DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Great Europa League final going on in the midst of all this. 2-2 at the half.

ARGH stupid Europa League and their insane scheduling!  I always forget it or miss that.  Why do they always play that game on some random day?  Why isn't it like the saturday before the champions league?  Or some time on the weekend?  At least that would be better promotion for both events. 

It´s weird because after I don´t know how many CL Saturday finals, I´m still not used to it and anticipate the game to be on a Wednesday. ;)

Seville wins a fun CL final. It was weird to hear the announcers and pundits talk about how solid Dnipro were on defense and how great Seville´s short passes were supposed to be when the Ukrainians lost the match on defense and the Spaniards were most threatening with set pieces, long balls especially. Nontheless, good match, although I could have lived without the shocking moment of Matheus collapsing. Far too often this led to tragic and horrible scenes, I hope the guy is alright.

• Like 1

Oh man, I hope this is just paper talk bullshit for DFA's sake. Tottenham, according to Sky, have submitted a £12m bid for Danny Ings just one month ahead of his contract expiring. Apparently they do this in order to beat out the likes of Liverpool (thank fuck) and Sociedad for the coveted Danny Ings sweepstakes!

Now, if only somebody would buy Benteke before Liverpool drops a cool £30m on him. Yay for transfer committees.

Oh man, I hope this is just paper talk bullshit for DFA's sake. Tottenham, according to Sky, have submitted a £12m bid for Danny Ings just one month ahead of his contract expiring. Apparently they do this in order to beat out the likes of Liverpool (thank fuck) and Sociedad for the coveted Danny Ings sweepstakes!

Now, if only somebody would buy Benteke before Liverpool drops a cool £30m on him. Yay for transfer committees.

I like these "English teams overpay other English teams for a British person" deals a lot better when other teams do it.

On the other hand... maybe Tottenham can pull off the same dealie with Andros Townsend? Please?

Guest Edwin

Sevilla! Happy to see them win.

Great game. Now 5 La Liga teams will be in next seasons Champions League; Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla.

Bacca had an amazing performance.

Great way to end the season for him.

Dnipro played a lot better than I expected them to.

No one takes them seriously now, but everyone with their hands on the levers of power are in on the con. For FIFA to emerge from this in a reasonably uncorrupted form will take the demolition of essentially the entire power structure.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2015/05/28/12181192/blatter-i-cant-monitor-everyone-all-of-the-time?ICID=HP_HN_1

"Fifa president Sepp Blatter has refused to accept any blame for the corruption scandal that has rocked the game's governing body, claiming that he cannot "monitor everyone all of the time".

Uefa president Michel Platini urged his "friend" to walk away from the most important position in football for the good of the game, but the Swiss says that he remains the best man for the job and is confident that he can restore Fifa's reputation if he defeats sole rival Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan in Friday's presidential election."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-fifa-corruption-soccer.html?rref=sports/soccer&module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=Soccer&action=click&region=FixedRight&pgtype=Multimedia

FIFA must police itself!  (AKA please police, leave us alone now)

How can you be running an organization where EVERYONE below you is indicted, but you are innocent?  That "tiny minority" of corruption he speaks of just happens to be EVERYONE who works for him!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-indictments.html

Looking at the executive committee...why aren't there more europeans or asians on the council?  They are all either north or south american....

So yeah, business as usual. It's not like it's Blatter's JOB or anything to monitor the people working for him and make sure they weren't being corrupt.  If any other business in the world was going through a scandal like this, the President or CEO would be gone immediately.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2015/05/28/12181192/blatter-i-cant-monitor-everyone-all-of-the-time?ICID=HP_HN_1

"Fifa president Sepp Blatter has refused to accept any blame for the corruption scandal that has rocked the game's governing body, claiming that he cannot "monitor everyone all of the time".

Uefa president Michel Platini urged his "friend" to walk away from the most important position in football for the good of the game, but the Swiss says that he remains the best man for the job and is confident that he can restore Fifa's reputation if he defeats sole rival Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan in Friday's presidential election."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-fifa-corruption-soccer.html?rref=sports/soccer&module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=Soccer&action=click&region=FixedRight&pgtype=Multimedia

FIFA must police itself!  (AKA please police, leave us alone now)

How can you be running an organization where EVERYONE below you is indicted, but you are innocent?  That "tiny minority" of corruption he speaks of just happens to be EVERYONE who works for him!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-indictments.html

Looking at the executive committee...why aren't there more europeans or asians on the council?  They are all either north or south american....

So yeah, business as usual. It's not like it's Blatter's JOB or anything to monitor the people working for him and make sure they weren't being corrupt.  If any other business in the world was going through a scandal like this, the President or CEO would be gone immediately.

Actually, Enron changed the game so if you're a CEO and you sign off on misleading statements prepared by others, you face criminal charges. That's more-or-less what Ken Lay was convicted on. He was the face of the company but his underlings did most of the misdeeds. But since he signed off and talked up Enron's finances in earnings reports and the media, he faced a 20-years.

