DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

For everything I read about how they screwed the goose with Bret Hart in not doing a Sting vs Bret Hart program immediately, the questions I have in my head is:

1. Who goes over? Or perhaps more accurately, does that feud even get won by either guy at some point or just a shitload of screwjob finishes? Do you do it face vs face with perhaps the nWo still trying to pop in and ruin everything here and there? Or face vs face with maybe Flair and The Horsemen turning heel (when not wrestling the nWo) to try to get in that mix also?

2. What do you do with Hogan in '98? Maybe still do Hollywood vs. Wolfpack but place more of an emphasis on Hogan vs. Nash for control of the nWo while the championship is centered around Sting vs Hart?

3. What do you do with Goldberg for the whole year? Because then all the talk about how Goldberg's streak shouldn't have ended at Starrcade becomes moot because he doesn't get the World Title in the summer. Do you end Sting vs. Hart around Halloween Havoc time and then have someone drop the belt to Goldberg at Starrcade? I feel like the streak and a dominant run as U.S. Champion could have gotten Goldberg through the end of '98, but he maybe would have lost steam in '99 if he doesn't win the World Title at some point.

4. DDP is in the mix at the beginning of '98 also. Do his celebrity tag team matches still happen with the main event mix being jumbled up a bit for the above scenarios?

Goddamn, booking Sting to win cleanly and dominantly over Hogan at Starrcade '97 and putting Bret firmly in the main event mix really opens up a helluva of a rabbit hole with "What If? WCW booking. It obviously should have been what was done, but there really is a ripple effect throughout the rest of WCW's '98 booking.

Reading yesterday's Observer, holy crap Demott was a piece of shit.  Then again, so is Matt Wichlinski who was taking pictures of the women's asses.  Paige and Summer Rae were the main roster ladies taped by him.  It might be from at latest 2013, but I'm hoping all the cameras they have prevent this shit from happening again.  I'm sure this has been discussed to death on here, but if you have the Observer it's worth reading.

Terra Calaway, a women wrestler at a tryout camp, claimed DeMott called a trainee at the camp, who was of Middle Eastern descent, a terrorist, "Aladdin," "Fat fuck," and told him to go back to building bombs."

Bear in mind, there are people trying to minimize this behavior and claim it's not a big deal because DeMott is stuck in the "Good Ol' Days" or whatever the fuck. And in the '80s they told black wrestlers to go back to Africa too, apparently, and it was OK as well. 

Seriously: If I'm a Muslim guy or a black guy and some idiot redneck like DeMott talks to me like that, I'm leaving.

To get a baseball bat.

Yes, the original question was flawed. I was thinking of Bischoff as the guy since he signed off on everything, but that really is a question about Sullivan. Fair points all.

Sullivan's discussed the New Japan deal and how tough it was to be diplomatic as Sullivan wanted certain Japanese guys to be booked strong to appease NJPW, while Eric didn't care. To him, he got paid big cash from NJPW for the exclusive rights for these guys to wrestle for the mighty WCW. Bischoff thought it made WCW look big as people were practically begging to wrestle there...

Where does Eric Bischoff's 1994-1996 rank as one of the all-time periods as a booker? Is it up there with Vince McMahon in the late '90s? Giant Baba in the early '90s? Um...don't know who else you all would consider as having all time great periods of booking over a short period of time.

Not especially high. He caught lightning in a bottle. That's not easy to do and he did it. He gets credit for that. But the week to week programming of the top angles was pretty lousy. His legacy is signing up all the top talent he could and then really not giving a crap about anything below the main event. That's why there's so much gold on the old nitros. Random guys who could work were put in random matchups and given time. That's just never going to happen again in a major promotion.

On the bold, isn't that basically half or more of raw ever since it went to three hours?

Not really. The majority of Raw matches are some part of a booked feud. The problem is that said feuds are generally poorly-booked and go nowhere, with variations if the same match-ups occurring repeatedly (eg. a month of different iterations of Usos/Naomi vs. Brass Ring Club/Nattie). 

Yes, the original question was flawed. I was thinking of Bischoff as the guy since he signed off on everything, but that really is a question about Sullivan. Fair points all.

Sullivan's discussed the New Japan deal and how tough it was to be diplomatic as Sullivan wanted certain Japanese guys to be booked strong to appease NJPW, while Eric didn't care. To him, he got paid big cash from NJPW for the exclusive rights for these guys to wrestle for the mighty WCW. Bischoff thought it made WCW look big as people were practically begging to wrestle there...

