DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I saw the John Oliver FIFA report a few weeks back, FIFA is one of the most insanely corrupt organisations on earth. Sepp Blatter might as well be a Bond Villain at this point.

Hank Scorpio for next FIFA presidente!

The thought we will 99.99% send a team over to the World Cup awarded to a country via bribery that built their stadiums using modern day slave labor is so vomit inducing.

Ermm ............... didn't they just announce that $110million of bribes were issued for the US getting the 2016 Copa America ?

The thought we will 99.99% send a team over to the World Cup awarded to a country via bribery that built their stadiums using modern day slave labor is so vomit inducing.

Well on the one hand it's 99.99% sure we've already sent a team to a World Cup awarded to a country via bribery, and while South Africa and Brazil aren't Qatar, I'm gonna doubt they were exactly paying all their workers union wages either.

That said, it's a bit more blatant now. I wonder if the various FAs could be persuaded to boycott 2022.

Well on the one hand it's 99.99% sure we've already sent a team to a World Cup awarded to a country via bribery, and while South Africa and Brazil aren't Qatar, I'm gonna doubt they were exactly paying all their workers union wages either.

That said, it's a bit more blatant now. I wonder if the various FAs could be persuaded to boycott 2022.

Over a few thousand dead Africans?  There are Visa executives that are planning 3rd and 4th private jet purchases based on this!

Do you know how much harder it is to coordinate your mistresses' vacations around your family's with only two private jets?

Have some fucking decency, man.

• Like 2

Hopefully this leads up to the arrest of the big mountain goat himself.

If you are talking about Chuck Blazer, apparently he snitched on everyone else and isn't facing charges.  He also rented a $6,000 apartment for his cats at the Trump Towers.

Chuck Blazer is gravely ill (colon cancer) edit: Regarding the post above, he already pled guilty to charges and turned state's evidence, wearing a wiretap at the London Olympics

Things are hotting up, guess we won't see Sepp and crew in Canada for the WWC...

From the Telegraph's live feed
MORE BREAKING NEWS - Sky are claiming that police have told ALL Swiss nationals working for Fifa - and that'll include Sepp Blatter - that they cannot leave the country!
  • Like 1

Ermm ............... didn't they just announce that $110million of bribes were issued for the US getting the 2016 Copa America ?

I have no idea how all that works and am a bit busy to go through the indictments. That will be some good reading tonight. But if so, everyone involved in US Soccer should be ashamed of themselves and they should cancel the event. They won't, though -- whatever shoe company has their logo on the US soccer jersey will make a gigantic stink.

Without getting into comparative geopolitics, we really should be ashamed of ourselves for not walking away from the past Winter Olympics due to Russia's treatment of homosexuals and their other civil rights abuses. I'd like to think we'd walk if it was this winter because of Ukraine but I know we wouldn't.

Brazilians weren't too thrilled with the spending insane amounts of money on stadiums they don't even use part of the World Cup. And there was also plenty of slum clearance and favela crackdowns during the events, too.

We should really be ashamed. I'm not a huge soccer fan by any means but I do like that it has really made a lot of in-roads into our sports culture the past few years. But looking the other way when this stuff happens and not putting our foot down is absolutely grotesque. ABC/ESPN could threaten to pull coverage and this would all change pretty quickly.

Great Europa League final going on in the midst of all this. 2-2 at the half.

ARGH stupid Europa League and their insane scheduling!  I always forget it or miss that.  Why do they always play that game on some random day?  Why isn't it like the saturday before the champions league?  Or some time on the weekend?  At least that would be better promotion for both events. 

• Like 1

Several folks have already pleaded guilty, and there looks to be something on the lines of $200 million already forfeited. The Swiss have also opened a seperate investigation on how the 2018-2022 WC were awarded.

But it's business as usual at FIFA.

You know your fucked when you can get the famously neutral/money laundering Swiss off their asses to come after you. 

Several folks have already pleaded guilty, and there looks to be something on the lines of $200 million already forfeited. The Swiss have also opened a seperate investigation on how the 2018-2022 WC were awarded.

But it's business as usual at FIFA.

You know your fucked when you can get the famously neutral/money laundering Swiss off their asses to come after you. 

I was looking at all the dudes who got charged and where they were from and I thought to myself, "Swiss, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica...These motherfuckers were stealing ALL the money."  You know how much money you have to steal for them to have a problem with it?

• Like 2