DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Did you hear about that Scottish guy who drive 300 miles (to London) to see the premier of Suicide Squad, didn't like that all of the Joker scenes from the trailers weren't in the movie and asked for a refund? The cinema staff laughed at him, so he's suing the studio for false advertising.

neverending-story.jpg

• Like 3

Saw Suicide Squad last night and it was.... not so good.  I basically enjoyed it, but I've fine with big dumb action flicks in the summer.  We saw Jason Bourne two nights ago and thought it was a lot better.

The interesting thing about Suicide Squad is that I didn't really get the impression that Ayers shot a better movie and the studio ruined his vision.  I didn't pay much attention to the trailers, so I dunno what scenes made the trailers but not the movie.  I can believe the studio interfered and removed the Joker scenes.  Joker really has no reason to be in this movie.  He keeps popping up for reasons that seem completely divorced from the rest of the movie, then disappears, then reappears in the final scene.  But, then, Joker has no reason to be in this movie in the first place since he is neither part of the Suicide Squad nor involved with Amanda Waller or the bad guys.

Honestly, I thought this movie was completely generic.  Half the Suicide Squad has no characterization (I'm amazed that Croc and Boomerang survived instead of being used as cannon fodder), the villains are completely generic with no characterization, and the plot is pretty generic stuff.  I didn't even think the action scenes were especially good.  The action scenes boil down to guys shooting faceless monsters lots of time.  I was kinda amused that Enchantress and her brother basically have the powers of gods, and the final showdown boils down to people shooting each other over and over.  They took the comic book conventions too seriously.

It really seemed like they piled a lot of set pieces on top of each other and didn't spend time developing the characters or the plot or figuring out how to pace the movie.  The sequence with Joker highjacking the helicopter was cool and all, but they bookended it with two other action sequences and the whole thing felt like a video game.

Oh, and as much as I liked Will Smith in this, you'd have to try to move the character farther away from who he is in the comics.

• Like 3

It's your typical response, though. Claiming the rumor isn't legit because there's no sources, no one intimately involved have said such things, etc. I'm not taking a side one way or another until the movie comes out, but playing devil's advocate here, if the rumor was true and people internally within the movie's production and WB were saying these things - no chance in hell Jenkins would actually come out and say "yeah, that's true, people are saying that - but wait and see for yourself".

On 8/11/2016 at 2:02 AM, Jerome Miller said:

Oh goody, I can't wait for all the threads that will get derailed when someone says a movie is bad and then Zeidler chimes in that Man of Steel 2 was worse and than Zeidler's enemies go after him and a ten page flame war erupts and RIPPA has to lock the thread.

And it won't even be a superhero film discussion, it'll be a thread about Dolby Digital vs. Dolby Pro Logic or something.

Can't wait. I've already got some smug, above-the-conversation images locked and loaded.

hqdefault.jpg

STRESSFUL-34-TWIN-PEAKS.jpg

FWIW, I liked the things Margot Robbie was doing in this. I didn't care for Leto, but more time to flesh his nonsense out and some decent direction in the Affleck flick could easily change my opinion. Everything else was a black hole. This reading of Waller in particular did nothing for me. 

Not sure what Croc did here to secure himself "bad guy" status. Same goes for Slipknot, but I'd hate to be accused of quibbling over minutiae.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It's your typical response, though. Claiming the rumor isn't legit because there's no sources, no one intimately involved have said such things, etc. I'm not taking a side one way or another until the movie comes out, but playing devil's advocate here, if the rumor was true and people internally within the movie's production and WB were saying these things - no chance in hell Jenkins would actually come out and say "yeah, that's true, people are saying that - but wait and see for yourself".

True, but generally rumors of this type of stuff pop up well before the movie is done filming. The closest we had to a problem was with the previous director who was ousted early and replaced with Jenkins. I lean towards bs on this one though anything is possible. The filming not being mess doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good movie anyways.

9 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

Devin Faraci says he's heard nothing but good things about Wonder Woman, he'd be tearing into it if he hadn't.

Did Faraci also not say he was hearing good things about Batman v Superman right before it came out?  This is after Hitfix's Drew McWeeny released a video saying it was a mess and WB was scared to death over it?

On top of that.

Faraci also said he was hearing tons of bad buzz on Daredevil and trashed the show. This was in the midst of receiving a ton of great early reviews and positive buzz with him pretty much being the only guy trashing it.

Most of these so-called insiders are full of shit and just spreading bullshit and nonsense.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Croc was a bad guy because he ate people.

Not saying this wasn't brought up on screen. But if it was, it wasn't memorable to me. They made it clear that Deadshot killed people for money, Boomerang was a bank robber, Diablo was a gangbagger with a firey temper, and Harley was complicit in Mr J's crimes. But I don't remember anything from Croc's intro other than him already being in his subterranean lock-up. If people tell me they mentioned off-hand that Croc eats people, I'll believe it. But my recollection anecdotally suggests it was framed poorly.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Slipknot was also a rapist in the Ayer cut. 

Thanks. Didn't know this. 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not saying this wasn't brought up on screen. But if it was, it wasn't memorable to me. They made it clear that Deadshot killed people for money, Boomerang was a bank robber, Diablo was a gangbagger with a firey temper, and Harley was complicit in Mr J's crimes. But I don't remember anything from Croc's intro other than him already being in his subterranean lock-up. If people tell me they mentioned off-hand that Croc eats people, I'll believe it. But my recollection anecdotally suggests it was framed poorly.

They mentioned it, and as you guessed, it was framed rather poorly. They instead chose to focus on him being bullied by the guards like they did with Harley and Deadshot.

Just got back from seeing it.

I guess the most concise way of putting it is that I'm not sure if it was any good, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I liked all the actors, even if Leto seemed a bit meh. Hopefully the deleted stuff will help with that.

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Did Faraci also not say he was hearing good things about Batman v Superman right before it came out?  This is after Hitfix's Drew McWeeny released a video saying it was a mess and WB was scared to death over it?

On top of that.

Faraci also said he was hearing tons of bad buzz on Daredevil and trashed the show. This was in the midst of receiving a ton of great early reviews and positive buzz with him pretty much being the only guy trashing it.

Most of these so-called insiders are full of shit and just spreading bullshit and nonsense.

I can't remember him saying anything positive about BvS.

That's probably a good description of the "former employee" as well.

Except DCEU released two of the worst reviewed comic book movies of all time back to back this year.  All sorts of reports to damage to the brand, damage control, trying to fix everything, re-structuring.  Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I think they would've been better off ignoring the letter, but Patty Jenkins responding to it gets it even more attention.

One would assume they also removed most of the Joker scenes from Suicide Squad because of the criticism that BvS got for being "too dark" or "gritty", and then meddled in the film and did reshoots to make it more lighthearted. The "damage" from BvS rolled downhill and affected Suicide Squad, who knows if it did the same for Wonder Woman.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Except DCEU released two of the worst reviewed comic book movies of all time back to back this year.  All sorts of reports to damage to the brand, damage control, trying to fix everything, re-structuring.  Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I think they would've been better off ignoring the letter, but Patty Jenkins responding to it gets it even more attention.

It would have been better to ignore it but even if the letter is legit, it's not like the employee isn't taking every opportunity to trash WB. They got canned.