DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Random thought here but I think EC3 stuck gold with his gimmick in TNA. If WWE can, they should bring him back to play an obnoxious nephew of Triple H (so no relation to the McMahons) who uses his uncle's influence to be a general douchebag.

The question is, what would his last name be? Levesque or Helmsley? 

Random thought here but I think EC3 stuck gold with his gimmick in TNA. If WWE can, they should bring him back to play an obnoxious nephew of Triple H (so no relation to the McMahons) who uses his uncle's influence to be a general douchebag.

The question is, what would his last name be? Levesque or Helmsley?

I'd go with Levesque-Helmsley.

Has there been any blowback to Randy Orton for the middle fingers? Was USA pissed? Was Vince? I figure they both gotta be.

Were they even shown? I just remember him raising his hands above his head, and the camera panning to his face, I didnt even know what the pop was for until after I read the raw thread...

They were shown.  Very briefly.

• Like 1

For everything I read about how they screwed the goose with Bret Hart in not doing a Sting vs Bret Hart program immediately, the questions I have in my head is:

1. Who goes over? Or perhaps more accurately, does that feud even get won by either guy at some point or just a shitload of screwjob finishes? Do you do it face vs face with perhaps the nWo still trying to pop in and ruin everything here and there? Or face vs face with maybe Flair and The Horsemen turning heel (when not wrestling the nWo) to try to get in that mix also?

2. What do you do with Hogan in '98? Maybe still do Hollywood vs. Wolfpack but place more of an emphasis on Hogan vs. Nash for control of the nWo while the championship is centered around Sting vs Hart?

3. What do you do with Goldberg for the whole year? Because then all the talk about how Goldberg's streak shouldn't have ended at Starrcade becomes moot because he doesn't get the World Title in the summer. Do you end Sting vs. Hart around Halloween Havoc time and then have someone drop the belt to Goldberg at Starrcade? I feel like the streak and a dominant run as U.S. Champion could have gotten Goldberg through the end of '98, but he maybe would have lost steam in '99 if he doesn't win the World Title at some point.

4. DDP is in the mix at the beginning of '98 also. Do his celebrity tag team matches still happen with the main event mix being jumbled up a bit for the above scenarios?

Goddamn, booking Sting to win cleanly and dominantly over Hogan at Starrcade '97 and putting Bret firmly in the main event mix really opens up a helluva of a rabbit hole with "What If? WCW booking. It obviously should have been what was done, but there really is a ripple effect throughout the rest of WCW's '98 booking.

I wanted to reply to this yesterday but I had too much to drink and was doing it with one eye open. So;

1) I think Sting goes over in the first match at Souled Out because of NWO interference which backfires on themselves (Hall and Nash should be trying to recruit Bret at this point). After a few "whose side is he on?" teases, SuperBrawl VIII becomes Sting/Bret v Hall and Nash in the classic mismatched partners match, where they go over. Maybe Hogan ruins everything for Hall and Nash, and here is where you start the NWO split. Bret and Sting go against each other in the cage at Uncensored, and maybe work together into spring 1998, while Hogan, Hall and Nash are out of the title picture entirely. As for Flair, I think the Horsemen weren't put back together until September, not to mention all the legal issues that were happening with him at this time. I can't remember much of Flair's 1998 after the Bret match at Souled Out. If he's around, I would have him continuing to settle his issues with Curt Hennig as a result of the War Games turn. And really, how the hell was Bobby Heenan not more involed with that whole thing?!

2) Yes, exactly

3) Goldberg should've gotten the US title as it happened, continued the streak, won World War III in 1998 and done champion vs. champion against Bret or Sting at Starrcade. Maybe egos dictate that this becomes a four way with Nash and Hogan involved, but I would have tried my hardest to keep that issue separate.

4) DDP spent the first quarter of 1998 involved in the US title scene with Raven and Benoit, and they had great matches. I would have had him continue mixing it up with younger guys, and just keeping that diamond cutter over. I'm talking about Jericho, Eddy, Rey, Booker T-- in addition, maybe you finally settle the Savage issue too. Maybe you still do him vs Goldberg at Havoc that year but it's for the US instead of the World title-- they could totally run that match again on PPV in 1999 once Goldberg wins the World title, with the story being not only about the streak, but "can DDP win the big one?" As for the celebrity matches, the Karl Malone match pretty much needs Hogan involved in order to justify him bringing Rodman to the table, so maybe still run that match, but Nash somehow gets involved and fucks Hogan, or vice versa. The Leno match shouldn't have been a thing, at least the NBA guys are athletes-- but if they HAD to do it, again, I'd make it so that it was more centered toward an already occurring issue, and not just about DDP hating Hollywood Scum Hogan (ugh)

• Like 1

I really want Roman Reigns to have a fucking five star match with Lesnar at Mania just to see the reaction from all the people shitting on the show already.

