DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - AUGUST

DEAN

So much buzz for the Jays/Yanks in the city...friends that work at bars/restaurants downtown have all told me that people are coming out to watch Jays games. A successful stretch run is gonna be great for business in this city.

Hope the fairweather fans or the people that have been Toronto fans for the last 12 games or so but have loved them since 1977 dont jump ship after they inevitably lose a couple of games

Jacques Lamaire signing will take a big chunk out of Jays Bandwagon today. :)

Hope the fair weather fans or the people that have been Toronto fans for the last 12 games or so but have loved them since 1977 dont jump ship after they inevitably lose a couple of games

Or when Tulo pulls a hammy or something.

Still have the ticket from the Blue Jays game I went to in Toronto in 1977. But I rooted for their opponents (Minnesota). Because I "like(d) their cool blue jerseys" :)

Train ride home after the Mets game was marred by drunk brahs shouting homophobic slurs at each other. I was praying that they would stumble out, fall on the tracks and get run over. Would've been a win for humanity.

At least it looks like the Giants will aid us tonight.

It'd be kinda fucked up to fire Farrell if Boston has a successful August/September with temp manager Torey Lovullo. Aside from the "firing a guy with cancer" thing, there's also sample size considerations.

To be fair, Terry Francona got fired over a bad September and Grady Little got fired for leaving Pedro out in the ALCS. 

It'd be fucked up but hardly unprecedented. 

Giving him a front office position while changing managers would presumably mitigate potential backlash.

If the current trend continues, the Sox will be in a tough spot. You can't keep an underperforming manager in place just to avoid a PR backlash but at the same time, said underperforming manager was just diagnosed with cancer.

I'm also in the camp thinks that Terry Francona should have never been fired so what do I know?

It'd be kinda fucked up to fire Farrell if Boston has a successful August/September with temp manager Torey Lovullo. Aside from the "firing a guy with cancer" thing, there's also sample size considerations.

To be fair, Terry Francona got fired over a bad September and Grady Little got fired for leaving Pedro out in the ALCS. 

yeah, I don't think the Sox performance with Lovullo can be used to justify a move against Farrell. Especially since some frame the Sox's hitting on Friday/Today as being in support of their cancer-stricken manager.

The Royals could have fired Buddy Bell after 2006. They had a new GM and the 2006 team was pretty bad. But Buddy Bell missed time with cancer of the tonsils at the end of 2006, and stayed on thru 2007 (he retired after 2007).

yeah, I don't think the Sox performance with Lovullo can be used to justify a move against Farrell. Especially since some frame the Sox's hitting on Friday/Today as being in support of their cancer-stricken manager.

The Royals could have fired Buddy Bell after 2006. They had a new GM and the 2006 team was pretty bad. But Buddy Bell missed time with cancer of the tonsils at the end of 2006, and stayed on thru 2007 (he retired after 2007).

True

The Sox are going to have to make some kind of move in the off season. Two straight last place finishes more than off set the World Series win. Being in last place for 3 out of the last 4 years should be enough to at least put Cherington on the block.

the Red Sox could flip some surplus bats for some more starting pitching. Or sign more free agents that don't have an obvious spot.

For all we know, the Red Sox and Padres could end up making an offseason deal to address their various obvious problems. Make some deal like James Shields to Boston (Padres seem to be dangling Shields really quickly since Preller might be the Vince Russo of GMs) and some SS/CF from Boston to San Diego. Not Bogaerts or Betts because they're 22, but somebody closer to Jackie Bradley Jr or Brock Holt to San Diego. Presumably there'd be a toxic contract swap involved on the side. But San Diego doesn't have a shortstop or centerfielder. Boston has a bunch of mediocre starting pitching.