DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

I agree with Reese's stand on FIFA, WC, etc.

I'm also hoping BVB can keep it togeter and beat Wolfsburg just so they can send off Klopp with on a high note and with a trophy. It's going to be such an awesome game.

"LET´S GO FIFA! LET´S GO FIFA!" It´s so absurd how over the top the FIFA stuff is getting. To be honest, I don´t think anything would have changed with a Jordanian prince instead of Emperor Sepp. FIFA is a messed up organization.

Kiel and Munich 1860 played a horrible goalless draw in front of 10 000 (sold out, Kiel only has a very small venue) franatic fans under typically bad northern german weather conditions. It showed Kiel´s major strength (good physicality, solid defending) and Munich´s major weaknesses (totally uninspired play, no real unity as a team despite all the quality). One good opportunity for the hosts, another two or three half chances and maybe one dangerous shot from long distance by the guests. Like the other relegational play off, the decider will be the return leg. It will be played  next Tuesday at the Allianz Arena.

I'm waiting for Sepp to tell everyone he's in the waste management business.

Jesus, if this happened in literally any other profession in the world, the boss would fall on his sword...but this guy? You nearly have to admire his audacity.

Nearly.

I'm waiting for Sepp to tell everyone he's in the waste management business.

Jesus, if this happened in literally any other profession in the world, the boss would fall on his sword...but this guy? You nearly have to admire his audacity.

Nearly.

And now that he's re-elected, Blatter is on the attack:

"No-one is going to tell me that it was a simple coincidence this American attack two days before the elections of FIFA. It doesn't smell right. This has touched me and FIFA.

"Not only did they try to denigrate me but also they used the moment to say, 'This is the time to go'. Then it was said, 'We are going to boycott the congress'. But where are we? Where is the sportsmanship? There are signs that cannot be ignored. The Americans were the candidates for the World Cup of 2022 and they lost.

"The English were the candidates for 2018 and they lost, so it was really the English media and the American movement.

"If they have a financial crime that regards American citizens, then they must arrest these people there and not in Zurich when we have a congress in Zurich.

"The United States, it is the main sponsors of Hashemite kingdom [Jordan]. This corruption affair is between North America and South America. It was taken to Zurich and they say it is FIFA.''

The notion that the DoJ gives a single solitary shit about the 2022 World Cup is risible to say the least

Outside of the US giving lipservice to Human Rights violations, and our lack of being able to profit off it, I'm wondering why the DoJ gave a single solitary shit about FIFA to begin with.

The notion that the DoJ gives a single solitary shit about the 2022 World Cup is risible to say the least

Outside of the US giving lipservice to Human Rights violations, and our lack of being able to profit off it, I'm wondering why the DoJ gave a single solitary shit about FIFA to begin with.

$$$

It's not who hosts this tournament or that one. It's money flowing through U.S. banks and the government not getting its cut.

But it's SOP that when you're digging through the garbage for one crime, you prosecute all the others you come across as well, which FIFA won't lack for.

Yeah, DoJ is really a financial police institution as much as anything. They were the muscle behind the people that basically killed online poker in the United States too because there was a bunch of shady banking/tax evasion/embezzlement bullshit going on with the owners there too.

You fuck with the money and it passes through the United States (but doesn't end up in Wall Street or Washington), they're gonna come for you.

So Septic pulled the old "We are guilty as hell so instead of trying to prove the charges aren't true use the ulterior motives cannard to distract people from the facts" tactic. Someone should ask him if FIFA plans to errect a monument to the 4,000 slave laborers who will die for the WC in Qatar.

So Septic pulled the old "We are guilty as hell so instead of trying to prove the charges aren't true use the ulterior motives cannard to distract people from the facts" tactic. Someone should ask him if FIFA plans to errect a monument to the 4,000 slave laborers who will die for the WC in Qatar.

If by "monument" you mean "40 ft statue of the God of Football Sepp Blatter because FIFA only exists because of him and his amazing rule", then yeah., they probably do.

• Like 1

Giovinco is the best player in MLS and it's not even close

I read that he's making $7M a year. I didn't realize MLS teams had that kind of bread.

I'm pretty sure the league subsidizes designated player salaries.

Guest Edwin

Giovinco is the best player in MLS and it's not even close

Easily and it's not really a surprise or shouldn't be. He was great in Juve. I was actually kinda surprised to see him move to MLS at such a young age since he can still play at the top level in Europe.

The Orlando City vs. Columbus Crew game was fun. OC's a frustrating team to be a fan of. They should've won at least 5-2 as they had a couple of open clear chances on goal. Larin had a clear shot on goal past the GK and a CC defender popped out of nowhere and sent it outside and Higuita had a clear shot on goal and hit the crossbar.

Ribeiro scored an equalizing goal at the 88th minute which was great to experience live.

Say what you will about MLS' lack of quality, but there's always some drama in games as they're usually really close and there's always a late game winning or equalizing goal after the 85th minute.

In a fast paced cup final, Wolfsburg beat Dortmund 3-1 to win the ugly golden trophy.
All four goals were scored in the first half. Dortmund woulda/coulda/shoulda been up 2-0 very early when Reus failed to double Aubameyang´s lead (5th minute) from close range. Wolfsburg had a 20 minutes spell where they scored 3 goals out of 4 shots (the one saved shot leading to a rebounding goal) with Luiz Gustavo (22nd), de Bruyne (33rd) and Dost (38th) turning the game around,
Dortmund were denied a clear penalty right before half time and the ref missed a blatant foul right at the edge of the box later on. Especially the first missed call of course could have changed the game, but ultimately they looked as if they were not going to score when they came back for the second half.

The second half saw Dortmund mostly pushing, but the better chances were at Wolfsburg´s end. The BVB failed to make something out of Klopp´s tactical changes, when he tried to strengthen the right hand side bringing on Kuba and Piszcek later in the game, mostly trying to play through the middle. This was especially frustrating to watch because once they got some wing play going, they created their best chances, even before the two Polish internationals got subbed on. Ultimately Wolfsburg was the stronger team and had a better day and it´s hard to argue they deserved the win. As much as I´d like to, strongly disliking Wolfsburg etc. 

So, ah, yeah...Messi.

I've watched the goal at least 53 times on youtube. He's on the right wing, 40 yards from the nets, 3 players round him and thinks 'yeah, totally going to score here.'

The Barca players marking the fuck out for it is magnificent.

• Like 1

Going back to the Blatter/FIFA stuff there's a book called Foul! which was written in, IIRC, about 2006 which spoke about the corruption in FIFA then. Also the BBC exposed Warner et al "allegedly" taking bungs and such during the time when countries were bidding for the future World Cups. Funny that England didn't get a look in once the BBC exposed what was "allegedly" really going down. But seriously, there needs to be a real investigation into FIFA and for them to be a governing body for World Football beyond repute, but again when you look at the history of corruption in boxing and other sports I guess it's just an unfortunate reality. Makes you wonder whether there's any "alleged" involvement from organised crime within top sports and that's why the corrupt element is so hard to stamp out.