DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

Tried to make it through The Act of Killing (attempt #2) so I could get to The Look of Silence. Made it a solid 35 minutes before I quit. Not happening, captain. Just a little bit too much for me.

There is a special place reserved in Hell for these folks.

You really need to push through. It's worth it.

Tried to make it through The Act of Killing (attempt #2) so I could get to The Look of Silence. Made it a solid 35 minutes before I quit. Not happening, captain. Just a little bit too much for me.

There is a special place reserved in Hell for these folks.

You really need to push through. It's worth it.

I keep putting it off for the same reason. I can only handle a difficult sit every few months, not because I'm easily phased or anything, but it's more because I tend to wear that stuff in my mood for a couple of hours - days afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0l1Z3sZCf4

Got around to watching Zoo the documentary about the horse "enthusiasts" up in the Seattle area from years ago and the death of one of them.  Felt for the brother of Mr Hands when he had to clean up his personal effects and found his brothers video collection among other things 

• 3 weeks later...

When discussing that movie, it's important to remember that one of the key figures in it (the woman who said her roommate was assaulted after her, the roommate, and the guy all went out drinking) is lying. The makers didn't question her story at all. She accused the guy of raping her roommate and held up a used condom as "proof". Problem is, that condom was...hers. Used THAT DAY. In other words, her story is simply not credible.

Also, the movie consistently equates rape and sexual assault. The 1 in 5 stat only applies if you take a very broad - not wrong, just broad - definition of sexual assault. The problem is that most people hear "sexual assault" and think rape. They don't think "butt grabbed at a party". Obviously neither one is ok but advocates with an agenda intentionally use that misunderstanding to make the problem seem worse than it is.

Having said all that, the movie IS still horrifying in a lot of ways. I think a lot of times schools are in a no-win situation but their responses have still been awful a lot of the time.

When discussing that movie, it's important to remember that one of the key figures in it (the woman who said her roommate was assaulted after her, the roommate, and the guy all went out drinking) is lying. The makers didn't question her story at all. She accused the guy of raping her roommate and held up a used condom as "proof". Problem is, that condom was...hers. Used THAT DAY. In other words, her story is simply not credible.

Also, the movie consistently equates rape and sexual assault. The 1 in 5 stat only applies if you take a very broad - not wrong, just broad - definition of sexual assault. The problem is that most people hear "sexual assault" and think rape. They don't think "butt grabbed at a party". Obviously neither one is ok but advocates with an agenda intentionally use that misunderstanding to make the problem seem worse than it is.

Having said all that, the movie IS still horrifying in a lot of ways. I think a lot of times schools are in a no-win situation but their responses have still been awful a lot of the time.

What I found most horrifying was the University's lackluster responses and the fact that most campus and local police seem to indulge in a culture of victim blaming. I think Invisible War and It Happened Here were better documentaries on sexual assault. I'm also the father of two girls; one in her junior year of high school and the other who is only 16 months as well as having two sisters and many nieces. So, I admit to being biased.

I agree.

However, like I said, a lot of times schools are put in no-win situations - victims wait months to report something, there's no evidence, etc.

I've never really understood this whole "OMG, THE DEMOCRATS WERE HORRIBLY RACIST IN THE 1860s" point that people throw around,

Yes. And that was bad. And a problem. In the 1800s. How this nullifies the GOP's oppressive and racist Voter ID laws and the rise of Trump now is beyond me.

And smh at them not even getting the woman who plays Hillary a proper wig. Man, can't your rambling self-indulgent crazy paranoid political documentary/fantasy have some decent production values? 

• Like 1

I've never really understood this whole "OMG, THE DEMOCRATS WERE HORRIBLY RACIST IN THE 1860s" point that people throw around,

Meanwhile they never avow their Great Emancipator, Mr. Lincoln, and what he said about the Negro during the Lincoln/Douglas debates.  Tear down the Confederate flag everywhere but plaster your Mr. Lincoln on everything you can find.  Shameful.

"How can the democrats never apologize for Robert Byrd?!"

Well, um, the man said himself he was sorry for his actions.  Many, many times. He spent a lifetime making up for it. 

You'd think that would be enough.

Rewatched The Jinx: The Life & Deaths of Robert Durst in between basketball games over the weekend with my girlfriend whose never seen it before.   Still completely captivating.

Now appreciating the soundtrack.   Fresh Blood by The Eels and You Ain't Lost by Band of Skulls is going into the iTunes search this afternoon.

IMO, Durst isn't very interesting. He's a crazy rich guy. And he got away with it all because, well, he's a crazy rich guy. 

No wit. No brains. Just enough money for a great legal defence. It's a bit boring. Durst couldn't even fake innocence all that well. 

Granted, I think Adnan Syed is equally guilty of murder, but at least Adnan still had the ability to turn on the charm and seem like a regular, likable person and is why everyone can buy why Koenig bought his BS. 

Watched Barkley Marathons over the weekend.  It's about this 130 mile trail run race in Tennessee created by this crazy old hick.  I highly recommend checking it out.

Nintendo Quest, on the other hand, was pretty awful.  All about a trip to find all 600 something NES cartridges without buying any online.  Which turns into a group of way too many people going to about 6 stores and pathetically trying to barter collectors.  I'm a sucker for any road trip documentary, but this is one of the worst I've ever watched.

• Like 1