DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

Watched the first episode of it on Netflix with friends last night and we were immediately hooked, to where we planned out if we three only have one night out to hang a week we're binging on it to try and get through all ten goddamn hours. I had NO IDEA it was gonna be that long but from the first ep, it looks worth it. 

Watched the first episode of it on Netflix with friends last night and we were immediately hooked, to where we planned out if we three only have one night out to hang a week we're binging on it to try and get through all ten goddamn hours. I had NO IDEA it was gonna be that long but from the first ep, it looks worth it.

I watched all 10 hours in less than a day. It's TOTALLY worth it.

Predictably, the prosecutor is claiming that Netflix and their producers left out all the damning evidence to make the State look like monsters.

He followed up that comment with "but I haven't watched it" which kinda says it all.
  • Like 1

The guilt or innocence of Avery really isn't the point of the doc. It's about the justice system and officials in Manitowoc County clearly engaging in a whole lot of fuckery and illegal actions to get a conviction. If Avery actually did it or not is secondary to the purpose of the series. I do wonder how long Kratz was under the influence. You would assume that would throw doubt on every case he worked on from the time his drug abuse started. I wonder if the Avery cases were during that time.

• Like 1

Maybe enough people have watched it now but I'll continue on with the spoiler boxes for sure to ask some of the many questions surrounding Making A Murderer

Re: other possibilities

So we assume that at bare minimum the police had tunnel vision and were not interested in investigating anyone else other than Avery but does anyone else think it's really suspicious that 1. Her roommate didn't report her missing for four days and 2. The ex-boyfriend "guessed" her voicemail password and deleted voicemails from her phone and then said he couldn't remember if it was daytime or nighttime the last time he saw her?

Re: Brenden

If his IQ is 70 as they said then at the very least he has mild retardation. How is any confession even admissible at that point? How is he even tried as an adult/normal functioning human being?

Re: evidence

No blood or DNA found in the house or the garage? Vial of blood from 1985 appears to be tampered with? None of her DNA on the key and the key isn't found out in the open mind you until after the seventh search? Plus, the state changes their thought that it happened in the bedroom and says no it was the garage but then in Brenden's case the theory is back to being the bedroom? what the fuck?  How it that even legal to change course trial to trial?

Watched the first two episodes of Making a Murderer. It's pretty fucking brutal and incredibly depressing.  It made me think of the This American Life last year where they interviewed a mentally disabled man who had been arrested over 100 times, sometimes for "loitering" at the gas station where he worked, except even more fucked up and enraging because the stakes are so much higher.

Watching 30 for 30: Four Falls of Buffalo on Netflix and this is like an hour and a half gut punch.

I can't even imagine actually being a Bills fan, I feel sick just from watching this.

The idea that Avery's trial

established Brendon wasn't involved

,then

Brendon being convicted anyway and denied appeals

is insane.

What kills me is this:

The DA saying during Avery's trial that he was the one and only killer. And then prosecuting Brendan anyway - and winning. How the hell does that fly? And his defense attorney is ruled incompetent for letting him being interrogated into a confession but the confession still stands?!?! WTF.

Maybe enough people have watched it now but I'll continue on with the spoiler boxes for sure to ask some of the many questions surrounding Making A Murderer

Re: other possibilities

So we assume that at bare minimum the police had tunnel vision and were not interested in investigating anyone else other than Avery but does anyone else think it's really suspicious that 1. Her roommate didn't report her missing for four days and 2. The ex-boyfriend "guessed" her voicemail password and deleted voicemails from her phone and then said he couldn't remember if it was daytime or nighttime the last time he saw her?

Re: Brenden

If his IQ is 70 as they said then at the very least he has mild retardation. How is any confession even admissible at that point? How is he even tried as an adult/normal functioning human being?

