DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

He's sort of right, even though his language is fucking ridiculous. (NEVER BACK DOWN)

They can't release the film if no one will show it, which is why I believe they WILL release it eventually just not right now. They're going to wait until the theater chains fish their testicles(or ovaries, I guess) out of the mason jar and show the stupid fucking movie. Their decision was based on money, it was the theater chains that acted on fear.

The next time a movie comes out that features a character considering terminating a pregnancy, the pro-lifers are going to be jumping on the bandwagon and sending death threats to the studio. Or if a movie advocating gun control (or starring an actor who advocates gun control), the gun nuts will be thinking they can get it banned by threatening some murders. From now on, all Hollywood movies will be (even more) scared of having something to say. Great job~!

Your larger point is correct, but those are two terrible examples.

Give us a better example then.

They can't release the film if no one will show it, which is why I believe they WILL release it eventually just not right now. They're going to wait until the theater chains fish their testicles(or ovaries, I guess) out of the mason jar and show the stupid fucking movie. Their decision was based on money, it was the theater chains that acted on fear.

It's going to be even funnier when they try to go that route and the same thing happens.

Go what route? I don't think I mentioned one.

They won't announce a release until they can get a deal from the chains saying they'll show it. Sony is being smart to try and push the attention back on to the theaters. They need to turn it up somehow, but outside of some kind of "Call your local theater chain" campaign(which will fail because no one cares THAT much) I don't know what leverage they can use.

Go what route? I don't think I mentioned one.

Waiting to release it in theaters.

They won't announce a release until they can get a deal from the chains saying they'll show it.

If that's the case, you're not going to get it from major chains if you're using them as scapegoats (indirectly or not). They allowed them to make the decision and then they made it.

"Hey, you were strong-armed by anonymous threats. Why not get strong-armed by us instead?"

Guest The Magnificent 7

The next time a movie comes out that features a character considering terminating a pregnancy, the pro-lifers are going to be jumping on the bandwagon and sending death threats to the studio. Or if a movie advocating gun control (or starring an actor who advocates gun control), the gun nuts will be thinking they can get it banned by threatening some murders. From now on, all Hollywood movies will be (even more) scared of having something to say. Great job~!

Your larger point is correct, but those are two terrible examples.

Give us a better example then.

Left-wing commie dirtbag country causes all this bullshit, but the REAL PROBLEM is these right-wing bogeymen over here. 

This board straight kills me sometimes. 

There's nothing left wing about dictatorship. "From each according to their means, to each according to their needs" is incompatible with one individual with absolute power.

Sorry for talking about politics everyone.

• Like 1

Things are getting even more weird:

Late Thursday, Sony received conflicting messages purportedly from the hackers. One, posted publicly, told the studio it has "suffered enough" and is free to release The Interview.

At the same time, a private message sent to some Sony executives Thursday night told them they had made a "very wise" decision when they canceled the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy, an official at Sony told USA TODAY on background. The official would not be identified because the person was not authorized to speak on the record.

The dueling messages are diametrically opposed.

The private message read, "Now we want you never let the movie released, distributed or leaked in any form of, for instance, DVD or piracy," adding "And we want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately."

That's a very different one from the a public posting, also made late Thursday night, to Pastebin, an online file-sharing website. The hackers have been using Pastebin to release their messages for the past several weeks. That message read, "You have suffered through enough threats. We lift the ban. The Interview may release now."

It is impossible to know if the Pastebin message is actually from the Guardians of Peace, the shadowy hacker group that claims to have infiltrated Sony's computer network and stolen millions of files.

It was Lizard Squad all along just f'n with Sony?

Some good analaysis of the hack and why NK doesn't fit the profile, and lots of links to interesting bits of news that may be getting glossed over: http://marcrogers.org/2014/12/18/why-the-sony-hack-is-unlikely-to-be-the-work-of-north-korea/

I guess it really just depends on if you want to believe the govenrment and FBI or not.  Earlier they said North Korea had no connection to all the Sony hacks.  George Clooney believes it though.

