DVDVR Message Board

What modern wrestling needs is...

Ramsey

Rules and enforce them. If a match is supposed to end if either wrestler or both wrestlers are outside for a count of ten DO IT. Don't have them outside for 3 minutes while the ref acts like hes doing a ten count at the very end!

This also ties into heels not being able to be "heels" anymore that always gets thrown around. How are you supposed to get heat if the bulk of the rules to break are ignored anyways? 

That and the overuse of closed fist punches over the last 15+ years has irritated me

Less writers and more bookers. I know its not coming back, at least not in Vinceland, but the competition(TNA or whoever), ought to stop trying to be wwe lite. I haven't watched a weekly show of either in more than ten years, and I've read nothing online that will bring me back. I know I'm a fringe of a fringe audience, but going a more serious direction should be an option.  If/when the TNA deal finally falls through and Spike still has the wrestling itch, is ROH an option for a tv deal? 

this is one of those posts that i want to write an essay as a response but never will because we all already know the answers.

that said:

more variety in characters and matches and wrestling styles.

meaningful titles.

hate feuds. with or without blood. it works best when used sparingly.

oh, and more "on-a-pole" matches.

• Like 1

Less writers and more bookers. I know its not coming back, at least not in Vinceland, but the competition(TNA or whoever), ought to stop trying to be wwe lite. I haven't watched a weekly show of either in more than ten years, and I've read nothing online that will bring me back. I know I'm a fringe of a fringe audience, but going a more serious direction should be an option.  If/when the TNA deal finally falls through and Spike still has the wrestling itch, is ROH an option for a tv deal? 

How about just less Vince?  I know the announcing would at least be better without his influence.

• Like 2

I am hoping that AAA on el Rey is a success and caters to the 18-34 male demo cuz I think that Is lacking in wrestling today. Evolve and DG USa might be that but you dont really hear much about them so i dont know if they do or not.

Yeah to piggyback on the less writers - I've been saying forever now no more scripted promos. Scripted promos are the worst. Let guys cut their own promos. If they can talk, they can talk. If they can't, either book around it or.....*gasp* bring back the idea of managers.

Heck, if Lana has proven anything, enough women/wanna be actresses are interested in wrasslin' nowadays that you can kinda double dip and have managers who are both hot girls and can cut a promo for a guy who can't.

I don't know if Lana has a real "money" promo in her, though. She's probably 70 percent eye candy/30 percent manager.

And all blood does is take me out of the fantasy of the match and remind me that these poor bastards are cutting themselves up for my amusement. I don't like feeling sorry for the wrestler who's bleeding buckets during the match.

Another one....punches. Christ, it's one of the most basic pieces of a pro wrestling match and it's like some sort of lost art. Dear EVERYONE ON THE WWE ROSTER, take advantage of the giant video vault you have access to and watch some Memphis wrestling or a Bobby Eaton match.Better yet, Jerry Lawler works there, ask him how to throw a goddamn punch. The camera guys who zoom in then run away from your weak ass mounted corner punches and "beat down flurries" will thank you.

Less meaningless wrestling: Even though WWE produces something absurd, like 7 or 8 hours of wrestling each week, they are only producing 1-2 hours of storyline based wrestling  All of the rest is basically filler. I don't know why this is. Maybe they need a writing staff of 75.  In the past filler served some kind of purpose (squash matches that built someone up, etc.) Today, there is a lot more of it and all most of it does is make everything stale. 

In the past few days there have been many words devoted to ADR and what went wrong. Maybe close to 100 tv matches over the last two years with little to no feud/angles, etc? How can you remain fresh when every week your job is to wrestle long matches and work in your signature spots.

Listening to the fans: If you go through WWE history, time and time again, the WWE has been sure of what the next big thing is and strapped the rocket ship. And more often than not, they are wrong. It's not entirely their fault. It is incredible difficult to figure what is going to take off. But we're at a very weird transitional time, where the audience believes they deserve a say in what happens. This makes it that much harder for the office to get their new big thing over. Instead of fighting it, WWE should embrace it.  If fans are getting behind someone, it's really ok to push them. The world will not collapse on itself and if things do not work out, there is always next week. 

