DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah. I'm not saying ad budgets are a thing but this is the third time rumours have placed the ad budget of a DC film as at or above the budget of the film itself and that doesn't seem to happen with any other franchise despite some clearly having more adspace. It's weird.

I'm not trying to sound all conspiracy theorist-y because I'm sure there's reasons. I just haven't seen any other franchise get every success undercut by new, higher expectations as soon as they've reached it the same way. The spin feels different.

I don't think it's an anti-DC bias it's just that everything they do right down to every nickel is constantly compared to Marvel.  The new thing will be "yeah it destroyed Guardians opening but it won't make as much in the long run." 

Meanwhile, WB is bathing in millions. Unless you work for either company, it's not that serious.  WB is a film juggernaut.  Disney's piece of pie is bigger right now. That doesn't mean WB doesn't have more than enough to eat.

People are weird.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I'm not usually the guy who plays conspiracy theory but Suicide Squad just did $135 mil domestic, $132 international opening weekend. It's nearly doubled its budget out of the gate

No, it hasn't. Theatres have to get paid too. It'd be a 50/50 split.

I have seen a few weird reviews floating around about how anti-women this film is.  I said already, I didn't really like Suicide Squad. But some of these criticisms. Yes, of course these guys are goingto treat women poorly or really anyone poorly. They are villains!

"remember, we're the bad guys"  :lol: 

Critics need to stop. If they can't figure out that 2 + 2 = 4 then please stop writing and go fuck off somewhere.

I don't think anyone at WB realized how problematic turning super villains into protagonists was going to be, at least in the service of making a four-quadrant picture. Hence the cuts and the positioning of a bunch of people who identify as sociopaths the entire movie to have hero moments. We're left with stuff like high-functioning relationship Joker/Harley, Captain Boomerang's dialogue purportedly being gutted, and Deadshot promising to kill a bunch of people and never delivering. They should have rolled the dice and allowed this to get an R rating and let Ayer just do his thing. Although they seem to be raking in the cash without needing my input (or the critics'.)

It had an unusually high Friday to Saturday drop. But the real question is it's legs. BvS had the worst multiplier of any movie that opened over $100

I feel like no one remembers the reporting on John Carter of Mars and The Lone Ranger about advertising and break even points and such. High profile high budget movies get scrutinised intensely. Just the way it is.

Are you really questioning if Suicide Squad had a large ad budget? Have you not watched any telly, walked down any streets, read any newspapers or viewed any websites in the last eight months? Because I've seen shitloads of adverts for it, for ages. Probably why it had a big opening day, loads of people loved the trailers and really wanted to see it as soon as they could. And the drop-off could be between the reviews, or the word of mouth being less than orgasmic.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have seen a few weird reviews floating around about how anti-women this film is.  I said already, I didn't really like Suicide Squad. But some of these criticisms. Yes, of course these guys are goingto treat women poorly or really anyone poorly. They are villains!

Think of what the ideal feminist female super-character would be. Reverse everything about it, until you have the dream female character of an Antisocial Injustice Craven. What do you get? This:

Spoiler

harley_quinn_final_by_neoartcore-d8sp6b7

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It had an unusually high Friday to Saturday drop. But the real question is it's legs. BvS had the worst multiplier of any movie that opened over $100

I feel like no one remembers the reporting on John Carter of Mars and The Lone Ranger about advertising and break even points and such. High profile high budget movies get scrutinised intensely. Just the way it is.

To answer @AxB I'm positive this had a high advertising budget but nobody knows the actual numbers right now. 

Also, I agree that there's going to be a high level of scrutiny and number crunching but this same thing happened with Man of Steel and that's now being reported to have made quite a bit of profits after everything was tallied. 

I think WB is doing a less than ideal job with handling the DCEU so far but remember, they are still greenlighting all of these movies, the latest being a Man of Steel 2. If they had lost money on these previous movies would they be dumb enough to continue on with $200M+ projects? I don't think so.  WB does know how to handle their finances I'm sure.

Well, they did massively reorganize the department after BvS, so they probably aren't too happy about it.

Plus they don't really have another option for tentpole movies but DC, and the hope that a Harry Potter universe movie series without Harry will still be huge business.

If they shelved the DC stuff for a few years, they should have a massive set of holes in their schedule with no logical films to plug into those holes. The report on his Suicide Squad's locked in release date was virtually unmovable despite them needing more time no doubt would apply to Justice League as well, so making a complete sea change right now would be incredibly difficult.

• Like 1

Writer (6 credits)
 2019Justice League Part Two (story) (announced) 
 2017Wonder Woman (story by) (post-production) 
 2014300: Rise of an Empire (screenplay) 
 2011Sucker Punch (screenplay) / (story) 
 2009Tales of the Black Freighter (Video short) (screenplay) 
 2006300 (screenplay) 

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Any guesses on the collective price tag for that awful soundtrack? I'm sure that set them back a couple of bucks. 

Not so fast. Looks like it's debuting at #1 on the Billboard chart and the song "Heathens" is #1 on iTunes.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7468468/suicide-squad-soundtrack-no-1-debut-billboard-200

As for box office,  SS had a good Monday and a tremendous Tuesday. 

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-tuesday-august-box-office-record-captain-american-civil-war-batman-v-superman-1201801379/

I'm still expecting at least a 62-65% drop this weekend.  I imagine this film was heavily frontloaded but between box office and then Blu Ray/digital sales, licensing and merchandise, this is going to be a winner for WB despite bad reviews.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad preferring it to Man of Steel (2013) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) in the DCEU. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Will Smith as Will Smith Deadshot Mk and Viola Davis’ Amanda Waller have the standout performances. The villains and underlings are so bad. I liked Batman’s cameo, the nods to Harley Quinn’s classic costume and that Alex Ross painting. While waiting for the film to start, my Dad went on his phone and found out the Joker by Jared Leto is hardly in it. Going on what we did see, Leto is behind the big screen Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger Joker, especially Ledger’s. It’s also something seeing the Joker doing little.

On 8/8/2016 at 0:30 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Plus,  it's looking like Man of Steel 2 is heading towards production.  I'm so ready for it.

Oh goody, I can't wait for all the threads that will get derailed when someone says a movie is bad and then Zeidler chimes in that Man of Steel 2 was worse and than Zeidler's enemies go after him and a ten page flame war erupts and RIPPA has to lock the thread.

And it won't even be a superhero film discussion, it'll be a thread about Dolby Digital vs. Dolby Pro Logic or something.

Did you hear about that Scottish guy who drive 300 miles (to London) to see the premier of Suicide Squad, didn't like that all of the Joker scenes from the trailers weren't in the movie and asked for a refund? The cinema staff laughed at him, so he's suing the studio for false advertising.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did you hear about that Scottish guy who drive 300 miles (to London) to see the premier of Suicide Squad, didn't like that all of the Joker scenes from the trailers weren't in the movie and asked for a refund? The cinema staff laughed at him, so he's suing the studio for false advertising.

First I've head about this. Oh, boy.