DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

About the critics though..   I'm not trying to slight you or anyone else @TheVileOne but critics are only one group of people with opinions among various people with opinions. I'm not sure how much studios should care about critical reception IF the fans and the viewers are enjoying something.

Batman v. Superman wasn't liked by the critics and it also wasn't liked by a good portion of the audience. The UC has been received better but that's another story.

Suicide Squad which I did not really care for does have one group that is enjoying it and that's the under 25 demographic. An A- from under 25, an A from teens.  Harley Quinn is a big deal off of this also. SS despite whatever drop it has this weekend (which is expected because if you combine huge colossal opening weekend with record-breaking Mondays/Tuesdays and then throw in Sausage Party which caters to the same demographic it's going to see a huge drop no matter what) is going to end up being very profitable for WB and a Harley Quinn solo is next from this group which will also be huge for them.  SS also has a large number of females in the audience which is a good thing.

Does it matter at the end of the day how much better the Ultimate Cut was received?  The Ultimate Cut was not the cut they released in theaters.  That's not the version people will be going into Justice League with their lasting impressions of.  There's no Rotten Tomatoes score for the Ultimate Cut.  Ultimate Cut wasn't some magical do-over or mulligan that repairs all the damage Batman v Superman did to the DCEU.  

Also, Suicide Squad just dropped 67 percent this weekend, comparable to Batman v Superman's 69 percent drop.  It's really not good for them considering the costs.

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how many movies have there been when a different cut than the original becomes better known or viewed as the "correct" version?

Brazil

Blade Runner

Maybe Heavens Gate

I think you'd have to really go out of your way to watch the theatrical cut of Highlander. The European cut is the one on home release, cable, and streaming now. 

Terminator 2's changes aren't all that major, other than yeah it is cool to see Kyle Reese back for that one scene.  The deleted alternate ending was really goofy and didn't belong in the movie at all.  The theatrical cut works just as well.

I think the only addition that works in the extended Aliens cut is learning about Amanda's death.  It reinforces what Ripley has lost and why she is so deeply invested in saving Newt.  I like the footage of the Colony before it gets infested and everyone dies, but the movie doesn't lose a lot by getting rid of it.  

I would say Abyss' director's cut is the definitive cut because it fills out the whole movie and suddenly everything about it makes sense.

I would say the Ultimate cut of Batman v Superman is also deeply flawed considering you needed this cut for the movie not to be such a disjointed, incoherent mess.  At a screening I went to, the editor talked about how they had an early cut of Man of Steel that was four hours.  That sounds fucking insane.  That's not how you should shoot or write a movie.  

Once again, look at Avengers.  Most of that deleted footage is just extra fat that doesn't need to be there.  You don't miss it, other than the Cap scenes which are really good, and god forbid the leader of the team gets a little more attention than Iron Man.  But the Maria Hill scenes are terrible and don't necessarily ruin the movie but essentially botch it's intro and setup.  It shows all its cards way too early and already shows the aftermath of the Battle of New York.  DUMB DUMB DUMB!  Yes we know what type of movie is and that good is likely going to triumph, but why already tell the audience that right at the beginning?  Let it happen naturally.  Don't show the Hulk before that big built up moment before he finally Hulks out.  DUMB.

Star Wars.  Again all the stuff they cut is a lot of extra fat.  Some of it is extra humor that the movie doesn't really need and IMHO would've only undercut and hurt the sequences they happen in.  The only thing I like in those deleted scenes is Kylo Ren going on the Falcon, but the movie doesn't even need that.  It works just fine without that scene.  

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, Suicide Squad just dropped 67 percent this weekend, comparable to Batman v Superman's 69 percent drop.  It's really not good for them considering the costs.

It's perfectly fine. Still on pace for $300M. It had a better Monday through Thursday than anyone expected.

Deadpool also would have been a better movie with substitution of some deleted scenes. If you watch all of them there's a different narrative.

Instead of basically having the talk then just leaving anyway, Wade actually does a world tour of miracle cures and after seeing a doctor scamming people into thinking their cancer is cured, *brutally* murders him in a way that Vanessa ends up seeing. That's when he peaces out and uses the card. The middle montage is also replaced by him working merc jobs to build up his arsenal and bribe people for info on the org. Throw in some alt jokes (Vanessa shoots Francis' corpse as well, with a Wade-esque line) and it's a cut that veers a little darker and more closely resembles the merc from the comics rather than doing a straight up hero's revenge story the whole way. Some good jokes would be lost, granted but I feel like they could have met in the middle when cutting.

Anyway, Suicide Squad is creeping around half a billion worldwide. Sausage Party was always going to cut into its core demos but even post-reviews I know my brother (who is 16) and his friends were still hyped to see it and did. If bad reviews could kill action movies, the Transformers franchise would be long dead and X3/Origins Wolverine wouldn't be two of the stronger earners in that franchise. Like BvS, any argument about it being a failure rests on budget arguments because it's beat most of the MCU domestically (no wordwide on BOM list, ugh) and looking at a few worldwides seems to compare favourably considering its run isn't done. And I don't know that I buy the advertising being so much higher than the MCU films as to break the budget.

In general it feels like this is round 3 of the DCEU being critics vs. fans vs. other fans vs. general audiences. The RT audience score keeps holding at 65-75 for DCCU films with high interest in future ones so clearly plenty of people are liking it even if critics/some fans/you do not.

