DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Leto's Joker was the thing I was looking forward to the least in this so this doesn't surprise me. Joker and Harley really don't belong in Suicide Squad so its not surprising. How was Waller?

Davis is fairly good at Waller and one of the film's bright spots.

Except Batman visiting her as Bruce Wayne makes no sense.

I just read that they used Sympathy for the Devil on the soundtrack to introduce Waller. For fuck sakes, if there was ever a song that deserved a moratorium so it's never used by lazy film/television people again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I just read that they used Sympathy for the Devil on the soundtrack to introduce Waller. For fuck sakes, if there was ever a song that deserved a moratorium so it's never used by lazy film/television people again...

Christ, that's almost as bad as using Born to be Wild*

*I like both songs

10 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

The fact that they removed a lot of the scenes where Joker was being abusive to Harley will continue to feed into the delusion that these two monsters are a couple to aspire to. It's so goddamn ridiculous how many Hot Topic morons seem to think that they are this lovely Bonnie & Clyde couple, the Joker is a psychopath who constantly abuses & demeans Harley mentally & physically and she is totally in love with him. Making them out to be a cutesy couple is fucking disgusting. 

A main reason I want to see this movie is because Jared Leto is in it & I think he's a fantastic actor and I really want to see his take on the Joker, which I am hoping will be something new and fresh. Scenes of his being cut is definitely a negative for me. I'll see it when I see it.

MEH!

Well, just to be fair, Bonnie and Clyde were a couple of bored teenagers who robbed banks and killed people just for the thrill of it. History(and Warren Beatty) have blown them into this romantic couple when they were just a couple of punks. . . .As for the movie, the trailer had me really excited, though I think the character of the Joker probably should have dies(on the live action screen anyway) with Heath Ledger, because its going to be hard to match that performance. . . 

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Shouldn't all those tomatoes be green?  So for those who did not read the entire Hollywood Reporter story. Here's what happened. Executives got tight about the lukewarm fan reaction and terrible critical reception for Batman v. Superman so when they saw Ayer's take on Suicide Squad they panicked. Apparently it was too dark. So WB went ahead and cut the film to pieces alongside Ayer doing his own thing and what many believe made it to the big screen was a combination of WB's work and Ayer's vision. 

So basically, it feels like two separate movies. That's what people have said, it sounds almost exactly like what happened with Fantastic Four. 

Would you agree with that?  @TheVileOne

Oops, I missed this question.

Yes, I definitely see that.  The first act is a mess with confusing setups.  Third act is also a mess.

• Like 1

We saw Suicide Squad tonight.  The editing/pacing and musical choices were so fucking ridiculous, I've never witnessed studio interference to this degree.  The first 30 minutes is rushed to hell, you can tell there's a lot of scenes missing and OTHER scenes that were left in were clearly SUPPOSED to be dark/dramatic but they were edited in a way with upbeat music to lighten them up.  So bad. 

The villain is a waste but that's pretty much every CBM lately. 

I did think the middle of the movie was "ok" maybe because Will Smith and Margot Robbie both had stellar performances. 

I can't comment on the Joker much.  I liked the idea and what they were going for with him but there are clearly a lot of scenes missing (probably that were too dark) so it's tough to have a final verdict. He wasn't a huge factor in this. 

Waller was good too. 

I think Harley Quinn works as a solo movie.  I liked Croc and Boomerang but they weren't given too much screen time either. 

You can tell that Ayer had his vision and then the studio came in a spray painted over it.  It's clear as day.   I'm not saying his would have received critical praise but it would have made more sense.

Also, I think Ayer may have struck a balance between dark and levity if given the opportunity because the scene in the bar had both and that was not part of the reshoots from what I could tell. 

Aww well.  Looks like someone over at WB is probably getting fired again.

Suicide Squad is presented as crazy and fun, but the action scenes are surprisingly generic. The plot feels like some weird mix of Escape From New York and Stargate and the movie spends too much time blaring it's iTunes playlist, but thankfully, the cast works. All the leads are great with the exception of Jared Leto. It's not that his new take on the Joker is all that bad, he's just not around long enough to get a good feel. Suicide Squad isn't a bad movie at all, I'll certainly see it again, but without it's key players, I don't know if it would be able to keep its head above water.

• JAI COURTNEY WAS FUN IN THIS. 6.5/10
  • Like 1

I thought it was a blast. Like...after years of shit like weird militarization and grounding in sci-fi on the Marvel side, we just got a movie full of characters who have been around, fought some heroes, and done shit already. That includes shit like a crocodile man, a woman with a soul stealing sword, a magic fire dude, a 6,000+ year old witch, and a guy who never misses. That is BANANAS. 

I love the Marvel flicks but they've been doing shit like turning Thor into a sci-fi alien and making Cap more super spy than superhero at times. DC just delivered like a dozen comics accurate characters completely unapologetically. I got to see Killer Croc powerbomb a dude onto a car. There's a lot of flaws I'm willing to overlook for that kind of experience.

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Kevin Tsujihara getting fired is long overdue.

It's weird because I didn't like the movie but I really want to see all of the characters again.  I would love to see Will, Margot Robbie, Boomerang, Croc, Waller  in other things.   Maybe Leto's Joker too.

I still think Affleck's Batman movie will be a prequel to BvS and Suicide Squad, and maybe feature Joker and Harley. I don't know if the world needs another Batman movie where the Joker is the main antagonist, though.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I still think Affleck's Batman movie will be a prequel to BvS and Suicide Squad, and maybe feature Joker and Harley. I don't know if the world needs another Batman movie where the Joker is the main antagonist, though.

We don't need it, but it's all execs and the casuals give a shit about.

Well, I think Jared Leto definitively put an end to all future Who Was the Worst Joker? discussions.  He is the leader in the clubhouse, for all time.

I guess all we can do is hope that Affleck can rein him in for the Batman movie.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Has there ever been a truly bad film/television Joker? There have been some that were just derivative of others, but actively bad? Leto would win by default just by being sort of bad. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Hey I'm all for a Batman movie with Maxie Zeus as the lead villain... but I'm probably the only one

James