DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

It might have been talked about in the previous 18 pages of this thread, but I'm an hour into Deep Web and holy fuck is it super interesting. The Dread Pirate Roberts saga captivated me when it was going on and then the Wired article came out, but this goes head first into it (not to mention the discussion about Tor/online privacy/cryptography/Silk Road). I've just started to dive into using Tor and stuff over the weekend, still kind of scared to really get deep into it because the regular internet can be nasty enough. But the entire thing is just so fascinating.

"Jaco" (as in Jaco Pastorius) on Netflix is pretty damn great. I'm not sure if you MUST be a jazz guy to enjoy it but it probably wouldn't hurt. I really enjoyed it. Rob Trujillo produced it and you can tell it's a real labor of love.

On 18/06/2016 at 8:03 PM, (BP) said:

I thought this was going to be a study on a quirky fetish, but this looks kind of chilling. 

Saw Tickled last night (in a theatre, so you're going to have to wait a bit to see it unless it's playing near you).  Don't want to spoil anything, but it's really really good.  Amazing story with a great payoff, and I don't mean to take anything away from the movie by saying this, but it was jaw-dropping to the point where I was wondering afterwards if it was actually real.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think mention was made of it awhile back but I don't even think I saw the trailer. You gotta love seeing Sexy Star saying wrestling saved her life and the very next shot is her getting facebustered, haha... and then, your joy is drowned in the sadness of Perro Jr. talking about how your career can either be very long or very short.

This was produced by Tommy Avallone, the guy that made I Am Santa Claus. He was sort of a local legend at the movie theater I worked at in high school for shooting no-budget movies locally and organizing screenings there. It's really cool that he's found success with DIY productions. It's on Netflix instant now.

Has anyone watched The Woman Who Wasn't There (2012)? It's about Alicia Head, who becomes the President of the World Trade Center Survivors' Network support group and was an inspiration to so many 9/11 survivors...only to have a backstory of sheer insanity. Crazy stuff, but a solid little hour of viewing.

I know someone talked about it - I feel like it was on here but it seems like it was awhile ago too.

It clearly falls into the "I don't know if I could watch it for how much it would infuriate me" category

On 8/5/2016 at 4:51 PM, RIPPA said:

I know someone talked about it - I feel like it was on here but it seems like it was awhile ago too.

It clearly falls into the "I don't know if I could watch it for how much it would infuriate me" category

As someone who has seen it, it's definitely infuriating. 

• 2 weeks later...

The technical / computer forensics parts of Zero Days are fascinating.

The geopolitical conspiracy stuff is a bit ham fisted, but it's nothing that you haven't already heard about from your favorite news outlets.

I love how the code crackers in the documentary talk about the Stuxnet investigation with such enthusiasm, as if they actually believe that anyone other than a fellow hacker is going to find anything they are talking about to be interesting.

The important takeaway is that you probably shouldn't shed too many tears for the US over the cyber intrusions we face daily from the Chinese and Russians and such because we're doing quite a bit of net banditry ourselves. 

The part about George W Bush = Father of Cyberwarfare and the segment covering the Umm Errr back and forth between Congress, Homeland Security, and the NSA are both fucking crazy..

Number One With A Bullet is a pretty heavy doc about violence in hip hop. It doesn't just cover Tupac, Biggie etc. but lesser known victims of gun violence like The Last Mr. Bigg, who got his eye shot out and replaced it with a glass eye that has a diamond pupil; also a crazy Juggalo group that are filmed hanging out with strippers and openly snorting coke among a table covered in weed and pills. Some strong words from doctors and luminaries like KRS-One. It's pretty harrowing, about on the level of the Crips and Bloods: Made In America doc that Fusion likes to air a lot too. 

BTW, Viceland has (of course) been airing a lot of good docs but Black Market with Michael K. Williams is probably the best one. Since they ran through the initial season with him they started Black Market: Dispatches which is the same thing with different hosts. Fuck, That's Delicious is also getting a second season. That's about 1000 X better than watching Bronson smoke dabs and watch Ancient Aliens (or watching the other fat chef on there, Matty Mathieson, who has to be one of the most irritating people to get their own show ever). 

Party Legends needs to be caught too. Bushwick Bill has a jaw-dropping story about the night HIS eye got shot out, Dennis Rodman talks about breaking his dick... it's wild, to say the least.

• Like 1

Black Market and Cyberwar are fucking aces.  I love VICELAND.

I have heard good things about #1 With A Bullet, but I know I will be an emotional mess by the end of the credits.

I am not sure if I need to watch Party Legends and learn all of the gory details about Dennis Rodman breaking his junk.

They replayed some of the Rodman thing on @Midnight and I REALLY didn't need to hear it again. However, he is such a strange and fucked up human being and it's almost hypnotic listening to him speak. Some of the other good ones on there are Eric Andre on taking bad molly, Alia Shawkat getting shaved and sleeping with an unnamed major actor (I'm thinking it was somebody like Elijah Wood), Margaret Cho drinking Jager out of a statue of Anna Nicole Smith (from its pussy, of course), the fact that Bobcat Goldthwaite was close friends with Nirvana, etc. That new WWE show Story Time looks like a straight ripoff of Party Legends down to the different animation for each person/tale. 

And yeah Number One will wreck you. I saw most of it before and thought "well lets see if it has the same effect" -- yep. I think Quincy Jones was listed as one of the producers in the credits at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...