DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

if there is a reboot after Phase III, then i ride quietly into the sunset. the Marvel Studios flicks have made my inner child incredibly happy, but i don't need to play 'diminishing returns' like Sony's doing with Spider-Man. 

i mean, really. 60ish years of Marvel comic book history and we can only get three phases? i'm cool if the stories keep going. for example, if Steve Rogers retires, someone else takes over the Cap role for a movie or whatever, then they re-cast Steve when he returns to the Cap role. 

Inhumans question: back in the day when I read comics, they wore masks.  Looking around at some pics, it seems that they mostly don't anymore, though Black Bolt does.  Why does Black Bolt wear a mask?  I mean, I'm guessing the real reason is that Black Bolt looks really cool and taking off the mask would hurt the look.  But I wonder if there's an in-universe reason. 

Anyway, I'm just thinking about that because the guy who plays him will seemingly have to get across his emotions and whatnot while not speaking and wearing a mask.  Tough to pull off. 

Inhumans question: back in the day when I read comics, they wore masks.  Looking around at some pics, it seems that they mostly don't anymore, though Black Bolt does.  Why does Black Bolt wear a mask?  I mean, I'm guessing the real reason is that Black Bolt looks really cool and taking off the mask would hurt the look.  But I wonder if there's an in-universe reason. 

Anyway, I'm just thinking about that because the guy who plays him will seemingly have to get across his emotions and whatnot while not speaking and wearing a mask.  Tough to pull off. 

Don't think they've ever explained why he still wears a mask, in and of itself, but the "tuning fork" attached to the mask's forehead is supposed to control and amplify his powers.   I assume that's the reason BB has kept his mask through the various character redesigns, though, since the mask is presumably attached to the mask and not his forehead, I don't know why they wouldn't just come up with some other way to control his abilities (tuning fork in back pocket, embedded in skin, etc.).  The real answer is probably that Black Bolt has a good look as is, and the other characters didn't (hence the various redesigns).

IIRC, the Inhumans lost their masks when the Imhumans limited series by Jenkins and Lee came out.  Jae Lee redid the character designs and most characters lost their masks.  Didn't really make much sense since there was no reason for the characters to wear masks in the first place.

• Like 1

The Inhumans occasionally still wear masks. Last time they did it was for Black Bolt's believed death in War of Kings.

• 2 weeks later...

www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/14/daniel-bruhl-cast-as-villain-in-captain-america-civil-war

"Daniel Bruhl (Rush, Inglourious Basterds) has been cast as the villain in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War."

"Meanwhile, Variety says their sources claim that Bruhl is not the main villain in Civil War but “could potentially be the top menace in Marvel’s Dr. Strange.” Hmmm... Since Downey, Jr. will presumably already be serving as an antagonistic force to Cap, you have to wonder how many villains or how big the villain's role will be in Civil War anyway."

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck.

Lesser of two evils.  I was dreading the Joachim Phoenix version of Dr. Strange.   Great actor but has taken the turn on Batshit Insane Boulevard lately.

I may be alone, but I was actually more interested in seeing Phoenix get the role. I like Cumberbatch. I love Sherlock. But he's in every movie in every genre, and we can kind of tell what he'll be like as Strange. Phoenix as a superhero with the potential to interact with the guys in the Avengers? That was more interesting to me.

• Like 2

Cumberbatch is pretty well known in geek circles but I don't think he's any kind of mainstream star. Maybe if he wins an Oscar for Imitation Game but right now outside Khan I don't think your average moviegoer has any idea who he is. He's certainly not a bigger star than Paul Rudd.

I was kind of hoping they would break their pattern of going for the "up and coming talent" and pick an established star to play Strange. I thought the early rumors of Depp were great - although the more I see him, the more I'm convinced he has become so self-indulgent he couldn't dial it back if he tried - and was really hoping Phoenix would get the nod when his name came up. I like Cumberbatch but I'm not sure he can do the kind of weirdness I want to see from Strange.