DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Wouldn't it be funny if they didn't cast anyone to play Spider-Man in Civil War, had him stay in costume at all times and made him a CGI-only character, like Hulk?

Obviously they won't. The money scene from the comics is the unmasking of Spider-Man, they'd be stupid not to do it. I can see them announcing whoever's playing Spidey as playing someone else, for the surprise factor, but the internet will spoil the surprise for almost everyone. Unless they have half a dozen characters who may or may not be fake.

• 3 weeks later...

Marvel Studios is high on the Russo Brothers. 

They've been rumored to have been asked to take over the directing responsibilities for Avengers - Infinity War Parts 1 & 2 and the Spidey reboot.

Miles Morales didn't become Spider-Man until after Peter Parker died, right?

If Civil War has to start with a cataclysmic event that drives Stark to his anti-vigilante position, put Andrew Garfield in there as one of the casualties. Even show that he was wearing a Spidey suit under his clothes, identify him as Peter Parker RIP... then have Spider-Man show up later with the mask on, so everyone assumes it's a fake death and Garfield is still Parker is still Spidey. Then have Miles Morales unmask as a surprise later on.

Peter Parker is a household name, even for non-comic geeks.  

No one that doesn't read Ultimates knows who the fuck Miles Morales is.  Miles will never be movie Spider-man.

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher Daniel Barnes, the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man from the 1990s Spider-Man animated series interview on Spidey in the MCU. Great read.:

For children of the nineties, there's no clearer voice to Spider-Man than Christopher Daniel Barnes'. Barnes, who voiced Peter Parker and Spider-Man on Fox Kids' Spider-Man: The Animated Series from 1994-1998, left an undeniable mark on The Wall Crawler. To many fans, Barnes is "their" Spider-Man; that singular voice in their heads whenever they read a Spider-Man comic.

As one of Peter Parker's biggest champions, Barnes has a lot to say about the character's current state of affairs, especially when it concerns Marvel Studio's and Sony's recent movie merger. Below, Barnes talked to ComicBook.com about Spider-Man's foray into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, his current voicework on Ultimate Spider-Man, and who he'd personally like to play in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Spoiler: It's not a Spider-Man character).

What do you think of Sony and Marvel Studios’ plan to bring Spider-Man into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the Avengers?

I love it. I love the Marvel Universe, and that they’re bringing it to the big screen in such an interwoven manner. One of the great things about the mythology is that, well, it is a mythology. It’s a whole world. So it’s great to see that these once-standalone stories are now weaving together into this big tapestry that’s rich, myriad and fun.

And what makes the Marvel Universe so fun?

It gives us angles to explore our somewhat-boring universe in fantastical ways. The purpose of mythology is to have the human experience written large. We can look at all the dilemmas we deal within our lives, and then we can see them projected onto this canopy of intensity and amplification. Mythology is the human condition through an amplifier and under a microscope simultaneously. It’s a better way to look into our world.

That’s why I like connecting all of these story lines. It enables us to do that. Look at the way Iron Man and Captain America interacted in the last Avengers film. That was really foreshadowing Civil War, which of course, is about our society.

Interesting. What do you think about Spider-Man receiving his second cinematic reboot in under 10 years?

I think it demonstrates Spider-Man's appeal and enduring legacy. In many ways, in the Marvel Universe, Spider-Man is a bridge between the boy and the man, the geek and the stud, the loner and the joiner. Spider-Man converges all of these things. I think that’s one of the things that’s made the character so interesting. Even going into Civil War, I think that’s one of the reason’s he’s so conflicted by [the superhuman registration act]. He represents the Marvel universe’s conscious. He bridges so many qualities. I think Spider-Man embodies the inner archetype of conflict maybe more than any other character in the Marvel Universe.

So in terms of rebooting him, I think it’s great that they’re allowing the character to expand in this new way. Of course, there’s always the danger of character saturation. The marketing can overwhelm people. Once you have too much of one thing, people get frustrated and turned off by it. But I think that they way they’re doing it, especially by bringing Spider-Man into the greater Marvel Universe, will add a new dimension that will have some new appeal.

What new dimensions do you think the Marvel Cinematic Universe will add to the Cinematic Spider-Man?