Re: evidence

No blood or DNA found in the house or the garage? Vial of blood from 1985 appears to be tampered with? None of her DNA on the key and the key isn't found out in the open mind you until after the seventh search? Plus, the state changes their thought that it happened in the bedroom and says no it was the garage but then in Brenden's case the theory is back to being the bedroom? what the fuck?  How it that even legal to change course trial to trial?

As someone who was pretty obsessed with the Paradise Lost documentaries & the WM3 (my friends and I were metal heads in junior high and early on in high school after which I was goth, we were pretty convinced they would have rounded up & executed us all had it been us) none of this shit surprises me at all. It's just the rural Midwest instead of the South.

Interesting article regarding Making A Murderer, only read this after you've finished the series, SPOILERS.

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/is-steven-avery-guilty-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

Dean Strang was interviewed about this. Apparently some of it is complete crap (i.e. theories) that Kratz stated then and had no real evidence to back it up on. Strang poked holes in all of it if you're interested he'll be on the Reasonable Doubt podcast soon to discuss it all. 

Here's one example:

There were three calls to Teresa sure and two of them were *67 but one of them was not. Witnesses from Autotrader, where she worked, stated that Teresa told them she was going back over to the Avery's. Also, Steven used I think his sister's name or something like that because it was her van Teresa was looking at that day. So this idea that Steven lured her over there, I'm finding it difficult to buy

Interesting article regarding Making A Murderer, only read this after you've finished the series, SPOILERS.

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/is-steven-avery-guilty-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

Dean Strang was interviewed about this. Apparently some of it is complete crap (i.e. theories) that Kratz stated then and had no real evidence to back it up on. Strang poked holes in all of it if you're interested he'll be on the Reasonable Doubt podcast soon to discuss it all. 

Here's one example:

There were three calls to Teresa sure and two of them were *67 but one of them was not. Witnesses from Autotrader, where she worked, stated that Teresa told them she was going back over to the Avery's. Also, Steven used I think his sister's name or something like that because it was her van Teresa was looking at that day. So this idea that Steven lured her over there, I'm finding it difficult to buy

Kratz is such a vile piece of garbage. 

Watching Making a Murder.

I can honestly say that Brendan Dassey's interrogation is one of the most disgusting and blatantly manipulative things I've ever seen in my life.

Not getting into what Avery did or didn't do, but those detectives should be in prison based on that footage alone.

I mean, you just know if they'd have pressed hard enough they could have gotten him to confess to killing Biggie and Tupac too.

What happened with Avery was terrible, but at least their "OK, we think he did it, so will plant a bit more evidence to seal the deal" idea has some sort of warped logic, even if it's still unjustifiable. 

What they did to that kid, however, was just pure fucking evil.  

• Like 1

You're about to go to jail FOREVER, you've been framed by psychopathic cops, your lawyer is hideously corrupt, your life is all but over and...your biggest concern is missing WrestleMania.

Now that is a dedicated fan. Puts us all to shame. 

IMO, Avery could feasibly be guilty (no way is the evidence there for a conviction though), but the Dassay situation is worse because they have absolutely nothing on him. It's infuriating.

Avery, I'm like: "Eh, let him appeal and hopefully he'll get out."  Dassey, meanwhile, I almost feel like organizing some Shawshank Redemption-style prison break out for the kid right this instant. His story is the more disturbing of the two. 

Avery's ex fiancee Jodi weighs in, and it is certainly damning, but why wait until 10 years later, why wait until the series came out? Crisis of conscience, motivated by the sympathy garnered from the documentary? Or was it a big payday offered by Nancy Grace who has believed Avery guilty all along?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Steven-Averys-Ex-Fiancee-Jodi-Says-Hes-a-Monster-365276441.html

I think Dean Strang nailed it in the final episode: A big part of me hopes Steven Avery did do it, because the thought that he didn't, and is innocent, and this guy has now been framed TWICE by sleazy, inept cops simply because he was a redneck hick they didn't like is too horrific to think about. 

• Like 1