FIFA's obviously not a publicly traded corporation, so the rules are different. But it's the thought that counts...

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Moving on... I got tickets for Saturdays OC game against Columbus Crew.

Last time around these teams played was in Ohio and OC lost pretty badly 3-0.

This time around it's at the Citrus Bowl where OC beat LA 4-0 in their last home game, but that's not really saying much as there's a good chance OC lose or draw at best.

OC has been better off in the last couple of games where they've changed the starting 11 rotating players to different positions and changing starters namely Hall starting for Ricketts. And it's worked a lot better.

I've been to various OC games and they've either drawn or lost. Hopefully it's not the case again, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Considering there were rumours of bribery etc even for the 2006 Germany World Cup, I´m not really sure if any of the major footballing federations is worse than others in regards of corruption etc. It just seems less blatant with balony stuff like a Quatar World Cup. There have been a fair share of scandals in the past. The last two World Cups, Brazil and South Africa, already had some weird stuff surrounding them. South Africa was a very weird decision because other countries in Africa had far more enthusiasm regarding football, some of them were already prepared better than South Africa (I recall Marocco having numerous stadia up to standard as far back as the year 2000, when Germany and South Africa were running head to head). Brazil had the horrible way of handling the favelas and the protests surrounding the whole event, although there was a shutdown on all those things regarding mass media.

And yeah, even as a huge football fan I feel bad to watch the big tournaments. It seems like the majority of people in stadia are officials, representatives of countries or companies or some weird combination of event fans and models to make everything look pretty. People are waving and cheering to the camera with "their" team being down and about to get eliminated and the like. This leads to me feeling bad about being annoyed by THIS as opposed to the fact that little Jimmy and his family got thrown out their home for the stadium to even be built. But in the end, I can´t stop watching, and often the tournament rewards you with great matches and big moments you will remember for years to come. Yeah, I´m that guy from Nick Hornby´s fever pitch, the guy who revers your birthday on July 13th because it was the day Goetze scored a great half volley from a booming Schuerrle run + cross with his weak left foot in the 113th minute of extra time to win Germany the World Cup. I´m not proud of it, but I will always watch the FIFA competitions, even if Blatter reveals himself as the embodiment of pure evil. The stuff happening on grass is - supposedly - a footballing competition on a very high level and as bad as the shit surrounding it, I really want to see the matches.

Just like grizzlyedwin put it, moving on...

Bundesliga relegation-playoff first leg saw Hamburger SV draw Karlsruher SC 1-1 at home.
Karlsruhe´s Hennings - a former player for Hamburg as well as city rivals St.Pauli - scored with their very first shot in the 4th minute, leaving Hamburg in deep trouble for the majority of the match. 2. Bundesliga´s third place was able to create a good amount of further chances to double the lead, and one point striking the crossbar twice within 15 seconds. Only for the last twenty minutes of the game the only remaining founding member of the Bundesliga was able to pressure the KSC into their own half, albeit without creating much. Ultimately a lucky bounce and a good shot from Ilicevic in the 73rd minute helped the home team to prevent a worst case scenario for the return leg on Monday in southern Germania. It is still a tricky situation: The relegational playoffs follow the same rules as the UEFA competitions, if the teams draw over both legs, away goals are used as a tie-breaker. This means the HSV needs to score at least once to keep any hope to avoid relegation alive. Considering they had the worst attack (scoring 25) in the Bundesliga and Karlsruhe the joined best defense (26 conceeded) in the 2. Bundesliga. this is going to be tough.
However, since they hired Bruno Labbadia as their coach, the club from Hamburg has been able to score in all but one of their last seven games, vastly improving their ratio. Karlsruhe looked solid, but not amazing, yet they have reasons to be mad at themselves for letting this game slip. If I judge purely on quality from the first leg, they should be able to get Hamburg relegated for the first time. If I judge on fortune, however, Hamburg will definetly keep their spot in the league.

Today marks 2. Bundesliga playoffs, Holstein Kiel playing Munich 1860 at home. Kiel is the city I live in and they are the odds on underdog, I keep my fingers crossed for them. We are actually a handball city, but the majority of people are caught up in enthusiasm after an amazing season. A win today could be a huge step, but a huge away game in front of 60 000 awaits the team from Germany´s third heighest division, which could mean a nerv wrecking atmosphere. Well, wait, see and enjoy, I guess. Realistically the relegation is more than one could have hoped for. Stoked for this.

Tomorrow marks the Juergen Klopp´s last competitive match for Dortmund, when they square off Wolfsburg in the cup final. Hoping for Dortmund to win, but I´d say Wolfsburg have to be considered favourites after their very good season. I will post a wrap up of the final on Sunday, hopefully.

• Like 2

The live vote is being streamed on ESPN's soccer site, it's enthralling. Swiss guy randomly telling countries in alphabetical order which booth to go to to vote with muzak in the background.