I think that the films have pretty much dealt with him as an individual in his adolescent phase, in the sense that he’s consumed with his internal dilemmas and how they affect his life. But I hope we’ll start seeing Spider-Man deal with society and group dynamics within the Avengers' larger scope. That represents a maturity of the character, and represents the natural progression of human consciousness from the “I,” “Me,” “My,” to, “Woah, I’m part of this larger community. What I do impacts a much greater area.” Of course, the whole idea of a superhero is that the superhero has the greatest influence. He is “super” because he has power that transcends your Average Joe.

That’s what a modern-day superhero is. It’s that wholesome saga where a character is touched by some divine power that makes them more important. That power makes them more relevant, because they’re entering a greater scope. I think we’ll see that evolution in Spider-Man.

Interesting. And who do you think should play the next Peter Parker and Spider-Man? Any advice for them?

No certain actors come to mind. I think that each avatar of the Spider-Man diety needs to be chosen from among people who really understand the age in which he’s being portrayed. And now that I’m older, I feel like I did a good job at what I did during my time, but I also feel like that role is something for people who are closer to the spirit of his age. And there’s always little differences, little variations, and I think that’s very important.

But for whoever they pick, I’m sure that as long as they stay true to the archetype and spirit of what Spider-Man is, they’ll do a fantastic job.

Cool. So if you could pick any role in the upcoming Spider-Man movie, which character would you like to play?

I actually find my interests gravitating more towards Doctor Strange. I would like to be some sort of villain in the Doctor Strange mythos, like Dormammu or Nightmare. You know, some sort of interdimensional power. The filmmakers could hook up all of the motion capture tech on me, and I could span dimensions, open portals, and cast bolts of mythic energy with some grandiose scheme.

Well, that would be pretty cool.

[Laughs] Yeah, I think so too.

So no particular Spider-Man character interests you? You’d rather just do a larger Marvel Universe villain?

I think I’d like to do a larger Marvel Universe villain. I voiced Electro on the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and I loved it. I did Spider-Knight too. I’ve had so much fun within the Spider-Man realm, but I think as the Spider-Man character grows and becomes integrated into the greater Marvel Universe, I think I would like to do the same thing.

That’s understandable. So how is it working on the Ultimate Spider-Man series? How would you compare working on this current series to the nineties one?

Well, as a famous man once said: “You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” So, the villain is the direction that I seem to have taken. But it’s a blast. I think that in some ways you learn more from the villain than you do from the hero. It’s fascinating and fun. And Electro is a great character, because there’s something sort of thuggish about the old school version of him.

Lightning Bolt Mask Electro?

Yeah! If you look at the old school comics, Electro is an archetype of what happens when you give too much power to someone with a big chip on their shoulder. He’s not a super villain. He’ s not the mastermind behind everything. There’s something sort of thuggish and broodish within him. He has this unhealthy sense of entitlement, which makes him a great character to play.

And back when you were playing Spider-Man himself, were there any “team-ups” with a fellow voice actor that you really enjoyed?

I remember that I had a great time with Mark Hamill, who voiced Hobgoblin. And I remember watching him in the booth and thinking, “This guy’s f***ing crazy" [laughs]. He had so much energy and vitality, and I had a great time working with him.

Back when you were doing Spider-Man: The Animated Series, that cartoon was probably one of the character’s highest budgeted and marketed entries in another medium. At the time, did you think that Spider-Man would receive not just a feature film, but multiple blockbuster franchises within the next few decades?

Absolutely. The mythology is so powerful, and it just speaks to people. There’s a reason that comics have endured for decades. They speak to us. I was at a panel recently, and I talked about how we don’t read Homer’s The Illiad or the Odyssey anymore. We don’t read Bullfinch’s mythology. Most people don’t read the poetic or prose Edda.

But they read comics. And that just speaks to something within our species, as the archetypes flow through us. They take different forms for different times, because they sing the same universal truths and human experiences to us. So I had no doubt that Spider-Man would go big-screen and become a multi-million or billion dollar franchise. He’s an archetype that seamless. He’s the quintessential hero’s journey in so many ways, especially in an age of inner conflict. The 20th and 21st centuries have really been characterized by inner conflict, what with the rise of technology. Spider-Man embodies that. It’s why he’s part science geek and part strongman superhero. He bridges these things.

Great points. Before we go, are there any other projects you want to talk about?

