DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

They were spitballing on the news about the film just being released on DVD or some shit. Yeah right, like a film that publicized with TV ads every ten minutes isn't gonna be in every damn US theater on Christmas. Then they actually said something to the extent of "government agencies say there are no plans for attacks on theaters".  :rolleyes: I can see it now: "North Korean attacker charges theater with gun; immediately surrenders and begs for popcorn"

You might want to hold off on the every theater part:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-carmike-cinemas-drops-758444

In addition, the NYC premiere on Thursday has been cancelled.

I am posting this carefully because it could veer off into Reed-Territory, BUT 

I find this Sony Hacker situation incredibly surreal. I think we've had days of "Wow, these hackers are great. Look at all of these AMAZING E-Mails we're reading!" There was an op ed on CNN's front page thanking them, and I think the entire internet went up in arms against Sony a couple of days ago when they threatened to sue news organizations who posted the leaked e-mails. Then suddenly they made fairly direct, physical terrorist threats and now everything has suddenly become far more uncomfortable. 

It feels like something out of The Black Mirror.

It's all baloney drama, I wouldn't get uncomfortable about it. Nothing is going to happen except the movie will make a lot of money, and some of us will go back and look at the news that wasn't reported during this time period and find some more horrible shit our government is doing while our backs are turned.

• Like 5

Wait, North Korea don't want us to a see a Seth Rogen movie. Seth Rogen movies are usually poop and no one should go see them anyway.

So...is it possible North Korea are actually a small, isolated, misunderstood state who are, in fact, trying to help humanity by sparing them from viewing a terrible flick?

That's it. From this point  on I refuse to see any movie that Our Grand Leader Who Is Perfect In Nearly Every Way Kim Jong-un does not endorse.

• Like 1

It's all baloney drama, I wouldn't get uncomfortable about it. Nothing is going to happen except the movie will make a lot of money, and some of us will go back and look at the news that wasn't reported during this time period and find some more horrible shit our government is doing while our backs are turned.

LOL

6th UPDATE, 11:33 AM: The movie looks dead: All of the major exhibition chains including Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Cineplex are expected to announce today that they have decided not to show Sony’s The Interview  following a hacker threat yesterday against venues that show the controversial comedy. Yesterday Sony gave theater owners the option to back away from the film. Earlier today their trade group, the National Association of Theatre Owners, said that ” individual cinema operators may decide to delay exhibition of the movie so that our guests may enjoy a safe holiday movie season experiencing the many other exciting films we have to offer.”

https://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-theater-owners-pull-the-interview-terror-threats-1201327612/

LOL

6th UPDATE, 11:33 AM: The movie looks dead: All of the major exhibition chains including Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Cineplex are expected to announce today that they have decided not to show Sony’s The Interview  following a hacker threat yesterday against venues that show the controversial comedy. Yesterday Sony gave theater owners the option to back away from the film. Earlier today their trade group, the National Association of Theatre Owners, said that ” individual cinema operators may decide to delay exhibition of the movie so that our guests may enjoy a safe holiday movie season experiencing the many other exciting films we have to offer.”

https://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-theater-owners-pull-the-interview-terror-threats-1201327612/

You couldn't build better anticipation for a film.

I didn't say it was a marketing campaign. I'm saying the anticipation for watching this movie has gone up. The movie could get scrapped all together and put in a vault next to The Day the Clown Cried for all I care. My point is that the whole story itself is theatrics. 

Losing millions and millions of dollars, leaking medical records and threatening acts of terrorism is not a marketing campaign

If it is, then Sony Entertainment is ahead of the curve.

Just let it go, jae.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm torn on whether or not that's the right thing to do.  "Don't let the terrorists win" vs. "It's just a movie".

It's absolutely the wrong thing to do.  People who give into the Heckler's Veto can eat a bag of dicks.