I think it was later passed 1996, but I remember Juvi winning the IWGP Light heavyweight championship on a random Nitro from Liger after smashing a bottle of Corona over his head. He ended up losing it the next week back to Liger, but even for the time I thought it was pretty damn random. Someway to treat a top import talent.

I think it was later passed 1996, but I remember Juvi winning the IWGP Light heavyweight championship on a random Nitro from Liger after smashing a bottle of Corona over his head. He ended up losing it the next week back to Liger, but even for the time I thought it was pretty damn random. Someway to treat a top import talent.

Yeah, that was during the Russo era I think.  

Yup, that was in the Russo era. He smashed a bottle of tequila over Liger's head to win the title. NJPW weren't happy and didn't recognize Juventud's reign officially until the late 2000's.

What's funny to me about that, is OF COURSE Russo had to have a title change.  Even though they could have done everything exactly the same, and most fans wouldn't even know Liger was a champion somewhere.

Well he did need to get Juvi over so that his loss to Oklahoma meant something.  The whole Cruiserweight division could have fallen apart if Juvi didn't get built up big so they could spring the Oklahoma/Madusa program off of it.  

• Like 2

Reading yesterday's Observer, holy crap Demott was a piece of shit.  Then again, so is Matt Wichlinski who was taking pictures of the women's asses.  Paige and Summer Rae were the main roster ladies taped by him.  It might be from at latest 2013, but I'm hoping all the cameras they have prevent this shit from happening again.  I'm sure this has been discussed to death on here, but if you have the Observer it's worth reading.

Terra Calaway, a women wrestler at a tryout camp, claimed DeMott called a trainee at the camp, who was of Middle Eastern descent, a terrorist, "Aladdin," "Fat fuck," and told him to go back to building bombs."

Bear in mind, there are people trying to minimize this behavior and claim it's not a big deal because DeMott is stuck in the "Good Ol' Days" or whatever the fuck. And in the '80s they told black wrestlers to go back to Africa too, apparently, and it was OK as well. 

Seriously: If I'm a Muslim guy or a black guy and some idiot redneck like DeMott talks to me like that, I'm leaving.

To get a baseball bat.

Harley Race was one of the prime movers behind at least one of the complaint letters getting written. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Harley Race, the undisputed king of old school bad-ass tough guys says you're being abusive and shitty, chances are, you're being abusive and shitty.

• Like 8

Speaking of terrible ideas involving Juvi, who remembers the Mexicools. I wonder whose idea it was to have them ride lawnmowers to the ring?

Hey, when you get a chance to ride a John Deer, you don't question it. You strap on and hold on tight.

• Like 2

Speaking of terrible ideas involving Juvi, who remembers the Mexicools. I wonder whose idea it was to have them ride lawnmowers to the ring?

Hey, when you get a chance to ride a John Deer, you don't question it. You strap on and hold on tight.

JUAN Deere.

• Like 1

Speaking of terrible ideas involving Juvi, who remembers the Mexicools.  I wonder whose idea it was to have them ride lawnmowers to the ring?

To be fair IIRC, it was meant to be satirical as in "This what all you whiteys think we're good for" kind of way, but that was kinda abandoned.

per Wiki

Juventud cut a promo questioning the lack of "true Mexican Luchadores" in WWE's cruiserweight division, before going on to deride the current state of Mexican Americans in general. Psicosis dubbed the lawnmower they arrived on a "Mexican Limo 2005" and the group claimed that even Mexico's President mocks Mexicans in the United States (referring to Vicente Fox's controversial remark that Mexican immigrants do the jobs "not even the blacks want to do"). Juventud then stated that they were "no longer there to clean toilets and work for "them" (the "gringos") but "they" were going to be working for "us" (The Mexicools)", before dubbing the team "not Mexicans but Mexicools!"[1] In the following weeks, they would continue to interfere in matches and mock the stereotypical image of Mexicans in the United States, even coming to the ring each with their own riding lawnmower.[3]

So there was an idea past "Let's put them on lawn mowers because they're Mexican", but like the Hassan character, subtlety doesn't play out in WWE for very long.  Per that same wiki article, they debuted on PPV in July 2005, but by October had turned face.

• Like 1

I would like to see the return of comedy Kurt Angle to the WWE.  I hope it happens one day.  

I'll second that. It's funny to see him acting in such bad D-level movies now, because he was as good as anyone I've ever seen at doing the comedy stuff on screen in WWE.

I would like to see the return of comedy Kurt Angle to the WWE.  I hope it happens one day.  

He needs to stop thinking that in 2015, he's still a main eventer.  

He'll, unfortunately, be dead before he does though.