Rumors of higher budgets than expected or higher advertising campaigns than usual only start coming out when it's a DC film.  GOTG has the same listed production budget and also spent a ton on advertising.  The worldwide gross won't be far apart.  GOTG is seen as a huge colossal success but SS is going to struggle to break even?  No.  It is not going to struggle, especially after physical/digital sales,TV rights and merch are counted up. 

GOTG was seen as a huge success because people were expecting it to do TFA/Thor-type numbers.  Barely squeaking past the production budget domestically, and perhaps making a profit overseas.  Instead it nearly doubled its budget.  Suicide Squad was *expected* to double its budget domestically, and while it is performing admirably, it *just* barely missed its opening weekend projections, allowing nerds to pile on it the first weekend, and then attempt to pile on it again the second weekend when Sausage Party "won" Friday, except then SS won the weekend.

Sometimes heavily flawed movies catch a spark with audiences (Avatar/Titanic) and sometimes (more frequently, recently) nerds rally around bad movies, hoping they'll be better than the last movie put out in the series, and things get out of hand quickly.  I'm going to see it tonight with the hope that it doesn't ruin a burgeoning friendship like Wild Wild West did.

1 hour ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Suicide Squad was *expected* to double its budget domestically

When Suicide Squad was announced the reaction was one big collective "what the fuck?".  As time when on some sites were predicting somewhere in the range of $65M-$80M for it's opening weekend. Very few thought it'd break the August record. It wasn't until the first tracking numbers came out and they were huge that anyone said $125M+ was a possibility and that was 3 weeks prior to release. Most comic book movies now are seeing heavy frontloading. Even Civil War which was critically acclaimed and had mostly positive audience ratings barely got over the 2.0 multiplier. It debuted at what $179M and now sits at $408M. So 2.27x.   It dropped 60% in it's second weekend. Then 55% in it's 3rd weekend.  That's with Downey Jr. as Iron Man and Evans as Cap and a host of other stars who have built up goodwill with critics/audiences for 8 years now.

The Dark Knight opened at $158M and only dropped 52%. 

The Avengers only dropped 50%

Spider-Man only dropped 38% !!

I don't believe in comic book movie fatigue really but there is a ceiling and the ceiling has been reached. The MCU will continue to make tons of money but it's not reaching those heights. DCEU has probably left some money on the table with their last three movies but three movies in and the box office gross is over $2 billion dollars. Wonder Woman will add to that. They could be doing better but at worst it's the second most profitable franchise in all of film. All this doom and gloom talk is for clicks.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

At absolute best, it's third.

However you want to look at it, Disney is Disney.  Star Wars and Marvel. Marvel making Star Wars comics.  But yeah if you separate them then DC is 3rd. So all this doom and gloom shit is nothing more then click bait.

They are separate franchises owned by separate divisions of a monolith.

And this is assuming Fast Furious, Jurassic, and HP all aren't more valuable, which is up in the air. Maybe Transformers as well.

I think Fast 8 will be HUGE but I'm not sure how long it goes after that. Vin said he's making ten.  Jurassic fell off once before and it's such a strange franchise. They can't really do them year after year. We'll see what happens with Fantastic Beasts.   Transformers will probably be fine as long as there is a China but it's definitely taken a nosedive in the states. That said, I can't help but be interested in the next one. Those trailers always fool me.

I know you're all champing at the bit for my Suicide Squad review - It was fine.

Leto's Joker was all veneer.  There was a core of insecurity that just did not fit the character.

Enchantress & the frogmen looked like Doctor Who characters.

The climax was laid out, scripted and dialogued like the climax of a video game.  That was not a good thing.  Actually, I think it was nearly beat for beat the recent Tomb Raider game's finale?  Huh.

My copy was so dark as to be nearly unwatchable in nighttime scenes, but the Batman and Flash cameos were fun.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:24 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

About the critics though..   I'm not trying to slight you or anyone else @TheVileOne but critics are only one group of people with opinions among various people with opinions. I'm not sure how much studios should care about critical reception IF the fans and the viewers are enjoying something.

Batman v. Superman wasn't liked by the critics and it also wasn't liked by a good portion of the audience. The UC has been received better but that's another story.

Suicide Squad which I did not really care for does have one group that is enjoying it and that's the under 25 demographic. An A- from under 25, an A from teens.  Harley Quinn is a big deal off of this also. SS despite whatever drop it has this weekend (which is expected because if you combine huge colossal opening weekend with record-breaking Mondays/Tuesdays and then throw in Sausage Party which caters to the same demographic it's going to see a huge drop no matter what) is going to end up being very profitable for WB and a Harley Quinn solo is next from this group which will also be huge for them.  SS also has a large number of females in the audience which is a good thing.

On 8/15/2016 at 11:38 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Fast 8 will be HUGE but I'm not sure how long it goes after that. Vin said he's making ten.  Jurassic fell off once before and it's such a strange franchise. They can't really do them year after year. We'll see what happens with Fantastic Beasts.   Transformers will probably be fine as long as there is a China but it's definitely taken a nosedive in the states. That said, I can't help but be interested in the next one. Those trailers always fool me.

These movies appeal to the under 25 crowd who want nothing more than eye pron.  Very little story, no character development, lots of flashy graphics, and explosions.  The Fast movies are all the same set in different locations with bigger explosions and vehicles.