DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

None of this has made me want to see The Interview more.  I'm usually okay with most Seth Rogen flicks(well, the ones I remember seeing), but this just looks bad.  However, I don't want to be departed so I just pump my fist when anyone mentions it in passing.

There's no way it will be better than This is the End, but I'm still curious enough to watch it and that was before all of this shit started. Also, admittedly, I thought the premise was pretty fucking dumb when I saw the first trailer. Just make Pineapple Express 2 already, which, yeah, I know that's they were doing in This is the End, but I'd rather see that than The Interview.

Heh. You know that local art theater I was talking about earlier? They're playing The Interview. So is the local (of the two, the good) multiplex. Not like I'll be going, but hey, Champaign is a movie town and we do what the fuck we want. Apparently Savoy too since the multiplex is there.

I wanted to punch the Art's GM in the face when he said they don't usually play "big budget" stuff like The Interview, when 1/2 the stuff they run is mainstream horror/comedy/action movies.

For the record, it took about 3 hours for it to be up on the big sites.

If you are willing to give Sony your credit card info to watch this online after events of the last week, well, God bless you and good luck with that.

As a PS4 user, I already give them my credit card information to use PSN and what not.  It ain't going to change much.  My credit card has pretty good fraud protection anyway.

I hope Rogen and Franco never make Pineapple Express 2.  It would be like making a sequel to Anchorman.

I have mixed feelings:

On one hand, you absolutely shouldn't have Kim Jong-un dictating what movies people can watch and have movie executives caving into his whims. So this is a good thing.

But then I agree with what Adrian Hong said: North Korea is not a laughing matter. One day, hopefully, the people there will be free and the rest of the world is going to find out what has really been going on there...and it's going to be the most fucked up shit imaginable. People who've managed to flee have compared the prison camps with Auschwitz and I doubt they're exaggerating or lying.

And instead of maybe making making serious movies trying to expose these issues....Hollywood is laughing at what a buffoon the monster behind all this is? I mean, we have the luxury of laughing at the guy. Living under him must be an absolute nightmare.

Milos Forman said Charlie Chaplin's performance in The Great Dictator helped liberate the people of Europe from under Hitler.  Not saying this film would do the same, but I just don't think it means we can't make fun or caricature dictators in art.

Did people here really not go to see the South Park movie or Team America because of the atrocities Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il had committed?

Milos Forman said Charlie Chaplin's performance in The Great Dictator helped liberate the people of Europe from under Hitler.  Not saying this film would do the same, but I just don't think it means we can't make fun or caricature dictators in art.

Did people here really not go to see the South Park movie or Team America because of the atrocities Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il had committed?

But Chaplin also admitted he would have never turned Hitler into a comedic figure if he'd known about the concentration camps.

Fair point about Saddam. I've laughed at Osama jokes too.

But I would put Kim Jong Un in the same category as Bashar Al- Assad. Some people are too hideously evil to even laugh even. And certainly while they're still in the middle of committing their evil acts with no end in sight.

So a number of different cybersecurity firms have done their own investigations, and came to the conclusion that it was more or less an "inside hack job".

Kurt Stammberger, a senior vice president with cybersecurity firm Norse, says data is pointing towards a woman who calls herself "Lena" and claims to be connected with the so-called "Guardians of Peace" hacking group. Norse believes it's identified this woman as someone who worked at Sony in Los Angeles for ten years until leaving the company this past May.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-the-fbi-get-it-wrong-on-north-korea/

Assuming this is true... I kind of doubt Kim Jong Un gives a flying fuck. He's just capitalizing on the fervor around this story, and trying to paint himself in a positive light. And the US is trying to put a bullseye on North Korea (rightfully so), but the FBI and CIA fucking suck at covering their tracks and planting stuff to make sure everyone thinks it's who they want us to believe it was. They could have blamed this on China, and people would have believed it. It's important to note that the Guardians of Peace DO exist, but in all liklihood, they aren't contracted by any government, especially NK.

But, what do I know? What do any of these cyber security experts know? :P God Bless America!

• 4 weeks later...