I basically do voiceover work these days. I don’t really do acting anymore. I left the business, but I still do voiceovers when they call me in. I have a lot of fun with that. I also write short stories, but they're pretty dark and twisted [laughs]. I published my first short story, called “The Warrior,” on Amazon just for the hell of it. If people want to read it that’s cool, but no big deal either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain America: Civil War spoilers...

civil-war-bucky-cap-im.jpg

If you've read the Civil War comics then you know that there's no way they could faithfully adapt the source material as Marvel simply doesn't have the rights to all the characters involved and the circumstances in the comic continuity just doesn't match the MCU continuity. That said, they've naturally found an organic way to "create" the Civil War in question and they've rounded up a great batch of "heroes vs. heroes" to compliment the new (and returning) villains. It's also to note that the project is referenced as CIVIL WAR, not CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. What that means is anyone's guess, but it's an interesting note. Here's the rundown:

Characters in CIVIL WAR:

Pretty much every Avengers character that DOESN'T have their own franchise is going to appear in CIVIL WAR. Some we already know about, including Cap (obviously), Winter Soldier, Falcon, Black Panther, Black Widow, Iron Man, and Hawkeye. We can also confirm the recently rumored Scarlet Witch, as well as The Vision, War Machine, and even Ant-Man. The non-hero villains are, as already confirmed, Baron Zemo and Crossbones. Now, our source also indicated that this roster has some wiggle room, so there's always the chance that a few may be shuffled out at some point, but right now this IS the plan. As for Spider-Man; Marvel is playing it close to the chest, so there's no info on how he's involved...yet. In terms of who's facing off with who: So far it looks like Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon vs. Iron Man, War Machine, The Vision, and Ant-Man, with the Scarlet Witch and Black Panther somewhere in the mix. Oh, and expect to see Ant-Man take on the Giant-Man form in battle. How cool will that be, eh?

Costumes in CIVIL WAR:

The Falcon will, in fact, be getting a costume upgrade for CIVIL WAR, which will be a modified version of his WINTER SOLDIER suit, but with grey and red colors, as per his comic origins. Captain America will be carrying over a slightly modified version of his AGE OF ULTRON suit, and so far The Winter Soldier will look very much as he did before, long hair and all. The coolest costume news is for Crossbones. Many of us are dying to see ol' Brock Rumlow in his trademark get-up and that will indeed happen. He's described as "messier" and the skull imagery on the suit is described as "graffiti-esque." And yes, he does indeed wear the skull mask that covers his entire face, which is said to be a hybrid mask/helmet. Think Army of Two.

CIVIL WAR story - comics to screen:

In Mark Millar's Civil War story the catalyst that sets off the "Civil War" is when the New Warriors destroy several city blocks in an attempt to apprehend a supervillain, causing the deaths of more than 600 civilians, prompting the Superhero Registration Act, which requires all superpowered beings to register with the government, reveal thier secret identities, and receive "proper" training and operate under the employ of S.H.I.E.L.D. Obviously, this has to be changed for the MCU version, and this is the basic premise; Instead of the New Warriors being the catalyst for the Superhero Registration Act, it will be Crossbones (in costume) who will be the catalyst that kicks off the film, instigating an attack that causes much death and destruction, causing the government to step in and put out the Superhero Registration Act.

The other element that will be a key focus is The Winter Soldier, whose existence is the big question as he has the ability to be a hero, but has also been a villain. This causes the main rift between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, as the disagreement leads them to opposing sides. The main thrust, as in the comics, looks to be "if there is a threat - should The Avengers show up, is it their place to do so, and what gives them the authority to do so?"

BLACK PANTHER in CIVIL WAR:

We all know that Chadwick Boseman will appear in CIVIL WAR, but his role in the war isn't one-sided as he'll have his own agenda in the film. There's been speculation that he'd take the Spider-Man role as it plays out in the comics, but that doesn't look to be the case. Either way, his involvement will still be significant.

Credit: joblo.com

Big cast. Hopefully the Russo brothers can balance it like they did with Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Joss Whedon's Avengers Assemble. That's a concern. I like how the solo films focus on that characters world before bringing them back together in Avengers films. Hope Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s supporting cast isn’t shortchanged, this is my other concern. I like the sound of the Winter Soldier's part. I see this as MCU's version of Civil War like Extremis and The Winter Soldier.