Time Limit Draws to return. It adds a potential finish. Due to MMA, even the judges panel actually makes more sense in today's wrestling. You can have matches that go to a time limit draw where one guy dominates the match so decisively, but he cannot put his opponent away, which leads to some fun hope spots and possible upset flash pins as you enter the time limit's home stretch.

Say a tv match gets a 30 minute time limit. You could have a look at the judges' scorecards in ten minute intervals.

• Like 1

A corrupt judge would be a way to get a new manager over every couple of years. But that's the thing: you could only run judge screw jobs every few years.

Think of it like whatever TNA thing it was with the judges who talked to the guy after he wrestled for a contract. You could pull all sorts of angles out of those things all while keeping the judging thing as a finish you went to once every few months.

Blood feuds.  

Blood doesn't even have to enter the equation.  I want to have that feeling like I did when I was younger that some guys who just HATE each other and want to hurt each other as bad as they can.  

Ambrose and Rollins is the only feud that approaches this right now.  They should be escalating their rivalry to a natural conclusion be it a cage match so Rollins "can't escape" or a strap match or something appropriately violent.  

I'm not advocating blading or whatever but if Ambrose and Rollins feels like some color would sell the angle/put someone over/make more money then I want them to be trusted as talent to do what they feel is right.

• Like 2

Blood feuds.  

Blood doesn't even have to enter the equation.  I want to have that feeling like I did when I was younger that some guys who just HATE each other and want to hurt each other as bad as they can.  

Ambrose and Rollins is the only feud that approaches this right now.  They should be escalating their rivalry to a natural conclusion be it a cage match so Rollins "can't escape" or a strap match or something appropriately violent.  

I'm not advocating blading or whatever but if Ambrose and Rollins feels like some color would sell the angle/put someone over/make more money then I want them to be trusted as talent to do what they feel is right.

I agree with this. I don't think we need people bleeding in every match like it was 1995 and we're in Philly but a blade job now and then would make things a little more intense.

• Like 1

You people need to watch when NWA had judges on the network. It sucked. Frankenhooker was a judge though.

I own Frankenhooker on DVD. I bought it because of the box quote from Bill Murray.

Anyways...

What modern wrestling needs is...an enema.

• Like 1

You people need to watch when NWA had judges on the network. It sucked. Frankenhooker was a judge though.

I own Frankenhooker on DVD. I bought it because of the box quote from Bill Murray.

Anyways...

What modern wrestling needs is...an enema.

Does WWE have any upcoming shows in Pittsburgh?

• Like 2

As for an actual suggestion, I'd like to see WWE broken down into two seasons: Wrestlemania Season and the Night of Champions Season, moving Night of Champions to October. Obviously, SummerSlam and Survivor Series would remain as special events, akin to what the Royal Rumble is. However, with having two separate seasons, you can give some wrestlers much needed time off, whether if that is for the full season or only part of it. It also allows the WWE writers to mainly focus on writing story arcs for only 5 to 6 month periods since there's no way they can do that for a full 12 months.

• Like 1

I love the idea of seasons. I've been watching RAW from 1994 during the baseball strike, and the tag line is "Our Season Never Ends." The supposedly heart-warming nature of the commercial juxtaposed against how many wrestlers have died or been seriously injured precisely because the WWE calendar has guys working three hundred dates a year has really bothered me quite a bit. 

Craig H's idea would really save the lives and bodies of countless guys. Think of someone like Dolph Ziggler, who seems to bump like a madman whether he's on PPV or Main Event. He'll be in a wheelchair if he's bumping like that for 275-300 dates a year for twenty years. 

Ring names that aren't just a first name and a surname. Imagine if the Undertaker debuted now - he'd get billed as something like Rudolph Tombstone and never get as over as he did. Wrestling needs more names like the Warlord, the Barbarian, Ax or Smash....names that sound a bit more intimidating.

• Like 2