One thing to keep in mind: Christmas is a big money making week for theater chains, and having consumers afraid that North Korea is going to attack might very well hurt business for other films.

I'm not in favor of the cowardice route, but it is somewhat understandable why they chose it.

I guess it really just depends on if you want to believe the govenrment and FBI or not.  Earlier they said North Korea had no connection to all the Sony hacks.  George Clooney believes it though.

George Clooney works for the CIA. I don't trust him and I sure as hell don't trust any of the others. 2014 hasn't been a great year for trusting the government.

• Like 1

South Korea is actually planning to airdrop copies of the DVD into North Korea.

Credit to South Korea: They're within missile rage of NK and arguably the only ones under genuine threat from Kim Jung Un...and they still take the oppertunity to give him the finger every chance they get. (South Korea also do a lot of North Korea satire in television and movies.)

Sony cave as soon as some emails get out.

You are greatly overestimating North Korea, the south could crush them if China stayed out of it.

I thought the most shocking thing about all of this is SONY stands to lose anywhere between $75 and $200 Million dollars on this. There must be some really bad shit in those emails for them to take that kind of hit.

It is more the bad will that has come up between actors, producers, directors, and SONY employees.

You take a culture that is already back stabbing on a good day and you drag everything to the surface.  There is a lot of bad blood boiling to the surface and people may not be willing to work with SONY or certain people on upcoming projects.

Only good thing for Sony is that the execs would probably be relieved if Angelina Jolie took Cleopatra elsewhere.

Calling Will Smith's kids crazy might have been a bad move but part of me thinks Will has to know how bizarre his kids are. I mean, it would just take ONE conversation.

"Hey, Willow, Jaden. How was your day?"

"I contemplated the utter futility of life then begun work on my quantum physics thesis."

"Well, I realized that time and the world as we know it is nothing but an illusion."

It must be like raising two little Rusty Cohles. Poor Will and Jada.

What makes you think Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are any less bizarre?  Isn't Will Smith like a closet scientologist/

Doesn't look like Jolie is taking Cleopatra away from the studio for now.  Besides, it wasn't Sony execs that bashed her.

What makes you think Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are any less bizarre?  Isn't Will Smith like a closet scientologist/

Doesn't look like Jolie is taking Cleopatra away from the studio for now.  Besides, it wasn't Sony execs that bashed her.

Well Will can do interviews without sounding like he's writing for True Detective so I assume he's still somewhat grounded.

I can't see Cleopatra happening. At least not with Sony. They've admitted they think it's garbage, she's a fool and the project will bomb. Not the best thing for a film to have hanging over it.  Throw in that the original is famous for being the biggest flop ever and Angelina might be better just finding something else.

We should all be talking more about the possibility of an animated Mario movie, by Sony.

Let's see how Ratchet and Clank turns out first. If Sony and Rainmaker can't put together a decent adaptation of that then I don't see Sony, Arad of all people and Nintendo being able to make something as abstract as the basic Mario story work as a movie. (It also seems highly unlikely that Nintendo would WANT to work with Sony Pictures when probably Dreamworks would kill to get their hands on the property, has a better track record with theatrical animation and isn't in competition with Nintendo in the games industry.)

We should all be talking more about the possibility of an animated Mario movie, by Sony.

Let's see how Ratchet and Clank turns out first. If Sony and Rainmaker can't put together a decent adaptation of that then I don't see Sony, Arad of all people and Nintendo being able to make something as abstract as the basic Mario story work as a movie. (It also seems highly unlikely that Nintendo would WANT to work with Sony Pictures when probably Dreamworks would kill to get their hands on the property, has a better track record with theatrical animation and isn't in competition with Nintendo in the games industry.)

Wouldn't Disney seem natural, since they already used Nintendo characters in Wreck-It Ralph?