The naysaying has become redundant.  How many ways can you say you think the guy sucks?  Wreddit is determined to find out. It's one thing to think he isn't ready or even rather wanting someone else in his spot.  But at some point, just deal with it--it's a wrestling show, your actual life won't be impacted one way or the other.

Of course, all this will come full circle with a large number of Reigns' detractors jumping back on his bandwagon in some fashion down the road.  Believe that.

If they're going to bring back the Freebird Rule, the thing to do is include Natalya and Naomi with Kidd/Cesaro and the Usos.  That would be pretty cool, they'd actually be giving divas a real chance, and Natalya/Naomi could be in a championship picture away from Nikki/AJ/Paige.

You can't do that and not get blasted in today's climate towards domestic violence.

Even if the ladies dominated the men and won.

Yeah, I thought about that.  Part of me thinks it could be written in a way to downplay that possible snafu, but you're right about the current climate.  It'd be neat to see, though.

I was looking at the card for tonight's CZW show and came across this new entry into the lexicon of terrible wrestler name: Lucky tHURTeen.

Although, if the job was to get my attention then it definitely worked. I'll be looking him up later.

1. I am rooting for Reigns because he seems like a nice dude in a tough spot due to bad booking.

2. I think DDP being the one to end Goldberg's streak in 1999 under that scenario someone posted up above would have worked because people bought the Diamond Cutter as a death move that could be hit from anywhere.

• Like 1

1. I am rooting for Reigns because he seems like a nice dude in a tough spot due to bad booking.

2. I think DDP being the one to end Goldberg's streak in 1999 under that scenario someone posted up above would have worked because people bought the Diamond Cutter as a death move that could be hit from anywhere.

Fantasy re-booking aside, in real, actual 1998, I almost think that a clean diamond cutter win followed by a handshake at Havoc would have protected Goldberg even better than interference from three guys and a stun gun in that it would have at least added a new dimension to his character, and set him up to chase DDP through the beginning of 1999.

I'm no fan of the way WCW ended up in 1998, but I recently watched a Kevin Nash shoot where he actually said something that was both true and made sense: there was never a time after Starrcade where he, as a character, touted himself as being the one to have ended Goldberg's streak. But then again, he was already a star in the WWF, and was super hot with the original NWO, and later, the Wolfpac, so he probably didn't need that rub as much as DDP. For DDP, ending Goldberg's streak probably would've cemented him as being rated much higher as the years went on. We'll never know

• Like 2

I was looking at the card for tonight's CZW show and came across this new entry into the lexicon of terrible wrestler name: Lucky tHURTeen.

Although, if the job was to get my attention then it definitely worked. I'll be looking him up later.

He used to be known as Lucky, when he was in the NJ All Stars with JC Ryder, he's actually one of the most rounded guys CZW has, he can go in normal matches and fills in a garbage spot as well. I've always found him enjoyable.

Terrible name though.

I hadn't realized he'd been released, I just thought he was off TV. I liked him in the co-GM role, but I have to be honest, I'm not real familiar with his ring work outside of a TV squash here and there. I did see an episode of his web show someone posted here, and really enjoyed it

They had the Freebird rule for the Spirit Squad, I believe.

Was Spirit Squad a Heyman creation?  They got put together around the time Heyman was booking, but it would have been near the tail end of his run, so Heyman might have been gone by then.  Not quite sure of the time line.  I know the guys were still getting pushed in singles gimmicks when Heyman came in.

Edit: Wikipedia says the Spirit Squad debuted on the main roster in Jan '06.  That's in the middle of Heyman's time in OVW, so, if that's correct, they started teaming together in OVW not long after Heyman took over.

I would like to see the return of comedy Kurt Angle to the WWE.  I hope it happens one day.  

I'll second that. It's funny to see him acting in such bad D-level movies now, because he was as good as anyone I've ever seen at doing the comedy stuff on screen in WWE.

Kurt's Z movies are the greatest thing ever. I can't decide if he was better as a serial killer clown, a gun-toting zombie hunting sherrif or a 1000 year old druid trying to take over the world and bring about the age of darkness.

They had the Freebird rule for the Spirit Squad, I believe.

Was Spirit Squad a Heyman creation?  They got put together around the time Heyman was booking, but it would have been near the tail end of his run, so Heyman might have been gone by then.  Not quite sure of the time line.  I know the guys were still getting pushed in singles gimmicks when Heyman came in.

Edit: Wikipedia says the Spirit Squad debuted on the main roster in Jan '06.  That's in the middle of Heyman's time in OVW, so, if that's correct, they started teaming together in OVW not long after Heyman took over.

Heyman ws booking OVW but the Spirit Squad was something WWE created. It caused a bit of a stir at the time. Punk outright refused to be a part of it.