DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'm pretty psyched about that.  Granted, I'm probably a sucker for continuing to get excited for these DC movies, but Affleck hasn't made a less than good movie yet, and if they stand back and let him do his thing, I think THE BATMAN will be good, too.

• Like 1

excited-to-see-slade-wilson-return-to-ar

Joe Manganiello just started following Snyder and Ayer, is apparently in London, and has a fresh haircut and goatee. Rumors he's going to play the part since Suicide Squad casting.

Slade is standing in the JL's Flying Fox with the Batmobile in the background.

• Like 1

On 30 August 2016 at 1:30 AM, EVA said:

I'm pretty psyched about that.  Granted, I'm probably a sucker for continuing to get excited for these DC movies, but Affleck hasn't made a less than good movie yet, and if they stand back and let him do his thing, I think THE BATMAN will be good, too.

Yep. Ben Affleck's 3-0 as a director with Gone Baby Gone (2007), The Town (2010) and Argo (2012). I like Ben Affleck's performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Suicide Squad (2016), less said about the writing in BvS.

So I went to see Suicide Squad for a second time and took my kid with me.   My opinion still stands.  It's not Civil War but it is also not as horrible as reviews would imply.   It definitely does not deserve the amount of star quality heeling that Viola Davis put into Amanda Waller.

I also don't have as many issues with Jared Leto's Joker as I did when I first saw the movie because this story really isn't about the Joker.

Sure, the storytelling is a bit sloppy, but at least the plot is very simple.  I think people are sleeping on the awesomeness of Amanda bringing in her own task force to save her own ass... 

If there is a fault in this movie, it is the failure of making the villains "villany-er" but I think that is Rick Flagg's job in the storyline to remind us that they are in prison for a reason. 

Just when you start admiring Deadshot's bravery and lament his issues with his daughter, Flagg awesomely insults Lawton by calling him a serial killer that takes credit cards... and Flagg is absolutely on the money.  If there is a guy that needs to stay in jail for as long as possible, it is Deadshot.

My daughter loved Harley Quinn.  I had to buy a Daddy's Lil' Monster t-shirt from Books-A-Million on the way home.

• Like 2

Isn't a "serial killer that takes credit cards" just another word for an assassin? Something that a fictional government in a comic book world would absolutely employ and probably deem necessary if the situation was right?

I saw it again last night (admittedly mostly because I had free passes.). I liked it more the second time around because my expectations had been adjusted I suppose. My biggest take away this time was that Robbie and Smith pretty much carried the movie on their backs. Anytime the movie feels listless Harley or Deadshot have a moment that infuses it with energy. I also think Leto is talented enough to correct course a little with his performance in future Joker appearances, and he should definitely demand someone punch up his dialogue. 

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Isn't a "serial killer that takes credit cards" just another word for an assassin?

Not really.  Textbook serial killers tend to be motivated by abnormal psychological gratification when the commit their crimes.

Some assassins may have political motivations or it may simply be for the paycheck, but Deadshot lives for the thrill of the hit and that satisfies some narcissistic bone in him that loves to put his skills on display. 

In the DC Universe, a man that never misses could naturally chose to incapacitate rather than kill when using firearms or maybe even create an arsenal of non lethal weapons to use and fight crime instead of commit it. 

Deadshot uses his abilities to kill people and that is by choice.

One more awesome thing I forgot to say about Suicide Squad is that the epilogue scene where Deadshot was visiting his daughter was fucking sweet. 

When Flagg quietly held back the guard and gave Lawton the courtesy leaving his daughter's presence with dignity rather than in chains like an animal, it spoke volumes.. 

It is true that the compassion of a society or a person can be measured by how well it treats its worst offenders.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:30 PM, Ligerbusa said:

Joe Manganiello just started following Snyder and Ayer, is apparently in London, and has a fresh haircut and goatee. Rumors he's going to play the part since Suicide Squad casting.

ding ding ding ding

http://www.superherohype.com/news/381611-confirmed-joe-manganiello-is-deathstroke-in-the-solo-batman-movie

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm glad they went away from Joker/Penguin/Two-Face/Riddler.  They could do one of those for a sequel sure but Batman/DC has so many other villains who haven't been used yet.

It was cool when Nolan went to Ra's and Scarecrow in the first movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Funny there are now people complaining they are not using "a batman villain."

It's a valid concern after they screwed the pooch with The Joker.

I like Court of Owls, but that's probably a bad choice for a first film.

• Like 1

Since it looks like we may never get the core Rogues all working together in the Arrowverse, I really hope the Flash movie gives us Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Heatwave, Mirror Master and Trickster working together as a united front with a complicated plan to fuck with Barry.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Since it looks like we may never get the core Rogues all working together in the Arrowverse, I really hope the Flash movie gives us Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Heatwave, Mirror Master and Trickster working together as a united front with a complicated plan to fuck with Barry.

That's exactly what they're doing, according to El Mayimbe.  And he was right about Deathstroke in Batman, so he's got a source in DC right now.

It would make sense, too, if the Flash movie is a buddy movie with Cyborg, as also rumored.  More heroes need more bad guys to smash.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It was cool when Nolan went to Ra's and Scarecrow in the first movie.

Christopher Nolan nailed them and all the villains in his Dark Knight trilogy. I know Bane's the divisive one.

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It's a valid concern after they screwed the pooch with The Joker.

I like Court of Owls, but that's probably a bad choice for a first film.

I liked Court of Owls but not nearly as much as the majority seem to. I prefer Grant Morrison's Club of Villains beforehand.