I was thinking that if they need a Super-powered person to cause mass death and destruction in a way that ties in with Shield... hasn't someone who is in SHIELD just now gained Earthquake powers? Which could potentially cause huge amounts of death and destruction?

Captain America: Civil War spoilers...

civil-war-bucky-cap-im.jpg

If you've read the Civil War comics then you know that there's no way they could faithfully adapt the source material as Marvel simply doesn't have the rights to all the characters involved and the circumstances in the comic continuity just doesn't match the MCU continuity. That said, they've naturally found an organic way to "create" the Civil War in question and they've rounded up a great batch of "heroes vs. heroes" to compliment the new (and returning) villains. It's also to note that the project is referenced as CIVIL WAR, not CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. What that means is anyone's guess, but it's an interesting note. Here's the rundown:

Characters in CIVIL WAR:

Pretty much every Avengers character that DOESN'T have their own franchise is going to appear in CIVIL WAR. Some we already know about, including Cap (obviously), Winter Soldier, Falcon, Black Panther, Black Widow, Iron Man, and Hawkeye. We can also confirm the recently rumored Scarlet Witch, as well as The Vision, War Machine, and even Ant-Man. The non-hero villains are, as already confirmed, Baron Zemo and Crossbones. Now, our source also indicated that this roster has some wiggle room, so there's always the chance that a few may be shuffled out at some point, but right now this IS the plan. As for Spider-Man; Marvel is playing it close to the chest, so there's no info on how he's involved...yet. In terms of who's facing off with who: So far it looks like Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon vs. Iron Man, War Machine, The Vision, and Ant-Man, with the Scarlet Witch and Black Panther somewhere in the mix. Oh, and expect to see Ant-Man take on the Giant-Man form in battle. How cool will that be, eh?

Costumes in CIVIL WAR:

The Falcon will, in fact, be getting a costume upgrade for CIVIL WAR, which will be a modified version of his WINTER SOLDIER suit, but with grey and red colors, as per his comic origins. Captain America will be carrying over a slightly modified version of his AGE OF ULTRON suit, and so far The Winter Soldier will look very much as he did before, long hair and all. The coolest costume news is for Crossbones. Many of us are dying to see ol' Brock Rumlow in his trademark get-up and that will indeed happen. He's described as "messier" and the skull imagery on the suit is described as "graffiti-esque." And yes, he does indeed wear the skull mask that covers his entire face, which is said to be a hybrid mask/helmet. Think Army of Two.

CIVIL WAR story - comics to screen:

In Mark Millar's Civil War story the catalyst that sets off the "Civil War" is when the New Warriors destroy several city blocks in an attempt to apprehend a supervillain, causing the deaths of more than 600 civilians, prompting the Superhero Registration Act, which requires all superpowered beings to register with the government, reveal thier secret identities, and receive "proper" training and operate under the employ of S.H.I.E.L.D. Obviously, this has to be changed for the MCU version, and this is the basic premise; Instead of the New Warriors being the catalyst for the Superhero Registration Act, it will be Crossbones (in costume) who will be the catalyst that kicks off the film, instigating an attack that causes much death and destruction, causing the government to step in and put out the Superhero Registration Act.

The other element that will be a key focus is The Winter Soldier, whose existence is the big question as he has the ability to be a hero, but has also been a villain. This causes the main rift between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, as the disagreement leads them to opposing sides. The main thrust, as in the comics, looks to be "if there is a threat - should The Avengers show up, is it their place to do so, and what gives them the authority to do so?"

BLACK PANTHER in CIVIL WAR:

We all know that Chadwick Boseman will appear in CIVIL WAR, but his role in the war isn't one-sided as he'll have his own agenda in the film. There's been speculation that he'd take the Spider-Man role as it plays out in the comics, but that doesn't look to be the case. Either way, his involvement will still be significant.

Credit: joblo.com

Big cast. Hopefully the Russo brothers can balance it like they did with Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Joss Whedon's Avengers Assemble. That's a concern. I like how the solo films focus on that characters world before bringing them back together in Avengers films. Hope Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s supporting cast isn’t shortchanged, this is my other concern. I like the sound of the Winter Soldier's part. I see this as MCU's version of Civil War like Extremis and The Winter Soldier.

I'm intrigued by Ant-Man's inclusion.