DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

I always like to remind people that Spidey 3 was hugely successful. Adjusted for inflation, if it had been released in 2014, it would have been the #1 movie, by a wide margin.

Even without adjusting for inflation, it made more money than GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, and the 3rd HUNGER GAMES movie is just barely going to squeak by (domestically, the international win would still go to Spidey).

I can comfortably say that The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X2, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Man of Steel and Captain America: Winter Soldier are all better than Spider-Man 2 (which I did enjoy).

Oh I see you trying to slip in that Man of Steel movie in there, Niners Fan.  We might let the others in the V.I.P. room but that one isn't getting in with a Snyder pass.

• Like 1

Even though a small part of me dies every time I agree with a 49ers fan (I kid Niners, I kid)... I'm totally with Niners on this. I enjoyed Man of Steel more than Spiderman 2 (which I did like as well but not as much).

• Like 1

Not gonna feed into the MoS thing again but I guess if we're making controversial statements, I'll add mine:

Every Marvel Cinematic U movie was better than Spidey 2. Yes, I'm including The Incredible Hulk in that statement. Even though I realize only me and like one other guy on this board think that movie was awesome.

• Like 1

And not to derail things further, but if we're going by DC and Marvel comic book movies, my top 5 is probably something like:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Avengers
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. X-Men: Days of Future Past

It's pretty astounding the leaps comic book movies have made in the last 5 years. I almost feel like Avengers needs to be bumped and Captain America 2 deserves a spot in there.

Spider-Man 3 is a good movie if you skip forward to next chapter every time you see Kirsten Dunst. If not, it's in the Twilight genre*. Spider-Man 2 was much better. And anyone who points out that 3 made a lot of money is basically arguing that Justin Beiber is better than The Ramones. So shut up with that shite.

* The "Two guys who could have pretty much any woman they wanted, fight over one that neither would realistically want" genre. 

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, ran out of likes for the last two pages. Will give them later.

Big Marvel Studios annoucements while I was away. I've put my post on them in spoiler tags for the size:

I have mixed feelings on Captain America: Civil War. Positives are out of the franchises with two films, Captain America is by far the best. Writers for both films, Christopher Markus/Stephen McFreely return for this as do the Russo Brothers to direct like they did the last film, Captain America: The Winter Soldier which is the best solo film by Marvel Studios. When Captain America: The Winter Soldier ended, I looked forward to more Winter Soldier and Falcon. My concern is time taken away from them with Iron Man, Black Panther and possibly Spider-Man as well. I never expected either to be in. I like how the solo films focus on that characters world before bringing them back together in Avengers films. Hope Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s supporting cast isn’t shortchanged. I see this as MCU’s version of Civil War like Extremis and The Winter Soldier.

I like Doctor Strange through his appearances in the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon and the Spider-Man comics I’ve read with him in. Be good to see the magical/supernatural with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the title role. Guardians of the Galaxy felt like something different in the buildup to release. I thought that would help rather than hinder but it’s done even better critically and financially than I predicted. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 should do it again. Thor is underrated and I liked Thor: The Dark World though preferred the first film. Thor hasn’t had a great solo film like Iron Man and Captain America both times, more Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Hope the third time’s the charm with Thor: Ragnarok.

All I know about Black Panther and Captain Marvel is from their inclusions in the great animated Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes series. From the show, I wanted solo films for both. Black Panther will appear in Captain America: Civil War before his solo film played by Chadwick Boseman who I’ve never seen in anything. Concept art of Black Panther is great, doesn’t need changing. A few names for Captain Marvel I’ve come up with: Katie Sackhoff, Kristen Bell, Leslie Bibb and Emily Blunt.

I had my first experience of Inhumans last year as Inhuman #1 was included with The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 and better still in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s second season. Long term planning introducing Inhumans in 2014, five years before the film in 2019. I like the premise of the Inhumans that experience to the Terrigen Mists unlock superpowers in those who possess the relevant DNA.

Avengers: Infinity War is split into two over two years so I lumped them together. I had to find out who the purple guy was in the credits scene from Avengers Assemble. I understand the basic gist of the Infinity Gauntlet comic storyline. I’ve enjoyed the lengthy build to it so far and if it’s likely a big cast going up against Thanos, understand splitting the film up and for some more brass!

As for Marvel Studios solo films I’d like to see: The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and the Winter Solder though the chances of the latter is low to none. I'd also like to see a Loki film because of Tom Hiddleston's performances as the character. Be interesting to get one on a villain. Shame none were confirmed at the Marvel Phase Three presentation.

For a while I wished Marvel Studios had the rights to their biggest character, Spider-Man with the job they’ve done. Spider-Man will be shared by Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures. Spider-Man will first appear in an MCU film then Sony Pictures on the 28th of July 2017 produced with Marvel Studios. This is big. Very happy MS will get Spider-Man who will forever for me be THE biggest Marvel character, making his rightful appearance in the MCU. I do wish MS have the Spidey rights outright and not SP having final creative control, Hopefully SP will let MS do all the creative side going by MS’s track record with the odd mistakes. Now MS have Spider-Man, they’ll want to go all out to do justice to the character. Into seeing the story, castings and costumes they’ll choose. My say? Use the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, easily the best adaptation of the source material and holds its own to the best Spider-Man works ever.

• Like 4