DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

On 10/5/2016 at 3:56 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Well, here's two that will make you want to kick in your TV screen.

Saw this last night. Basically, it's mass incarceration/Jim Crow/American civil rights movement/War on Drugs/crack epidemic documentary for dummies. The most intriguing part was the segment on ALEC just because I currently work for a company that formerly sponsored ALEC. I think the first hour is fine, but the last 25-30 minutes (which covers everything from Trayvon to Laquan McDonald) drags a bit just because I don't think anyone wants to hit on the real issues. You can't spend the first hour talking about how clearly devious politicians have been setting up a new system of slavery over 100 years and new Jim Crow system over 50-75 years and then be like, "See Obama visited a prison! People are noticing!"

For me, it's just the weirdest vibe. I see where Ava was going, but you shouldn't end up with that result. Outside a few compelling sections, if you've seen some recent documentaries on the same subject, it's basically an updated, much shorter Eyes on the Prize TBH.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 2:24 PM, RIPPA said:

That was more terrifying than horror film I ever watched

CLIMB, GODDAMN YOU~!  FUCKING CLIMB~!!!

For those of you that wish to be terrified by computers and are subscribed to the Showtime Networks, Zero Days is playing on heavy rotation.

As a matter of fact, it is on tonight @ 8:30 EST on SHO2.

On 11/10/2016 at 5:24 PM, CSC said:

Oh good, I didn't like sleeping anyway.

The documentary mostly covers the stabbing incident but there is supposed to be quite a bit of content about the "birth" of the Slender Man.  Eric Knudsen aka Victor Surge, the Slender Man's de facto creator, said that he was extensively interviewed for the documentary.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Filmmakers just won't let a brother behave.  Yet another movie coming out soon designed to make me set my movie seat on fire.

Considering I doubt this will air in a theater anywhere close to your crib, you will have to light the bar stools you bought over a XBONE on fire instead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh for fuck's sake.  There is some cinema obscura for you.  I have seen a grand total of one Weng Weng movies so I am looking forward to that documentary.

It goes without saying that I will also check out the Mifune doc.  I wept buckets when he died back in '97 and I will be a hot mess when Sonny Chiba joins him in the Hall of Japanese Badasses in the Great Beyond.

On 11/23/2016 at 10:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Why oh why does fucking Keanu have to be narrating that? Couldn't they just have Siri or one of those other phone voices do it instead? That would've been better. 

Keanu has that perfect narrator's monotone and he has earned enough badassery stripes to narrate the documentary celebrating the life of a badass like Mifune.