DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

Sony is really talking out of both sides of their mouths here "We didn't want it pulled!"

But they take down all of its digital marketing.

"We didn't cave, the exhibitors did! And nobody is stepping up to distribute it online digitally!"

But they don't announce any plans for a DVD/Blu-ray release.

Bunch of mealy mouthed pansies.

• Like 3

North Korea threatening the US if they.... don't let them help investigate? "The nation is so anxious to "help" that it warned the US of "grave consequences" if it doesn't undertake a joint probe."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/20/north-korea-offers-joint-investigation/?ncid=rss_truncated

Meanwhile, Evan Goldberg (co-director) and most of his staff think it's an inside job at Sony.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/788776/evan-goldberg-wonders-if-sony-hack-was-inside-job

We should all be talking more about the possibility of an animated Mario movie, by Sony.

Let's see how Ratchet and Clank turns out first. If Sony and Rainmaker can't put together a decent adaptation of that then I don't see Sony, Arad of all people and Nintendo being able to make something as abstract as the basic Mario story work as a movie. (It also seems highly unlikely that Nintendo would WANT to work with Sony Pictures when probably Dreamworks would kill to get their hands on the property, has a better track record with theatrical animation and isn't in competition with Nintendo in the games industry.)

Wouldn't Disney seem natural, since they already used Nintendo characters in Wreck-It Ralph?

Absolutely not. If I'm Disney, I don't touch Mario (or ANY "live" license) for an animated film with a 10-foot pole. If I'm making 4 animated movies every 3 years (the annual 'animated canon' film plus one Pixar every 3 or so years), then doing a licensed film means one year where whatever I make, I'm having to work with a partner who has very specific requirements on what characters can and can't do (much like Disney themselves), who's getting a big chunk of box office and who may already have merch deals in place with someone else (and will be taking a cut even if they don't), and who CERTAINLY aren't going to let me have their characters in perpetuity for Disney Princess crossover stuff, Infinity games and the occasional drop-in on whatever the modern equivalent of House of Mouse is.  My first question is "If this takes off, will we still be able to make Disney Princess dolls of Peach and Daisy in fifteen years? Can we develop a ride at Tokyo Disney?"  Even if Mario does bigger box-office than Frozen, from Disney's POV that's still less profit on the 20-year timeline than making a movie that does comparatively modest BO but gives me that long-tail merch potential.

ETA: The rules are different with live-action, because that perpetual marketing and 'universe' stuff isn't nearly as important to the brand identity as it is with the cartoons. But live-ac Mario would be a disaster even if the people making it 'get' Mario.

We should all be talking more about the possibility of an animated Mario movie, by Sony.

Let's see how Ratchet and Clank turns out first. If Sony and Rainmaker can't put together a decent adaptation of that then I don't see Sony, Arad of all people and Nintendo being able to make something as abstract as the basic Mario story work as a movie. (It also seems highly unlikely that Nintendo would WANT to work with Sony Pictures when probably Dreamworks would kill to get their hands on the property, has a better track record with theatrical animation and isn't in competition with Nintendo in the games industry.)

Arad emailed Pascal, and it seemed to imply that the Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata were at least aware of Arad talking to Pascal. She sent the email to Tri-Star, and they supposedly want Genndy Tartakovsky to direct.

Arad emailed Pascal, and it seemed to imply that the Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata were at least aware of Arad talking to Pascal. She sent the email to Tri-Star, and they supposedly want Genndy Tartakovsky to direct.

I'm well aware of that. I'm saying that Sony doesn't have a terribly good track record with animation AND their animated slate for the next couple years is based around Playstation properties, so I don't understand why Arad would go to them over DW. (Then again, I don't understand why Nintendo would use Arad to broker the deal in the first place.)

You guys all suck. That Jolie Cleopatra movie would be a wonderful adventure in excess. 

Kinda off topic but I was reading an article about Marilyn Monroe a few weeks ago and it mentioned that partly why she was so difficult on the set of Something's Gotta Give (apart from the whole "rampant drug addiction" thing) was she had been determined to star in Cleopatra and she was furious Fox had went with Taylor instead of her.  

So if you ever think "Could that movie be more of a disaster?" Well, yes. It definitely could have been.

Here's a largely uninteresting personal story.

A buddy of mine texted me a while back that he had passes to a preview screening of The Interview.  At the time, I had no interest in seeing it, so I never followed up with him.  If I'd known all this was going to happen, I would've gone to see it just for short-term bragging rights (I think the odds are still pretty decent that we'll all be able to see it in the long term).

I texted him today to ask if he'd gone to see it.  He replied "No, I never used the passes... Had u gone with me I would have... I blame u"

So some people blame Sony, some people blame the theatres, some people blame Kim Jong-un, and at least one person blames me.  :(

• Like 1

They should just change the ending to Rogen & Franco smoking weed with Kim Jong Un instead of killing him. Un becomes a stoner, and as a result, North Korea is the most easy going country in the world after that.