to the Nats and Os?"

Sorry Jrag. It's a bunch of bullshit. I had hoped that the stupid blackout rules would be the first thing for Manfred to tackle, but that sadly hasn't happened yet.

I will say that the hoops you would have to jump through to use MLB.tv aren't that big. Unblockus is one such VPN that you can setup through your modem and/or router, as well as on whatever device you use MLB.tv with. It's $5 a month, so you're adding that cost onto the MLB.tv sub, but it's an option. Alternatively, if you're using a computer, I think there's a Chrome extension that will bypass the blackout nonsense, and that's free...I think.

And of course, there's what I usually do when I feel like it, which is go to /r/cubs and they post where to watch the game online. One nice thing has been ABC 7 syndicating their Cubs broadcasts on MyNetwork TV. You may be too far away for it, but you may want to go to the Cubs website to check that option out. MyNetwork comes in OTA and it seems like they've picked up extra games as this season has gone on. It looks like they're typically carrying the weekend games that aren't on ESPN or TBS, and they broadcast 1 or 2 games a week. It's not all the games, but it's something, it's in HD, and you're not going through some dodgy as hell website.

• Like 1

It's also hilarious that the Tigers and Reds are blacked out here in the South Bend area. There isn't one single cable or otherwise broadcast of a Tigers or Reds game in this area. Not now, not ever. So really, it just looks like a big middle finger to any Tigers or Reds fans in this area. Even more hilarious is if you have season ticket, or whatever it's called, you can't watch those games in this area either, unless the Tigers or Reds play the Cubs or White Sox, and then you have to watch the Cubs or White Sox broadcast...as long as you have NBC CSNC as part of your subscription.

I like how the blackout map doesn't totally follow the lines of a TV market map. Duluth? no Brewers! Lake County, MN in the Superior, WI market? you may have some Brewers. I'm surprised they don't put the areas of the US within 20 miles of Canada in a Blue Jays blackout zone

8J3MiH0.gif

Kyle Schwarber hits 2 more home runs today and as of this writing, has a wRC+ of 184! Holy fucking shit!

He obviously doesn't qualify to be ranked against others in the league, but if he did, he'd be in 2nd behind Bryce Harper.