DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Can't we just mercy kill this iteration of the DCU and be done with it?  It's just not going to work at this point, and seemingly everybody who gets involved with it knows.  The foolish man built this house upon the sand, and there's just no way you can build a solid franchise when the foundation is as terrible as BvS.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

ezgif-com-crop-49.gif?w=620&h=478&crop=1

There's suffering and there's being a DC fan.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Can't we just mercy kill this iteration of the DCU and be done with it?  It's just not going to work at this point, and seemingly everybody who gets involved with it knows.  The foolish man built this house upon the sand, and there's just no way you can build a solid franchise when the foundation is as terrible as BvS.

Agreed. What a shit state the DC Extended Universe is in.

Happy we have *big breath* Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Batman of the Future, Justice League, Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises, The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

For Superman, Justice League and World's Finest. Wonder Woman, Justice League and the Wonder Woman film is great. For years I've said remake it for live-action, that's how much I regard it.

I gave it a shot.  The DC universe is a mess and I feel the only way to truly fix it now is to start over.  Unfortunately, there's enough good there with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn that they probably can't start over because there's too much money to be made with Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVA said:

Wonder Woman's production n is done. Justice League & Aquaman are in the middle of their productions. And Suicide Squad made decent profit. They are past a point where they can give up and try to start anew.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wonder Woman's production n is done. Justice League & Aquaman are in the middle of their productions. And Suicide Squad made decent profit. They are past a point where they can give up and try to start anew.

Wonder Woman and JL are basically in the can, but Aquaman is still months away from shooting.  They could still save a lot of money by putting that one on ice before it goes in front of the cameras.  Of course they're not GOING to kill this thing, but I do think the smart money would be in putting everything on full-stop until after the 2017 movies prove whether there's any hope at all of rescuing this iteration of the franchise.

Suicide Squad did good business, but that was mostly on the strength of a marketing campaign that had little to do with the actual movie they delivered.  I doubt you'll see the same enthusiasm for the sequel.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:09 PM, EVA said:

I was at work and saw the Affleck rumor and just laughed uncontrollably at how awful the execution of this thing has been for DC. And then I thought for 5 minutes about how much easier it'd have been if they'd just done MoS2 and cameo Diana there by having her doing the "Unite The League/Whatever" dealie because of an Amazonian prophecy fortelling of an invasion by Darkseid(post-credits would her recruiting Aquaman). Run your Batman movie after that and maybe have WW help from the shadows in the final fight and then recruit him and then go grab Flash(Bruce's paranoid ass would've been keeping tabs on him after Barry first starts crime-fighting). Diana's movie comes next and you can just do what they're doing now with the ending being her first arriving in Metropolis. Save Cyborg for the JL movie proper and if Synder still wants to scratch that DoS itch, have him die stopping DS. Probably wait on doing Aquaman and Flash movies until you see how the audience takes to 'em. Suicide Squad can kick rocks, IMO.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but goddamn, this shit shouldn't be this hard, DC.

• Like 1

I don't get it. They gave Nolan the keys to the city and allowed him to do pretty much whatever, why is the studio so fucking involved now in every aspect. Their meddling would make Vince McMahon blush. I get that maybe writing/acting/directing was just too much to do for Affleck, okay so find another quality director and get out of the way. 

Nolan came in off the back of a critical and commercial flop in Batman & Robin. Snyder basically seemed to have carte blanche with Man of Steel which was following the commercially fine but critically panned Superman Returns and basically got the same treatment...until they decided to make it a shared universe with Batman. So now they're measuring against the MCU and Nolan movies which got to the point of being a fairly dependable billion plus prospect. 

Thus when BvS failed to crack a billion (despite doing fine) they panicked. Which...look. If Dark Knight Rises and fucking Dr. Strange could crack a billion? They're dead on that BVS should have. But studio reaction to that sort of thing is either to kill a project or get super hands on. They only give the reigns when they feel there's nothing to lose and/or the director has a proven track record of hits.